Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:34 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Frozen bread dough makes a good crust. As do: English muffins, pita bread, wheat tortillas, slightly stale French or Italian bread, or grated zucchini mixed with egg and grated cheese.

For sauce, just tomato paste mixed with a little water, garlic and herbs. I prefer more sauce than cheese; most commercial pizzas are the other way around.

In talking with a longtime friend the other night, the topic of taco pizza came up, and my spouse had never heard of it. The warm crust is spread with hot refried beans, and topped with warm spiced meat, and fresh diced tomatoes, onions and garlic, sliced jalapeno peppers, and a mix of monterey and cheddar cheese. Yum. I'm going to have to make one soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:49 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
In talking with a longtime friend the other night, the topic of taco pizza came up, and my spouse had never heard of it. The warm crust is spread with hot refried beans, and topped with warm spiced meat, and fresh diced tomatoes, onions and garlic, sliced jalapeno peppers, and a mix of monterey and cheddar cheese. Yum. I'm going to have to make one soon!
We sprinkle corn chips on top of all you listed as well on our taco pizzas.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
The Publix bakery has fresh pizza dough. too. I've tried it twice, but never gotten the knack for rolling it out. It's always been too thick for me. Any secrets? I've tried tossing it, but we won't go there!
I make my own dough from scratch. It's really very easy, just need to plan at least a half day ahead to allow time to proof and rise, but if that's not for you, then try the Publix, or the Trader Joes.

The trick is to let it sit out at room temp for AT LEAST 30 minutes, an hour is better. When it sits out, the dough softens and the glutens relax, so the dough is more stretchy. Try this.

When you take it out of the bag, dust it with about a tablespoon of AP flour. Some of the flour will just fall on the counter (make sure the countertop is CLEAN and DRY and SMOOTH). That's OK, just make a loose pile with it, as it will keep the dough from stocking to the countertop.

If you don't have a Pizza Stone, go out to Home Depot, or to Lowes and buy four (4) UNGLAZED brick tiles. They are 8" square each, so the four of them will make a 16" square. (in my opinion, this is better than a Pizza Stone, because you have more room to make it land on the stones). Preheat the oven to at least 500f, and let it preheat for at least 30 minutes after the light comes on, so that the stones are really hot. Make sure the rack is on the lowest, or second lowest setting, and remove the other rack so you have plenty of room above to work with.

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble, but it really isn't anything. I'm just typing a lot to explain it. So far you've floured a ball of dough, and put some brick tiles in the oven and turned it on.

If you are careful, you can stretch the dough by hand, but if you're worried about tearing it, you can use a rolling pin. Just keep rolling from teh middle to the outside, focusing on keeping it as round as possible. Don't be afraid to gently reshape it by pulling gently with your hand, or pushing a section in to make it look round (or leave it funky shaped, which is cool).

When the pizza is shaped, put it on a peice of Parchement Paper, as this will allow you to easily get it off your Pizza Peel or your Cutting Board into the oven, without any effort. Now that the dough is on the parch paper, and on the board that you'll use to transfer it, you're ready to build your pie.

I like to put about 1 tbs of EVOO (olive oil) on the top of the dough, and use my hands to gently blot it over the whole crust. It should be just barely damp, but not puddled. Then the sauce. I use pre-made sauce, homeade is just not worth the effort IMO. Spread the sauce with the back of a tablespoon evenly, leaving about 3/4" of dough NOT covered, for the actual crust. I use approximately 8 oz on a 14" crust. Personal preference, but use more than you'd think, as some will evaporate during cooking.

If you want, you can sprinkle some grated parm cheese and/or some oregeno on the sauce now. Optional.

Now add your cheeze. Shredded Mozz, or a pizza blend is good. I use about 8oz on a whole pie, but only put about 2/3 on now, as the rest will go on the top.

Now add your toppings. My daughter likes Pepperoni, my wife and I like Sausage Pepper Onion, but whatever you like, just add it. Be careful to not use to many "watery" toppings like tomatoes, or they will make your pizza soggy.

Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, it will melt in and "glue" the whole pie together. You can sprinkle more Parm or Oregeno on top, if you want.

Now, you are ready to put the pizza in the oven. If you want to make it really good, put two ice cubes on the floor of your oven. The steam will make your dough rize better, and give a better crust.

Since you built your pizza on a parchement paper, slide it right onto the stones. Go nice and slow, and use a spatula to guide it. If it's not on center, you can just grab the paper with your hand to move it some.

Close the door, after about five minutes the crust is set, you can use your spatula to lift the dough off the paper and hold it in place, and just slide the paper out so the pizza is cooking directly on the stones. Keep the door closed as much as possible, but you can also twirl the pizza 180 degrees so it cooks evenly.

When you think it's done, let it cook another minute or two, you want to top to be brown, and the underside to be nice and crusty.

when it's time to get it out, just hold your cutting board in front of the oven rack, and use a spatula to slide it onto the board. Easy-Peasy.

LET THE PIZZA COOL for at least 5 minutes, otherwise it will ooze all over the place.

Enjoy, and revel in the praise. You'll be the pizza hero.

Even though this is a really long post, it is not difficult. If you break it down into simple steps, you will see that there is nothing complicated. Handling the dough takes a little practice, but just go slow and it will be OK. If you make a huge mistake on the dough, form it back into a ball, let it sit for at least 15 minutes, and start over with it.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:30 PM

302 posts, read 580,237 times
I made pizza the other night. I have an easy dough recipe that makes 4 crusts, I prep the pans by greasing them and then sprinkle them with corn meal. I usually just stretch the dough to the edges with my already oily hands, while I work with the dough for one batch the next batch is being kneeded in the mixer. I make the dough and parbake them at 375 for about 12 minutes- the other day I made 12 circles and I was done with the dough and ready to bake in about an hour. When cooled the crusts can be wrapped and frozen for the next time or you can make the pizzas and then freeze them. Parbaking helps to keep the dough from getting soggy. After assembling the pizza I bake it at 400 for about 14-16 minutes.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:44 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof11 View Post
I made pizza the other night. I have an easy dough recipe that makes 4 crusts, I prep the pans by greasing them and then sprinkle them with corn meal. I usually just stretch the dough to the edges with my already oily hands, while I work with the dough for one batch the next batch is being kneeded in the mixer. I make the dough and parbake them at 375 for about 12 minutes- the other day I made 12 circles and I was done with the dough and ready to bake in about an hour. When cooled the crusts can be wrapped and frozen for the next time or you can make the pizzas and then freeze them. Parbaking helps to keep the dough from getting soggy. After assembling the pizza I bake it at 400 for about 14-16 minutes.
I do the same thing, pre-bake the crust. However, I add the sauce, cheese, and toppings then freeze and wrap once frozen.
I use to buy the box jiffy dough, but have been making my own for years now.
Simple recipe for 1 crust:
1 package yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 ts salt
1/2 ts sugar
1 tbs oil

Pour yeast in bowl and dissolve with warm water. Add rest of ingredients and mix with fork until ball forms. Cover with plate and let rest in warm water until ready to use. I get the pizza pan prepared and chop veggies then just roll out the dough with a rolling pin. I usually pre-bake for 10 minutes and then prepare the pie. This makes for a crisper, puffier crust. My son prefers his crust thinner, so I don't pre-bake his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes