Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,175 times

Advertisements

Mommy, sometimes I do that too. It just depends on how soon I'm serving it and how much time have to make it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
That sounds like it could feed 14!! Lol!

It sounds exactly like my grandmothers American Chop Suey, but she adds the tomatos to the ground beef and lets that simmer together for a while, then adds the macaroni for the last half hour.

Oh, I realized I just mentioned her in the present tense, and she's been gone for 5 years now.

Thanks for sharing and making me think back about my grandmother and the things she used to make and do for me and the rest of my family.

P.S. thank you laura for the recipe for the ranch dressing I will have to try that mix. It is quite expensive to by the envelopes in the store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,519 times
Jaxon, Cooks pretty much set their own hours. I allow 2 hours prep time per meal (start at say 9am for lunch), lunch is from 11 - noon. Sometimes I work more time, sometimes less, I am usually done by noon. It just depends on what I have planned for that meal and how involved it will be... so it is about 3 hours per meal. My oven and kitchen aid mixer are the best tools in my kitchen.

What do I do on my off time?.. Get Off My FEET! That steel is hard on your feet and legs (at least it is on mine). I try to lay down at least a hour between meals. The rest of the time, I read books, play on my laptop or watch movies on it, watch TV or just sit around and talk to the guys. If we are going through a town, I go outside and look at the view. If I really get bored, I go make something yummy.

I always take my camera and take pictures and I love doing things with pictures (like those slide shows I posted) or doing things with them in Paint Shop Pro.. I challenged myself to learn how to make animations in PSP while out there one trip and I did learn how. Looking for one to show you, I found this and this means another recipe...

These are so easy and as you see, I put a cherry in the middle. Halloween, I put candy corn.. just use what you want to decorate or leave plain!
Chocolate Crinkles

1- box devils food cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
confectioners sugar
Preheat oven to 350*
Stir by hand, cake mix, oil and eggs.
Dust hands with confectioners sugar and shape dough into 1 inch ball.
Roll the balls in confectioners sugar and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until center is JUST set.
Remove from pans after a minute and cool on wire racks.

I didn't find a animation but I made this for my my space background.. the black cat in the center in my girl Samantha...

Ah! Here is a animation I made for my sister.. (Her nickname and screen name is "oldbat" and we have a LOT of fun with that!

I can always find something to do on my off time and being alone is not a problem for me since I live alone (with my 4 cats) and have always been able to entertain myself...

Old 04-04-2009, 12:05 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,288,669 times
I am trying the Easy Crescent Danish rolls today! Wish me luck!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:57 PM

You won't need any good luck wishes, they will be good! Lat me know what you think afterwards..

My sister saw the Corndog Casserole and decided to try that. She had to call me to tell me they LOVED it and some was put away to take to work the next day by her daughter. Someone else got it and ate her lunch during the night! LOL!

Old 04-04-2009, 02:11 PM

It does look good. I showed all your food pics to my Mom, and she wanted me to print out the recipes for her! Thanks!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:31 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,394 times
Laura I made the chocolate crinkles the other day and they were a hit. My daughter used a vanilla cake mix and loved it and I bet spice cake would also be good.
Thanks.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:32 PM

crazyworld, thanks for the review. I have thought about making other flavors, just never got to it yet.. In order for a batch to make it through one 6 hour watch, I would have to make 2 batches

Quote:
I bet spice cake would also be good
EXACTLY what I have thought for a long time! Or just use yellow cake and add cinnamon and nutmeg or whatever... Hummmm?

Katsmeeyow, that corndog recipe has been a really big hit with everyone I have given that recipe too and so have the mini danish. Tell your Mom I said, "HAPPY COOKING!".

Old 04-04-2009, 08:33 PM

I will! Thanks!

BTW, the Pillsbury Cheese Danish thingys turned out beautifully! (Not quite as pretty as yours though!)

Old 04-11-2009, 08:47 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,708 times
white gumbo (variation on chicken and rice)

boil chicken breast. remove skin first for low-fat. take out chicken and cool.

shred chicken in bite size pieces, add chopped onions, celery, garlic salt, black pepper and bring to boil again in broth. you may need to add more water again as some will evaporate off depending on how much water you started out with. add rice and simmer for 15 minutes. make sure you have more liquid vs rice or it will be too thick and gummy. can add a little lemon juice.

last five minutes add shrimp. stir well and serve.

quick variation: use prepared chicken stock and rotisserie chicken breast (plain or lemon pepper flavor) minus skin.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:01 AM

leaana- I make something like this already and call it chicken stew..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes