Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,427,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Pizza dough is so easy, you'd be surprised. It might use $1. worth of ingredients, if that. I don't even really measure and it comes out fine. Just dissolve a yeast pkg in 1 1/2c warm water with 1t sugar and about 3T olive oil. Add 2-3 cups of flour, mix well, and let it raise in the bowl a half hour or so. Then just form it into a ball-using enough flour so it doesn't stick, plop it on a greased sheet pan and spread it out with your fingers. If you want you can let it set until later and it will rise more. Top with a can of pizza sauce and the toppings you like.
I think those Bobolis are super expensive and they taste like cardboard.
I agree . . . the on Boboli I ever dried was horrible. I am very impressed with our dough (and other bread) makes. The truth is that I love to cook and good but yeast dough and I have never had a very happy marriage. My results are usually too heavy. This sounds easier than some I've attempted -- I'm saving it for future use. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:33 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,564,872 times
I always make my own pizza dough. It is very simple and easy.

Since I never measure, I don't have a recipe, but the secret (for mine) is adding garlic salt to the dough and only making enough for one small crust, because my crust has a way of ....MULTIPLYING!

I used to make pizza crust for a pizza chain, so I had an idea on what to use and how much.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,427,144 times
Again, I have great respect for all of the homemade doughmakers. I saw another glazing typing booboo on my part last night. Sorry!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:12 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,172,073 times
I use the cheap Jiffy Bread dough or this brand that I pick up from Walmart. I add in olive oil, garlic powder, and Italian seasonings to give it flavor. I tried making dough from scratch a few times but it was just too much work for me. Maybe on a weekend I'll try it again and freeze extras. I pre-bake the crust as instructed and top it with slices of provolone cheese.

I use a higher quality tomato sauce and seasoning it much like the crust. Then I add on anything from different meats to artichoke hearts and other veggies. I top it with mozzarella and parmesan. Sprinkle on more Italian seasonings and a little salt and pepper. Bake until toppings and cheeses blend!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:09 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,725,533 times
Thanks everyone.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:35 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,699,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Pizza dough is so easy, you'd be surprised. It might use $1. worth of ingredients, if that. I don't even really measure and it comes out fine. Just dissolve a yeast pkg in 1 1/2c warm water with 1t sugar and about 3T olive oil. Add 2-3 cups of flour, mix well, and let it raise in the bowl a half hour or so. Then just form it into a ball-using enough flour so it doesn't stick, plop it on a greased sheet pan and spread it out with your fingers. If you want you can let it set until later and it will rise more. Top with a can of pizza sauce and the toppings you like.
I think those Bobolis are super expensive and they taste like cardboard.
I use a recipe similar to yours. Great crust and easy to make.

Then add:

Marana sauce (drained slightly)

Shredded cheddar and Moz cheeses

And lots of toppings (all fresh): meat, mushrooms, onions, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, ...

Topped with a bunch more cheese

It always ends up about 4" thick but SOOOOO good.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,754,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Aldi's has a premade pizza shell in the bread section. It is passable, but with the costs of ingredients you might has well go to your local pizza joint for what you know will be a delicious pie!!!

Once tried biscuit dough as a pizza crust base. My son and husband still laugh about the biscuit pizza!!
Oh wow. My Aldi doesn't carry those ... I would be all over them! I get mine at Meijer, though, and their prices aren't bad. Cheaper than Boboli--but they don't have whole wheat crusts.

I love the Thai Chicken pizza from California Pizza Kitchen, so I want to make this sometime:

Thai Chicken Pizza - All Recipes

Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,708,676 times
If you ever attempt to make your own pie, give yourself a treat and use fresh mozzerella, the kind in liquid. It's extremely difficult to grate, most cube it and it will melt into a solid mass blanket. This is what high end pizza joints that charge $20 per pizza use. Most pizza places, including your mom and pops joints, use low quality cheese that separates into greese when heated. You could buy Boboli crust and sauce, and use fresh mozzerella and it probably be the best pizza you've ever ate if you've never been to a high end place.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 AM

507 posts, read 2,300,648 times
I usually buy the whole milk mozzarella, and it is so much better than the bagged and shredded Kraft, of course its alot more fattening too!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM

50,416 posts, read 64,161,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I always make my own pizza dough. It is very simple and easy.

Since I never measure, I don't have a recipe, but the secret (for mine) is adding garlic salt to the dough and only making enough for one small crust, because my crust has a way of ....MULTIPLYING!

I used to make pizza crust for a pizza chain, so I had an idea on what to use and how much.
Good Idea, and there's nothing stopping anyone from putting other things they like into it, like herbs or fresh garlic or a little grated parmesan, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes