Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of using Velveeta to make pimento cheese. I don't consider that real cheese. I guess it has its purpose in some recipes but not in pimento cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I had to look it up. The main ingredients are cheese or Velveeta, Miracle Whip and pimentoes. Apparently, it's called the "caviar of the south". I guess these folks have never had caviar.

Sounds bloody awful.
This is the offensive uppity attitude which set me off. Of course not everybody will like every dish. That is to be expected but your statement came across as very snobby and a put down of The South.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:42 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've never heard of using Velveeta to make pimento cheese. I don't consider that real cheese. I guess it has its purpose in some recipes but not in pimento cheese.
I haven't either.... not Miracle Whip either...

Old 10-05-2014, 10:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Pimento cheese is a common food preparation in the Southern United States, a spread or relish made with cheese. It is affectionately known as "the caviar of the South". The basic recipe has few ingredients: sharp cheddar cheese or processed cheese (such as Velveeta or American cheese), mayonnaise, pimentos, salt and pepper, blended to either a smooth or chunky paste.Regional ingredients include cream cheese, Louisiana-style hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, paprika, jalapeños, onions, garlic, and dill pickles.

Pimento cheese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Miracle Whip was courtesy of the posters on this thread.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:01 AM

Personally I can't tell much difference between Miracle Whip and Mayo. What is the taste difference. I've made pimento cheese with both but in deference to my late Tar Heel Mom I buy Miracle Whip only for this purpose.
The thought of dealing with rubbery Velveeta to make pimento cheese turns my stomach.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:27 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
h.E.B central market sells an incredibly delicious hatch chili pepper pimento spread.
I ate a whole pint in one day!!!!
Absolutely addicting.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:44 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Pimento cheese is a common food preparation in the Southern United States, a spread or relish made with cheese. It is affectionately known as "the caviar of the South". The basic recipe has few ingredients: sharp cheddar cheese or processed cheese (such as Velveeta or American cheese), mayonnaise, pimentos, salt and pepper, blended to either a smooth or chunky paste.Regional ingredients include cream cheese, Louisiana-style hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, paprika, jalapeños, onions, garlic, and dill pickles.

Pimento cheese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Miracle Whip was courtesy of the posters on this thread.
I suppose as a person who lived in the South, and was introduced to it by a person from the South and taught to make it, it was never used.

I imagine it could be personal taste. It is not something I would ever put in it or would want to eat.

Otherwise, it is really not bad. I know you said you don't like pimentos. I bet you could substitute them for something you do like and give it a try! I use sharp or extra sharp cheddar in mine.....good stuff!

=)

Old 10-06-2014, 07:18 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What do you expect from Russian Frenchie Canuk.
Beluga!

Old 10-06-2014, 08:17 AM

when I was in Vietnam adopting my daughters I found several restaurants which made toasted pimento cheese sandwiches and they included tiny bits of pineapple. So sweet and a surprise the first bite. My girls love it now so we call these Vietnamese pimento cheese sandwiches!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:40 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I never liked pimento cheese, but I probably never had it made to the quality of what I've read in this thread. I'm sure there are more than a few of you who could change my mind about pimento cheese .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes