Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,367 times

Advertisements

Putting this thread together as a spin off of another thread on here. Please feel free to post your favorite latin recipes for all to enjoy.

I'l post a few in a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
I hope you're planning to post the recipe for Cuban lechon! I already know how to make moros and platanos.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,367 times
I'm actually typing up a receipe for Pernil, which is pretty much the same as Lechon asado. I love that !

Old 02-03-2009, 01:29 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,959 times
Default I posted one for Lechon Asado a few weeks back

Here is the link:

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...-shoulder.html

Old 02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,745,922 times
I know plenty of recipes for Cuban food, what would you all like???

Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,051 times
Columella Salad:

Addito in mortarium satureiam, mentam, rutam, coriandrum, apium, porrum sectivum, aut si non erit viridem cepam, folia latucae, folia erucae, thymum viride, vel nepetam, tum etiam viride puleium, et caseum recentem et salsum: ea omnia partier conterito, acetique piperati exiguum, permisceto. Hanc mixturam (with, etc.) in catillo composurris, oleum superfundito.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:07 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
Columella Salad:

Addito in mortarium satureiam, mentam, rutam, coriandrum ...
Thanks Minathebrat. I was waiting for that I took two years of Latin in Catholic high school. I enjoyed it Let's see... "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres ..." I will try to read your recipe

Old 02-03-2009, 10:34 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Fried, smoked mozzarella with slow-roasted tomatoes and basil in a balsamic reduction (my recipe for you guys to try!)

Ingredients
Smoked mozzarella (comes in a fat, round ball – cost is usually $4-$7 for each ball)
Eggs
Flour
Bread crumbs
Salt
Pepper
Garlic: dried garlic pieces or garlic powder both work
Dried oregano
Extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Fresh basil
Dried thyme
Vine-ripened tomatoes (bright red in color)

Slow-Roasted Tomatoes
Preheat oven to 250F and get out a large baking ban. Rinse tomatoes and remove them from the vine. Cut each tomato in half from side-to-side (as opposed to top-to-bottom). Drizzle some olive oil in the bottom of the baking pan and lay each tomato half in the pan, skin-side down. Drizzle the tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, and thyme. Place in the oven. After about two hours, remove the tomatoes from the oven, but do not turn off the oven – the tomatoes are less than half done. Carefully remove the skin from each tomato half. The skin will have begun to separate itself from the fruit by now, which facilitates this step. Make sure that all of the oil, vinegar, and juice from the tomato is well-distributed in the pan as to prevent the balsamic vinegar from drying onto the pan's bottom. Return the tomatoes to the oven for about three more hours. After 5+ hours, remove the tomatoes from the oven. You will notice that the tomatoes have greatly reduced themselves in size – this is because the water has been given off in the form of condensation, which just leaves the concentrated flavors of the tomato combined with the ingredients that you have added. For this reason, always make more tomatoes than you think you need – each half is tiny when it comes out of the oven after the 5+ hours have passed

Fried, smoked mozzarella
About 15 minutes before you want to cut the mozzarella into discs, put it into the freezer. This makes the mozzarella firm and allows a sharp knife to cut more easily through it. A $4-$7 ball of mozzarella should yield about 6-9 slices. Prepare three small bowls: one with flour, one with egg (mixed whites and yolk), and one with bread crumbs (seasoned to your preference). This is called a standard breading technique – each mozzarella slice is first coated with flour, then with egg, and finally with breadcrumbs. Allow these slices to sit for at least 15 minutes after breading so that the breading adheres itself well to the cheese – you don't want it to fall apart while it fries. After this time has passed, coat the bottom of a frying pan with olive oil. Note the amount of oil that it took to cover the bottom – you now want to add that same amount a second time. Heat the oil to medium-high, and fry the discs on both sides until golden brown. Remove from the oil and set on a plate.

Balsamic reduction
A balsamic reduction may sound fancy but in reality it is just a generous serving of balsamic vinegar that has been heated on the stove to render out the water and concentrate the deep, sweet flavors of the vinegar. To do this, put a generous serving of balsamic vinegar in a sauce pan or small frying pan – coating the bottom should be enough. Bring it to a rapid boil on medium-high heat, and then reduce the heat to medium. After about 4-5 minutes, the vinegar will have reduced enough to coat the back of a spoon. This reduction should not be made until right before you are ready to serve the dish.

Basil chiffonade
Again, a fancy name for something that takes under a minute to do. From a bunch of basil, pluck several large leaves. Rinse them well because basil often has some dirt and sand on it. Pile all of the large leaves on top of each other and then roll them like you would a cigar. Cut the basil "cigar" into thin "rings" – just run your knife through it in about five or six places up and down the leaf. This makes a basil "confetti" that adds both color and flavor to the dish.

Assembly
I have served this dish two ways:
1)Family style – this is informal and is good for a crowd. Simply find a large serving tray and lay out the mozzarella and tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and sprinkle with a generous amount of basil chiffonade.
2)"Tower" style – this is a more formal way to serve the dish to an individual. Take out a small, appetizer/bread plate. Place a mozzarella disc in the center of the place, then a tomato, then a mozzarella disc, then a tomato, then another mozzarella disc, and finally another tomato. Drizzle the "tower" with the balsamic reduction, and distribute the basil all around and over the tower.

Tip: *If you were to do this from start to finish, it would take you six hours. That is daunting to most people (and often it is to me too!), so I would suggest roasting the tomatoes ahead of time (they keep well in the refrigerator for up to a week) and breading the mozzarella up to 24 hours ahead of time. This way, if you are getting home from work and need to have dinner on the table soon after, it will only take you ten minutes to assemble this dish! The only things you shouldn't do ahead of time are the things that are super fast – cutting the basil and reducing the balsamic vinegar.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 PM

Arañitas (literally means "little spiders) - these taste similar to crispy garlic potato chips

Ingredients:
Green plaintains (not the ripe, yellow ones)
Minced garlic
Salt/pepper

Remove the skin from plaintains and grate the fruit with a cheese grater that has large "holes." I have a four-sided box grater and I use the side with the biggest "holes" - you want the grated plaintain to be strong and not break apart when you handle it, so do not grate it finely.

Mix the grated plaintain with minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Heat oil on medium-high heat. When the oil is ready, pick up some of the plaintain strands mixed with garlic and place them in the hot oil. Each little mass should be about the size of the lid of a jar of tomato sauce or apple sauce. Make several masses and make sure that the masses aren't touching so that they don't stick together. These cook very fast, so when they start to brown, take them out of the oil, pat dry, and apply a little bit more salt. Serve warm!

This recipe is great for an appetizer or snack and children love them.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 PM

If anyone would like my personal recipes for picadillo, vaca frita (shredded and fried steak with garlic, peppers, and onions), pan-seared chicken, sweet plaintains, or key lime pie, please let me know and I will be glad to post them. These recipes and the ones I have already posted are some of the items that my friends and family most frequently request that I prepare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes