Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:26 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,631,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
Crisp, I think in my local grocery the biscuits are kept near cookie dough, there will be crescent rolls, cinnamon rolls, cookie dough & biscuits. If that's not the way your local store is organized ask an associate for help. I used cheap buttermilk biscuits that were 53 cents a can.
Thank you; I will look for them when I go to the grocery store on Saturday morning. Can't wait to try this; I love donuts but haven't had one in a while!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,678,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I really want to make this, but I am not familiar with canned biscuits. Where are they usually in the grocery store, and are there brands for which I should specifically look? I might try this on Saturday or Sunday morning if I can get my hands on some of those biscuits!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
Crisp, I think in my local grocery the biscuits are kept near cookie dough, there will be crescent rolls, cinnamon rolls, cookie dough & biscuits. If that's not the way your local store is organized ask an associate for help. I used cheap buttermilk biscuits that were 53 cents a can.
Yes, they are in the refrigerated section where you will find the eggs, butter, etc. I also get the generic CHEAP ones and sometimes they are 4 for $1. So we can have homemade doughnuts for about 2 cents apiece. LOL!!!

If this is going to be your first time making them:
Drop one of the doughnut holes into the oil first to see if it is hot enough. You don't want the oil TOO HOT but just right which is tricky. When you drop it in (don't throw it in or you will get splashed w/ hot oil but rather use some tongs or a fork w/ a long handle) the oil will bubble around it. This means the oil is ready. Be careful if you get the oil too hot or else the outside will burn and the inside will still be doughy. As it turns a light golden brown you need to flip it gently so as not to splash hot oil on yourself. I'd recommend not putting in too many at one time since this is your first try. As the other side turns golden take it out and lay it on a plate with paper towels on it to soak up the grease. Ice or dust with cinnamon sugar or whatever you desire. Our family likes the chocolate icing.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,991,638 times
We use packaged biscuit dough for dumplings in stew or soup also.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:32 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,631,614 times
I would like to thank the OP for the recipe and everyone else for their tips; I made the donuts this morning and they turned out very well. I have attached a picture of them below.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:08 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,661,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I would like to thank the OP for the recipe and everyone else for their tips; I made the donuts this morning and they turned out very well. I have attached a picture of them below.
OMG, that picture is making me SO hungry! Thanks for posting it.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:55 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,186,962 times
We love these. Sometimes we just cut the biscuits into fourths and make all donut holes. You can roll a few chocolate chips into the centers to make chocolate filling. YUM!

Old 02-17-2009, 04:25 PM

821 posts, read 2,004,975 times
ok, those look so good
I feel deprived as a child now, we never had those when I was growing up

Old 12-28-2009, 10:03 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,682,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
We use packaged biscuit dough for dumplings in stew or soup also.
I've also sprinkled them in cinnamon sugar, then layered them on top of fruit for a quick cobbler. I love the idea for using them as dumplings though. Good idea! Thanks for that. We never buy them unless they happen to come on sale though. I have a great home-made bisquick recipe that I make up....huge batches at a time. Then, I use it for everything under the sun. LOL

Old 12-28-2009, 11:04 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,541,081 times
I've been cooking since I was a little girl, and I have never fried anything in a pan like this! I've never made pan-fried chicken or donuts or wontons or anything like this. Too scared I'll mess it up.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 PM

25 posts, read 41,553 times
my family , esspecially my son very love all about donuts,and all taste.from strwaberry,,,chocholate,cheese...etc
maybe i'll make it on this week end....
hope they love it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes