Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times

Advertisements

PennyLane2-That onion casserole sounds just like something they would go for and different.. THANKS!

crazyworld-(love that name!) I cook for a crew of 8 to 10, depending on rather or not we have a Junior Engineer, sometime we have extra people on there and I have cooked for 11 and 12. A normal crew is only 10 for the boat I am on, so it is like cooking for a large family.

Here is a slide show I put together out there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYn_peASBvI

Last edited by Laura707; 02-17-2009 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 09:22 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
Laura - I just watched your slide show, and enjoyed it so very much! You are obviously talented in cooking AND in putting together something like this! GFY!

Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
Laura I loved that...it brought some memories for me. My Dad was a Merchant Marine and he was Chief Engineer on the sulphur ships way back when. One of the ports was Baton Rouge. My brother was a captain on a barge out of New York where it carried the oil between NY and CT. Unfortunately there was a freak accident and we lost him in 92.
Thank you so much for the inside look. The music you chose was beautiful.

I do have a recipe for New England American Chop Suey (it is actually pasta) it can feed a lot of mouths if you would like it.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:18 AM

Post that recipe and let me check it out. I am always looking for new ideas!

I go back to work next Wednesday and would love to take a bunch of new things to try.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:39 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
You can change the amounts around
I cook 1 pound ziti or penne or rigatoni whatever you like and set aside.
In a frying pan I cook a little bacon then crumble to that I saute onions mushrooms and green peppers in garlic powder, seasoned salt and a tiny bit of cajun seasoning.
I scramble up about 1 1/2 lb. hamburg. and add to the O P and Mush.
When that is cooked I add a medium sized jar of Prego spaghetti sauce, basil about 2T sugar (for the acid) and about 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and simmer.
Just add it to the pasta, mix well and serve with Garlic bread. You can work on your own flavors however you like your sauce.

For that crowd I would make about 3 lbs. and the leftovers are great.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Laura I can't watch your video on my slow dial up but I bet it is nice! Here is a recipe that gets grand reviews when I take it to carry ins men seem to really like it well at church dinners. My kid's sports teams request it from me a lot.

Chicken & Dressing casserole

1 whole chicken, boiled & shredded (save broth)
2 cans chicken noodle soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
2 lg. eggs
1 c. minced onions
3 stalks of celery, diced fine

Topping:

2 sticks of butter, melted
2-3 sleeves of Town House crackers
1-2 loaves of white bread, broken into pieces like for dressing

Mix soups, eggs, onions & celery together then add the chicken & bread. Add enough broth to make real moist but not puddles of broth. Put in a very large baking dish. Crush the crackers and mix with the melted butter. Put on top of the dressing mixture. Bake 350° for 1 hour.

I put salt & cracked black pepper in it but if using Campbell's soups you won't need any salt as they have a huge amount in them. I use my home canned soups that have no added salt in it. Fairly inexpensive to make, very filling and leftovers are good too! Hope you enjoy it!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:03 AM

Great recipes! Saved and ready to go back to work with me next week!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
Do you have a crock pot out there? If so, this is awesome and can feed a lot:

Take chicken (boneless) and put in a crock pot with two small cans of green chiles, one small can of jalapenos, juice of a lime, a shot or two of tequila, a can of chicken stock, and enough beer to cover the chicken. Let it cook for a few hours and then you can start to periodically mash or shred the chicken. Let it go for a few more hours until most of the liquid is absorbed and all of the chicken has pulled apart.

Serve with corn tortillas, refried beans, rice, lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes, guacamole, cheese, etc.

These are to die for!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Great recipes! Saved and ready to go back to work with me next week!
Are you able to access the internet when y'all are out?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Hey Laura,

Here's my New England version of American Chop Suey:

For 8 hearty appetites...

2 lbs. hamburger

Shake liberally with garlic powder, salt and pepper and fry til cooked through, then drain and put back in fry pan and add:

2 lg. green peppers chopped country style (sorta large)
fry til halfway cooked then add to mix:

2 lg. white onions chopped country style and fry all til onions are tender, then drain well....

While this is cooking, in a large pot, add 2 28oz. cans crushed tomatoes, and 2 28oz. cans whole tomatoes. Turn heat on low to simmer.

In 3rd large pot, cook 2lbs. medium sized sea shell noodles til el dente. Drain, rinse, drain again and add to tomatoes in second large pot.

When burger/gr. peppers/onion mix is cooked, add this to the pasta and tomato mix. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to simmer on low for about a half hour, allowing flavors to meld. Stir often to avoid sticking to bottom of pan.

This is great with italian bread, butter, and grated parmesan for the pasta. Red pepper flakes on the table for all who like their italian dishes spicy! Don't know if you have salad on board or not, but it's great with a fresh salad and italian dressing... first few days out perhaps?

This tastes better if you can make it early in the day and reheat... even if you put it in a large roaster for an hour covered later in the day... the flavors have all blended...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes