Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times

Advertisements

IamRita I think the thread that you are referring to is the one regarding Laura's illness. Just go to Laura's screen name, click on it and go to all her posts and you can find anything she has written.

Hope that helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 09:25 AM

286 posts, read 689,138 times
is salad oil the same as vegetable oil?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeLocks View Post
is salad oil the same as vegetable oil?
yes, but olive oil can also be considered salad oil.

Nita

Old 08-03-2011, 05:15 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
IamRita I think the thread that you are referring to is the one regarding Laura's illness. Just go to Laura's screen name, click on it and go to all her posts and you can find anything she has written.

Hope that helps
Thank you. I will do that. Thanks again...

Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,520 times
Default Homemade Salsa/Chicken Enchiladas

Hi Laura
My name is Nathan and I am thinking about becoming a cook on a towboat as I love to cook and really need the money. Here is a T&T favorite of many, homemade chicken enchiladas. Even if you don't like enchiladas, you'll love these. I have divided everything in two parts. I make my own salsa which is used in the second recipe
Nathan's Homemade Salsa
14 cans Kroger diced tomatoes with jalapenos
1 large chopped onion
Parsley
1 package Mrs Wages salsa mix
1/2 cup vinegar
Directions
Begin opening cans of tomatoes and blending them in a blender to a puree. I’ve found it easier to do about two to three cans at a time. Pour the puree into a large pot with the Mrs. Wages salsa mix, vinegar, and begin boiling. Once all 14 cans have been blended and poured into the pot, begin chopping onion and put it into the pot along with a covering of parsley. Once mix has been brought to a boil, turn off stove and begin canning process.
TIP: For less spicy salsa, add one to three cans of regular diced tomatoes without the jalapenos.
For super spicy salsa, add one tbl spoon of cayenne pepper.

For super duper spicy salsa add the entire contents of the cayenne pepper to the mix then call 911 and have an ambulance headed your way. The super duper spicy salsa also works well for removing paint, varnish from furniture, cleaning engine parts, and clogs from your sink drain.

Nathan's Chicken Enchiladas
Makes 6 Enchiladas

INGREDTENTS:
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup Homemade Salsa
2 tsp chili powder
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
½ cup Monterey Jack cheese
6 flour tortillas (warmed)
1 small tomato

1. Stir the soup, sour cream, Homemade salsa , and chili powder in a medium mixing bowl
2. Stir 1 cup mixture, chicken, and cheese in a large bowl
3. Divide the chicken mixture among the tortillas. Roll the tortillas and place them seamside down in an 11x8 shallow baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce mixture over the filled tortillas. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil
4. Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes or until the enchiladas are hot and bubbling
5. Top with chopped tomato, chives, and sour cream if you prefer
BTW, don't supose your anywhere near Paducah?? That's where I live and would love to sit down and pick your brain about being a cook sometime.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:55 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I thought I’d bring back this thread because I enjoyed Laura707’s recipes so much. I’m making her Doritos casserole tonight.

Some of you may remember that she was a tow boat cook, who would cook 3 meals a day for a month for the crew. She stopped working for health reasons, and I hope she’s doing well.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:49 AM

126,277 posts, read 19,048,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyrhydyr View Post
Cold or cool foods are so great in hot weather. One of my favs is that old picnic standby - cold fried chix! My Old Guy loves raw broccoli and I make a salad of broccoli florets, Thompson raisans, toasted sunflower seeds and thinly sliced and separated puple onions. Drizzle it with your favorite cole slaw dressing and you're good to go! Sounds od to some but I never have any left to take home from potlucks. I'm a fan of cold cucumber soups or gazpachos. Cuke & Mango soup is great....

3 mangoes, peeled & pitted - 2 rough chopped & 1 finely chopped
2 seedless cukes, 1 rough chopped & 1 finely chopped (can use seeded cukes but not as flavorful)
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup lime juice
3-4 Tbs chopped cilantro
1 finely chopped serrano or jalapeno pepper
coarse sea or grey salt

Process rough chop mango & cucumber in food processor or blender with 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water till almost pureed/smooth. Pour into a bowl, add finely chopped onion, pepper and lime juice. Chill. At serving, sprinkle with cilantro and coarse sea salt or grey salt.
That soup sounds delicious!

Old 11-05-2019, 05:23 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I thought I’d bring back this thread because I enjoyed Laura707’s recipes so much. I’m making her Doritos casserole tonight.

Some of you may remember that she was a tow boat cook, who would cook 3 meals a day for a month for the crew. She stopped working for health reasons, and I hope she’s doing well.
I was just wondering about her in the Dinner thread! I really miss her stories and delicious recipes. I hope she is doing well. Thank you for reviving this thread. Maybe, we can carry on with this thread in her honor.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:03 PM

12,041 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I'll go ahead and see if I can find her Doritos casserole recipe. Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention, gentlearts.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:58 AM

261 posts, read 189,526 times
I just joined the forum on the account of Laura's recipes. Is Laura still posting ?

Oh, and Jewel City Joe.....Huntington, WV is "The Jewel City" where I was born, between the Iron City of Pittsburgh, PA and the Queen City of Cincinnati, Ohio. Big River Port Huntington and lots of River Boat traffic & workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes