Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:20 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times

Advertisements

what's the baking soda for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM

585 posts, read 614,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
what's the baking soda for?
I don't know. My Grandmother told me that is the secret. And to be honest, I have never tried leaving it out! You know, "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" Besides, you always accepted Grandma's answer and never questioned again. She was a tough ole gal and we learned real quick!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:16 AM

660 posts, read 2,440,779 times
i take about 4 spoonfulls of the lipton ice tea mix and mix it with cold water
and i'm done

Old 04-04-2007, 09:49 PM

585 posts, read 614,004 times
Ouch, Baby Firefly. To me that just isn't tea. It is like drinking instant coffee or eating tofu instead of real meat. I'm impressed with those who can.

You are tougher than I am. Stir on, Baby Firefly!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 02:37 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
If you like your iced tea strong, try Tazo's "Awake". The iced tea they served in Texas restaurants was akin to drinking water.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Steeping tea for an hour?

I make some pretty darn good sweet tea (IMHO) myself, similar to Cracker Barrel's, maybe a little less bitter.

*I first get the 2 Litre pitcher (or is it 1/2 gallon?) and fill it almost half full with ice cubes.

*I take a regular sized lemon, cut in in half, take out as many seeds as I can then squeeze it over the ice.

*Then I add my sugar to the ice; anywhere from 1/2 to 1 Cup. Around 3/4 Cup is enough tea to make it taste as sweet as apple juice.

*I then put 3 orange pekoe tea bags into a tea pot and pour about 500 mL of boiling water into it or filling it almost to the top. I use two spoons and I gentle squeeze the bags while they are steeping. I spend anywhere from 1.5-3 minutes steeping the tea.

*I remove the bags one by one, squeezing the extra tea back into the tea pot until they're almost dry and then discard them.

*Finally I pour them over my lemon-juice and sugar covered ice and stir. By the time the ice has all melted, there's no undisovled sugar. Makes a little less than 2 Litres of iced tea.

My tea comes out a little cloudy/opaque, but I heard that's because of the tea I use.
"Luzianne" I heard is made to make clear ice tea, but they don't sell it in Canada.
It still tastes great anyways and has a real caffeine kick.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
mmmm, I use "Awake" as my special hot tea. It's too good for tea by the gallon.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:39 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,225 times
I wholeheartedly agree with everyone here on making ice tea.

Here is what I do in a pinch - take 2 bags of British Tetely tea, large mug of water, place in microway until it boils. The tea is concentrated. Fill up a glass with ice, 3/4 water and 1/4 concentrated tea -- and it is delicious.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:30 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
i take about 4 spoonfulls of the lipton ice tea mix and mix it with cold water
and i'm done
Oh my goodness, honey! I'm sorry, but that sounds perfectly awful! Although, I would have to say, that is iced tea, alright. There is a definite difference between iced tea, and sweet tea, and it seems to be regional. I knew better than to ask for sweet tea, up in New York City, when I was there some years ago, because I knew darn well they would have no idea what I was talking about. They would have handed me a glass of iced tea, with a sugar packet! Blegh! What a travesty! As SimplyAged said, you're tougher than us!

Oh, and SimplyAged, the baking soda is to take out the bitterness, to make it smoother tasting. Rather like putting salt in the coffee grounds, prior to making coffee. Also helps to keep the tea clear, not allowing it to cloud up. At least that's what I was given to understand. It seems to work, though.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:27 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
mmmm, I use "Awake" as my special hot tea. It's too good for tea by the gallon.
Agreed. Usually I drink it hot. I started drinking Tazo Teas and nothing else satisfies me now. We don't drink much iced tea so I usually don't make large quantities. I also like Earl Grey iced. I just throw some sugar and water in a pan, heat it till it becomes syrup, add to tea with some lemon. When we move south, probably be drinking more iced. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes