Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times

Advertisements

And you will be sending cheese straws my way? Right? Hello? OK??? Please!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,937 times
Here is my favorite recipe. It's out of Southern Living magazine and is similar to the one posted here but no cream cheese. Personally I don't like raw onion so I omitted it. The roasted red peppers definitely are better than pimento's!

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
1/2 (12-oz.) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
2 teaspoons finely grated onion
2 teaspoons coarse-ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 (10-oz.) blocks sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Assorted crackers

Old 04-28-2009, 04:39 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
maybe in a few months we'll also be able to make some platters of pimiento cheese sandwiches that have been joined by fresh (home-grown) tomato sandwiches and cucumber sandwiches.:d

yum!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
As long as there is a Masters Golf Tournament there will be pimiento cheese. Something about those wrapped in wax paper. I have seen many copycat recipes but would love to have the OFFICIAL recipe for that. Love PC so thanks for the thread!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:01 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
And you will be sending cheese straws my way? Right? Hello? OK??? Please!!!!!
Do I have to wrap each one individually so as to avoid breakage during shipping? Mama said she really wants to have some soon, so the cheese straw event may be sooner that I thought. My sister is pushing to make some benne wafers as well, so we'll see if there will be a big push for these things at Church, too.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:34 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
Do I have to wrap each one individually so as to avoid breakage during shipping?
But of course!!!!!

Old 03-27-2014, 04:39 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I have been hearing about pimento cheese spread recently and it is identified as a "southern thing"; since I moved to Florida I have been trying to explore southern culture and ways. Some I like and others (eg sweet tea) not so much. I have switched to southern style corn bread; corn bread dressing for holiday turkey and today I made a simple pimento cheese spread (using Dukes Mayonnaise )

My recipe was pretty simple......just sharp chedder cheese grated, with some pepper jack cheese, Mayo, garlic salt. I know some people add dill pickle and others add Worcestershire sauce or hot sauce....I decided to make the basic. I mixed it all up really good after a brief pulse in the food processor and put it in fridge to mellow ... overnight.

I couldn't stay away and spread a little on some saltines....and it is really good .....and addictive!

Interested in how others make it. I was told not to add cream cheese....but I see on this thread the recipe has cream cheese and so does Bobby....Paula Deen's son's.

Any other tips? Does anyone add sweet pickle relish?

Old 03-29-2014, 06:31 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I have been tinkering with my cheese spread, (a little Worcestershire sauce and a little sweet paprika and a little more Dukes mayo).....it was good but not as good as I thought it should be to be such a fav in Southern cuisine.

Today I grated and added sweet Vidalia onion and gave it a couple of shakes of Crystal hot sauce and mixed it all up again . I think this version is the bomb! "With God as My Witness".....Scarlet O'Hara would have run back into flaming Tara to salvage some of my pimento cheese spread from the cooler.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
Mine has chopped jalapeños, & my husband likes me to add chopped green olives to it as well.
I've never tried anything other than the classic jarred pimentos. I love roasted red peppers, so I'll try that next time.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:10 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I know that really good pimento cheese is elusive. I have tasted really awesome, home made, but didn't get the recipe. I haven't tried making it myself, but have not liked any of the store bought I've tried. The kind I liked had a bit of a sweet-hot flavor.
I am thinking of using something like Harry & David Sweet Hot Relish to perhaps capture the flavor I'm going for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes