Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:56 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,287 times

Advertisements

A coworker's son who worked there gave it to me!

PRIAZZO (Pizza Hut Recipe) from the 1980s
Pizza dough with some cornmeal, garlic powder and oil is rolled out like pie dough into a thin crust placed into an angle-sided pan which has been sprayed with Pam. The dough overlaps the sides and makes a wall to hold thick pizza sauce--which is much like lasagna sauce that has been pre-heated before ladled into the pan.

Add toppings from below. Another crust goes on top. Pinch like a pie crust.

Add another layer of the mozarella, cheddar and Monterey Jack blend with sauce. (Pizza Hut has several different cheese blends that they use. One source says the "cheese blend" was actually made of four cheeses (sharp Cheddar, Edam, Romano, Parmesan)while another source thinks it was a blend of 6- Mozarrella, Cheddar, Parmesan, Provolone, Monterey Jack, and Romano.)

TOPPINGS: Layering is strictly important. Separating the cheese layers with meat before adding the wet ingredients (i.e. peppers, mushrooms, or what have you) will improve texture. Try to use fresh vegetables too. It prevents hydration of dry ingredients that can occur. For added flavor try fire roasting any vegetable that will be used.

Roma- Use green pepper, black olives, mushrooms, pepperoni, Italian sausage, ground beef, Mozarella, onion and cheddar. (I didn't care for the ground beef.)

Godfather's- add Monterey Jack, parmesan, ricotta to above.

Milano- Meateater's Delight also has Canadian bacon but no onion.

Florentine- 5 cheeses- (Ricotta, parmesan, romano,mozarella, cheddar) with ham and a touch of spinach.

Priazzo Napoli added tomato slices on the top layer.

To keep the top crust from getting too done, cover it with foil for most of the cooking time and then remove it during the last 10-15 minutes of baking so the crust will brown

Melted butter/garlic spread on the top crust and sprinkle some parmesan cheese is a tasty topping and helps it bake more evenly and turn more golden brown.

A longer bake time is required, at a lower temp than you usually have for pizza in order to cook the middle of pizzas with extra toppings and on pizzas with fresh ingredients.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 38,602 times
Oh my gosh, I can't believe finding the recipe for the priazzo. I worked there making the priazzos in those Years. I loved the Milan, and I can't remember the name of the one that had meatballs in it. These are so hardy and really are the most delicious pizza pies you could possibly try. Thanks so very much for the recipes for the absolutely scrumpsious priazzo pizza! I am going to make one for my children to try. THANKS again, JINA

Old 06-03-2014, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 60,463 times
Priazzo is the //only// good chain pizza I've ever eaten. No, it's not "authentic", but it really tastes good -- not like something off an assembly line.

Unfortunately, it was horribly expensive, which probably explains why it's no longer available. Somebody should revive it.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:22 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Well, define "authentic." Pizza as we know it was invented in the USA by someone trying to turn a buck -- like whoever owns Pizza Hut. Priazza as I remember it was more like pizza rustica -- which is far more authentic if you are an actual Italian.

Does anyone know if they use a suggestion box at Pizza Hut? Maybe they'd be open to trying it again.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:31 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Does anyone know if they use a suggestion box at Pizza Hut? Maybe they'd be open to trying it again.
Please tell us about your experience regarding any of our restaurants

You could suggest a suggestion box?
Nah, everything's gone online

Old 06-22-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Please tell us about your experience regarding any of our restaurants

You could suggest a suggestion box?
Nah, everything's gone online
Same difference, my friend!

Old 06-23-2014, 01:16 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
...Pizza as we know it was invented in the USA by someone trying to turn a buck...
Instead of those who hope to open restaurants that operate as non-profit establishments .

Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 60,463 times
@Cliffie... By "authentic", I mean an actual dish served in Italy.

I'd assumed priazzo was Pizza Hut's idea of deep-dish pizza, but it obviously resembles pizza rustica. I couldn't find any details about pizza rustica, but I'll accept that it's really native Italian.

"Pizza as we know it" is pretty sorry stuff. Over the past 50 years it's been degraded to be as un-Italian and tasteless as possible. There are two shops in Seattle selling "authenticated" Neapolitan pizza (great, but expensive). But trying to find "real" American-style pizza (ie, New York style) is an exercise in frustration. When I lived in New York 45 years ago, it set the standard for non-authentic-Italian pizza.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzledGeezer View Post
"Pizza as we know it" is pretty sorry stuff. Over the past 50 years it's been degraded to be as un-Italian and tasteless as possible.

It's the American way!

Old 03-04-2019, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 11,456 times
Thank you, One Day Atta Time, for posting this recipe! I remember being a bit young and inexperienced to try it when it first came out. Spinach on pizza? I tried a bite of someone else's Florentine and it was love at first bite! I don't know anyone else who remembers it. Thank you for the clues on how to make it. Someone invited me to a pizza place, so I looked up their menu. They had a pizza with ricotta on it which made me think of Priazzo. It's good to know somebody else remembers that! (Deep sigh) Good times...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes