Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 03:40 PM

272 posts, read 1,510,282 times

Advertisements

I've fixed Eggplant Parmigiana a few times using different recipes and it's been OK but not great. There's just the two of us, I'm not looking to feed a crowd, but maybe I could make a big batch and put half in the freezer for later? Does it freeze well, either cooked or uncooked?

I know at least one of you guys is going to have the perfect recipe for me! I await in drooling anticipation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:10 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,902 times
I make Moussaka, similar premise, and it freezes well before cooking. I also cook for two but whenever I can make something and freeze for later I find it helpful for the days I just don't have time to cook.

If you can share the existing egg. parm. recipe you're using, maybe you would get some more replies. I've made that as well, we just prefer Moussaka. My experience has been the quality of the olive oil used makes a difference.

Don't freeze for more than 3 weeks.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 03-15-2009 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Don't freeze for more than 3 weeks.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:19 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
I've tried several recipes and they were all good--pretty much the same.

I have yet to master the frying of the eggplant before baking.

It always tastes better the next day.
It freezes well.
good luck

Old 03-15-2009, 03:43 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
BB: I had to smile reading your post b/c I am told by my Italian husband that I make eggplant parm. exactly like his grandmother. To this day I do not know how I duplicate hers because I hate the stuff and yet I get compliments constantly. I had company for their birthdays last night and asked each couple what they wanted for their birthdays, one wanted eggplant, the other chicken parm. You could hear a pin drop when everyone was eating, doggie bags taken home. Hubby is picking up 2 eggplants on his way home from work tonight, so I will be doing this again tomorrow.

I make my own gravy (sp. sauce) from San Marzano tomatoes, fresh basil, lots of minced fresh garlic.

Peel eggplant, slice in 1/8" rounds, lay in colander, sprinkle with Kosher salt
Lay a plate or bowl on top of the eggplant and weight the plate down with a heavy object (2 lb can etc.) Let the eggplant drain from the colander into a bowl for about 2 hours. Rinse the salt off the eggplant, lay eggplant in a towel and pat until almost all the water is taken out.

Dip eggplant in egg and milk mixture, then dredge in flour
Fry in oo until golden on both sides. Pat oil off the eggplant with paper towels.
Put sauce on the bottom of an oven proof baking dish
Layer eggplant,top with mozzarella, Pecarino Romano grated cheese, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, garlic powder. Top with sauce. Continue until all the eggplant is used up.

Cover with foil and roast @350 for 1 hr. Let sit 15 mins. before cutting.
It is definitely better the next day.

I do not freeze eggplant after cooking because it tends to have too much moisture and water.

Hope you like this. kelsie

Last edited by kelsie; 03-15-2009 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 03-15-2009, 10:38 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Kelsie's recipe sounds right on. The Kosher Salt step is very important. Eggplant hold a lot of moisture and it's important to get the moisture out of it. Salt does that. Use Kosher salt not regular table salt. I don't find that eggplant freezes well.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:15 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,304 times
Has anyone tried the prepared eggplant parm. at Whole Foods. They have a prepared food section and they have it layered with mozzerella cheese and tomatoes, OMG, it is sooooo good.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 PM

272 posts, read 1,510,282 times
Thanks Kelsie (and everyone). I think I see two areas that I've neglected: I've been too impatient with the draining step (stopped too soon, so the finished product was too soggy) and I used regular iodized table salt. Do you all peel your eggplants first (I do; do I need to?)?

Kelsie, what a nice person you are to go to so much trouble to please people with a dish you don't even like.

I'm going to try again, remembering that patience is a virtue.

Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:37 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
BB: Thank you for the sweet compliment! I know some pp do not peel their eggplant. I find that the peel makes the eggplant bitter (at least that's what dh says remember I hate the stuff) So yes, mine are peeled to about 1/8" thickness. What Chinola said is true, you must use the Kosher salt, it is very course and it pulls the water from the eggplant. Please let me know how your eggplant turns out. If you have any other questions, just dm. kelsie

Hubby told me at lunch that he will be planting the eggplants in our garden within the next 2 weeks. Are we ready to turn the clocks back yet?

Old 04-21-2009, 07:13 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
baja, this is how I make it.. Not traditional, but easy and good.

You need: 1 large or two med. eggplants
italian seasoned bread crumbs
grated parmesan
mayonnaise (not low fat)
1 jar spaghetti sauce
grated mozzarella or provolone
Preheat oven to 375

Slice the eggplant into 3/4" slices.
Spread both sides with a thin coating of mayonnaise
Coat the slices with 1/2 italian seasoned bread crumbs and 1/2 grated parmesan, mixed together

Place on baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until slices are slightly browned and tender
Top with a jar of your favorite sauce, and some grated provelone or mozzarella.
Leave in the oven for a few minutes until the sauce is hot and the cheese is melted.

PS: I never do the salt thing to the eggplant. If you get a bitter eggplant, it's defective and nothing will fix it.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:26 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,161 times
Kelsie's recipe is pretty much what I do. Yum! A few tips I have though to make a delicious eggplant parm.
1. A bitter eggplant is most likely because you have a female eggplant as opposed to a male eggplant. If you flip them over and look at their bottoms, a female eggplant will have a bellybutton that looks like an oval slit, a male eggplant will have a round bellybutton. Males are tastier, less bitter and ALOT less seeds!!
2.A little panko crumb on the eggplant slices makes for a delicious crunch, which can be a nice change.
3. Asian eggplants, though you won't get the large slices, are hardly ever bitter or seedy, and have a great flavor. I use them sometimes, though for a parm, it can be a little more difficult dealing with smaller rounds. They're great for plain fried eggplant though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes