Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:23 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times

Advertisements

I encountered a recipe for "the best yeast rolls ever." The person posting the recipe stated that everyone loves the rolls so much that he felt he needed to publish the recipe so that everyone could enjoy his family recipe. I read the recipe and I just couldn't see how the yeast would survive the process, but what do I know? Maybe this odd procedure is the "magic" in this recipe. Well, last night I made a "dry run" to test the recipe and guess what? The yeast didn't survive the process, and I was left with a lump of raw, dense dough.

I know how to fix the recipe, but that's not the point - it was procedurally incorrect, and sweet yeast rolls are just about the easiest things to bake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 03:32 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
I never liked allrecipes.....
I have a few favorite sites.
My latest is Pinterest.....
Lots of great tried & true stuff there.

I can size up a recipe & know if it's
gonna work or not most of the time.
I always, always love Paula Deens recipes....
They're foolproof & easy to lighten up.
Even though I have a ton of
her recipes saved I was in the bookstore
the other day & bought one of her cookbooks, lol

Old 04-14-2016, 05:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Moth View Post
...My cooking skills aren't that good, so I pretty much have to follow the recipe. Thanks to the internet, though, I'm getting better now that I can research and find out more information. I like to know why things have to be done a certain way. I tend to want to skip steps if it looks like too much work because I get back aches from standing at the counter too long. Cookbooks don't tell you the why, but food articles on the internet do!
You're right. It helps to have an understanding of a particular cooking process. For example - with a braising recipe - it might be tempting to skip the yucky splattering part of the recipe. Which is heating what you plan to braise on relatively high heat - usually with a little olive oil or similar and caramelizing the outside before cooking low and slow to cook the meat overall.

I braise a few times a year (I especially like the boneless short ribs I buy at Costco).. It is always a PITA IMO when it comes to the initial cooking. So I make a lot of whatever I'm cooking - at least 3 meal's worth. So it's worth my time/effort - and the resulting mess. Robyn

Old 04-14-2016, 09:12 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
I use the internet as a recipe source all the time but I don't usually try online recipes unless there are many reviews from people who've actually tried it. A pet peeve of mine are blogs where there will be multiple comments on how good the recipe LOOKS but nobody has actually tried making it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes