Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 03:33 PM

272 posts, read 1,510,174 times

Advertisements

This is an authentic recipe for the kind of grilled chicken you find in every town and roadside stand in Mexico. There are many variations in ingredients, and you might want to put it on a rotisserie or cut it up differently, but this is the recipe from which you can develop your own unique taste. It's kind of long, but don't be put off by that. It's easy as can be and darned good, if I do say so myself.

Note that this recipe calls for indirect grilling in order to keep the chicken juicy. You'll want to let your charcoal burn down until it's covered with white ash (medium hot) and then push it to the sides in equal amounts. The center of the grill, where the coals have been removed, is where you will roast the chicken. If you use a gas grill, you'll need one with 3 rows of burners so you can put the chicken in the middle and only fire up the outside ones to medium.

POLLO ASADO AL CARBON

Marinade:
1-1/2 Tbsps. ground ancho chile powder (optional)
1 tsp. dried oregano (orégano)
1 tsp. ground cumin (comino)
1/4 tsp. ground cloves (clavos)
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon (canela)
4 garlic cloves, peeled & minced or put through a garlic press (use more or less, to taste)
3 Tbsps. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tsp. salt
In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together. Set aside, and start the charcoal. Follow instructions given above for preparing the grill.

1 large roasting or frying chicken, about 3 pounds (1.36 kilos). Remove neck, feet and giblets (if present) from the cavity, rinse chicken well in cold water and pat dry.

This is the fun part. You can cut the chicken in half and roast the halves, but it looks fancier and stays juicier if you follow these steps.
1. Flip the chicken onto its breast.

2. Using kitchen shears or sharp knife, cut through the back as close to the backbone as possible (you want to keep as much skin intact as possible) The two halves will still be connected in the front of the chicken.

3. Flip chicken back over, breast up, and give it a mighty wallop on the breastbone to break it free so the two halves will lie flat.

4. Tuck wing tips securely behind the back. Tie drumsticks together close to the body, or at least make sure they are turned inward.

5. Smear the chicken all over, on both sides, with marinade and let rest until the grill is heated.

6. Place the chicken in the center of the grill, where the coals have been removed per instructions above, and roast without turning for about 45 minutes, or until juices run clear when thickest part of thigh is pierced with a fork. You will want to add more charcoal every 20- 30 minutes to keep the temperature in the grill at about 325 degrees, and baste the chicken with marinade every ten minutes. Just before the chicken is done, flip it over onto its breast for additional browning if desired.

7. Remove to a platter, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. This allows the chicken to absorb the juices so they won't all run out when you cut the chicken up. Show the chicken off to your family/guests in all its glory before cutting it into pieces to serve.
Serve with fresh tortillas, the salsa(s) of your choice, beans and/or rice and roasted corn on the cob seasoned with chile and lime and slathered with butter (and/or mayonnaise, if you want to be authentic).

There is a picture, more details and some variations you might want to try in my blog here:
Rocky Point Tides: Pollo Asado al Carbon: Finger Lickin' Good in Mexico

With warm weather on the way, this is a good way for the official grillmeister of the family (usually the man?) to show off his skills and make the neighbors envious. Enjoy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 12:08 AM

314 posts, read 1,182,290 times
This is going to be soooo good! My husband does the grilling (always charcoal) and I find the recipes and do all the prep for it. This will please him. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes