U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:42 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,248,337 times

Advertisements

What are some of your homemade pizza recipes? I'm looking for store bought ingredients, not completely from scratch. I do have a relative who makes pizza totally from scratch, dough, sauce everything. I've never had a better pizza, but that's too much work for me. I love pizza, it's just a lttle expensive around here. I'd like to make some good pizza at home and save some money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 02:02 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,560,201 times
I thought about doing this a few weeks ago.
I tried several times to make/buy a decent pizza dough but never had any luck. In college, decades ago, I used to purchase Chef Boy Ardee pizza in a box and made edible pizzas for that time of my life. Similar to thin crust pizza and I added my own toppings--fresh mushrooms, olives, extra cheese, pepperoni, ground beef and sauce.

If I decide to make my own pizza again I might purchase a Boboli ? and add the toppings.

There is one frozen brand that isn't too bad and sometimes they are on sale.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:09 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,746,555 times
To make a good pizza you need the finest of ingredients which will come close to the price of a good pizza palor..so why bother.IMO ..But I do find using italian bread rather than dough is alittle easier or that Boboli is good like take said.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:01 PM

13,801 posts, read 23,287,865 times
The only places I find Boboli never have it on sale, and calculating the price of the crust, plus the toppings and cheese, plus my time (most valuable) I don't think there's any money to be saved. A two pack of Boboli here costs around $5, and that's just the crust!

Pizza Hut and Little Caesar's each have $5 one-topping medium pizza deals, and even the large pizzas any way you want them are still only around $15. When I order delivery, I usually get 2 medium or large pizzas and I never spend more than $25.00 including delivery charge and tip. The trick is to ask them what specials they have going when you call, or just order online and check the deals there.

But I do occasionally crave a homemade bbq chicken pizza, and then I'll buy all the stuff and make it - another option is to buy the raw pizza dough at Trader Joe's - they are like $1.29 for one crust.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The only places I find Boboli never have it on sale, and calculating the price of the crust, plus the toppings and cheese, plus my time (most valuable) I don't think there's any money to be saved. A two pack of Boboli here costs around $5, and that's just the crust!

But I do occasionally crave a homemade bbq chicken pizza, and then I'll buy all the stuff and make it - another option is to buy the raw pizza dough at Trader Joe's - they are like $1.29 for one crust.
That's good to know, about the Boboli. I would pay $1.29 for dough.

I have eaten a good slice of pizza at Sam's Club and that is generally enough pizza for me. Their pretzels are also good and huge.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:45 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,526,924 times
The Publix bakery has fresh pizza dough. too. I've tried it twice, but never gotten the knack for rolling it out. It's always been too thick for me. Any secrets? I've tried tossing it, but we won't go there!

Old 12-21-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
The Publix bakery has fresh pizza dough. too. I've tried it twice, but never gotten the knack for rolling it out. It's always been too thick for me. Any secrets? I've tried tossing it, but we won't go there!
This is why I'd rather buy pizza.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:03 PM

727 posts, read 1,744,814 times
Bakeries have pizza dough for cheap.......or Boboli's.....not too expensive!! I make seafood pizzas....best thing in the world.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:09 AM

4,742 posts, read 16,533,569 times
I usually buy the pre-made shells, Boboli or Mama-Mia (I think), then use the Ragu Homestyle sauce, mozzarella, a little sharp cheddar and pepperoni. For a twist try using French bread.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:16 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,248,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Bakeries have pizza dough for cheap.......or Boboli's.....not too expensive!! I make seafood pizzas....best thing in the world.
What's your recipe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes