U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM

3,224 posts, read 6,552,623 times

Advertisements

I'm going to make beef stroganoff for the first time tomorrow!

Anyone have any suggestions/hints they'd like to share?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:05 PM

13,801 posts, read 23,285,314 times
Put the meat in the freezer for about 30 minutes before slicing - it will make it so much easier for slicing as thin as possible. You want the slices to be like shavings for good stroganoff. I make mine by sauteing sliced onions with some salt first, setting those aside and then sauteing the beef, a few slices at a time - don't overwhelm your frying pan with all the meat at once. You can use a meat tenderizer on the beef before cooking if your slices come out thickish. Use beef stock to deglaze pan, add some Wondra, and then when it's thickened you can add a bit of mustard, and some sour cream after you take it off the heat. Throw the meat and onions back in the pan, and serve over a platter of buttered, parsleyed egg noodles.

This same recipe works with meatballs, and sometimes I add sliced crimini mushrooms to the mix.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 PM

29,030 posts, read 28,005,257 times
Don't overcook the meat. You saute the vegetables and meat separately, then combine them with the sauce ingredients and heat again. If you undercook the meat the first time around, when you combine all ingredients and heat through, it won't be overdone.

The following recipe uses ketchup. Don't. Some people use a dab of tomato paste, but I don't use that either.

Beef Stroganoff Recipe Request

Recipes sometimes sound a bit weird. When I read that I thought it said to boil the beef in broth. Um, no.

Saute the onion, sliced or chopped, not minced, until it's about 3/4 cooked. Add the mushrooms and garlic, if using, and finish cooking. Sear the meat; don't cook it through. Some recipes say to deglaze the pan with brandy then add the broth. A whole can sounds a bit much to me.

What you want to end up with is fillet or steak in a sour cream sauce with mushrooms and onions. Never loose sight of the final objective.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:56 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,872,535 times
KETCHUP??? EUUUWWWWW

I like to add a little sherry or white wine to mine. About 1/4 cup for 6 servings, with the broth.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,111,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I'm going to make beef stroganoff for the first time tomorrow!

Anyone have any suggestions/hints they'd like to share?
A good cut of meat cooked medium-rare, definitely sherry and sour cream, and I like mushrooms in mine.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,011,693 times
I miss Rice-a-Roni Stroganoff.

Of course a Home Made one can't be beat.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:07 AM

3,224 posts, read 6,552,623 times
Thank you for all of your help everyone-I'm looking forward to this meal!

Didn't know about freezing the meat a bit for easier cutting...awesome tip!

A lot of the recipes I've found call for ketchup but that sounds icky to me so I'm going to omit that.

I'm going to use lots of fresh mushrooms and onions...

Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,845,164 times
I made a "fake" beef stroganoff one night for dinner..I had a pound of ground meat that I couldn't decide what to do with. browned it, mixed in a can of cream of mushroom soup and a jar of beef gravy. served over noodles and my 14 yo son thought it was great. talk about easy too~!

Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,923,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I made a "fake" beef stroganoff one night for dinner..I had a pound of ground meat that I couldn't decide what to do with. browned it, mixed in a can of cream of mushroom soup and a jar of beef gravy. served over noodles and my 14 yo son thought it was great. talk about easy too~!
I've done that but not the jar of beef gravy but the brown gravy packets instead. My kids LOVE IT! It is easy to do and something quick and at least decent for them to eat and the added bonus that they SCARF it down. If I dare tell them I'm making Beef Stroganoff and it is not this way....... they get mad. LOL!! Okay, easier and cheaper for me.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:56 AM

9,718 posts, read 5,952,018 times
I use the crock-pot for my stroganoff. Layer the sliced beef (1.5 to 2 lbs.), season with salt and pepper to taste, 1 small or 1/2 large diced onion, 1 chopped garlic clove, 1 beef bouillon cube, 8oz. mushrooms (I do part cook fresh mushrooms just to get most of the water out), 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of white or red wine, TSP worcestershire sauce mixed with 1TBSP flour.
Cover and cook 6-7 hrs. After done, mix in 1 8oz. container of sour cream and add fresh parsley.
Serve over egg noodles. Easy and good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes