Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 12:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to thank you all for this great thread and all the wonderful recipes. I have not only copied them, I have shared a few w/ friends today, who are already writing me back and thanking me.

Really appreciate all the great ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
It is a great thread, isn't it?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:10 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,392 times
I love this kind of thread.....it's warm and fuzzy! I left city-data for quite a while because of some not so nice posts (not in this section)....I missed the great posters so I came back a while ago and I'm glad. Back among friends! And the following just fits for some reason.....my RECIPE for friends in the recipe section:

Train counter

:>)

Old 07-28-2009, 01:14 PM

497 posts, read 1,176,299 times
This is a great thread. I started reading it from the beginning and made the corn dog casserole last weekend. So good!!!!

Old 07-28-2009, 02:22 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
I just stumbled upon this thread and its awesome! I love the pics so you can compare the recipes..

Hey Laura-Avid cat woman here too!!

Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
A lot of us have made Laura's recipes and they are great.......hopefully you clicked on and took the tour of her boat also. Makes me want to be a stowaway!

Old 07-28-2009, 03:44 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Ssshhh Crazy you gave us away! LOL

Old 07-28-2009, 04:10 PM

497 posts, read 1,176,299 times
I did watch the slide show and it was so awesome. Made me homesick for the Mississippi. I grew up in St. Louis and some of the slides looked exactly like the river there. The Mississippi is so timeless. Oh, the stories she could tell!

Old 07-28-2009, 06:11 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
I am really glad all of you are enjoying this thread. Wouldn't my Captain and crew be shocked if all of you showed up with me? We could say you are all my assistants? Cooks in training? Chefs that have come to cook for them?

Stories to tell? I reckon I have a few I could share. I had been off for some reason (Hurricane Gustav I think) and they did not have a cook until I came back.. Want to talk about a crew being happy to see a cook? Anyway, the guys had taken turns cooking. The Captain told me that Marc had cooked a meatloaf with a attitude one night.. "Attitude, what did that mean", I asked.. He said he was unsure what he made it with but it must have been with a armadillo because it really had a attitude! See picture of armadillo below>

Same time he told me about another crew member that made Taco Soup and he raved and raved at how good that was and told me I should learn to make that and cook that for them sometime... they all loved it. He was suprised as all get out when I told him I make it all the time and he never tried it, he always just ate the main dish and that was all and suggested maybe he should check what was in ALL the pots on the stove.

One of the things that cracked me up was when they were talking about a real slow deckhand we had on the boat.. Someone made a remark that he just wasn't the sharpest knives in the drawyer. Our mate said "Heck, he is in that drawyer laying in there by the spoons and wondering where all the knives are!" I laughed and laughed and laughed..

Another guy came off of tow, was hot, sweaty and dirty and walked to the dryer to get his clothes. He started folding them and let out a yelled "DARN IT!!!!" We all jumped and asked what happened... He said "I HATE it when I do that!"... we asked "WHAT?".. "I hate it when I am folding my clothes and touch myself like that!"... Oooooo! We ALL busted out laughing at what he had said and when he realized what it sounded like he turned bright red and started stuttering "NNNNO! NNNNO! THAT is NOT what I meant!!!!!!!" We all laughed and laughed over that. (What he was upset about was his clean clothes brushing against his dirty, sweaty clothes)

I would love to be able to tell you about the funny story our Captain told about when he and our engineer sunk the skiff but you would have to see the visuals to get that one. He yelled "BOB! IT's SINKING.... GET ON THE BOAT!.... BOB? BOB? BOB! Where are you?" and Bob grabbed him by the scruff of his neck (Bob is on the boat by then) and in one swoop, pulled him onto the boat as the skiff sunk from under him. To SEE him tell that story cracks me up every time! Obviously when he said "It's sinking" Bob jumped on the boat, turned around and grabbed his shirt all in one swift movement. Bob is a really tall big man and our captain is just average size and weight. Just picture the both of them, standing in the skiff, seeing it's going to sink and he yells "It's sinking", then turns in circles looking for Bob saying "BOB? BOB? BOB?" and Bob is already GONE and reaching down to grab him.

Then there was the time the green deckhand brought his brand new white tennis shoes to the boat and got them dirty. He put them in the washing machine with a gallon of bleach and let them soak for about 3 or 4 hours. There was not enough of them left to even duct tape them back together. He had to wear his work boots home.

OH!... and the time the mate told a totally green deckhand to sweep and mop the galley.. (60's gal, this guy was from St. Louis).. I sat there and watched him, he DID sweep the floor 3 times, then he mopped it. The mate came in and said "I thought I TOLD YOU to sweep and mop in here!".. He said "I did, ask the cook, she saw me!".. I said "Yup, he swept 3 times, then mopped but he never picked up the dirt pile he swept up, just mopped right over it!".. The guy did exactly what he was told to do..

Old 07-28-2009, 06:14 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Laura,

I love your recipes and your stories. You are a definite CD asset! Unfortunately we can only have recipes in this forum. Would you consider starting a City Data blog with your stories? You can put the link in your profile so we can all easily find your stories? Or, you may want to start a thread in the Travel Section with your travel stories. Whatever you decide please let us all know on here so we know where to follow you for boat stories! But please, keep the recipes coming!! Yum!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes