U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 AM

21,870 posts, read 14,374,615 times

Advertisements

1 8 ounce package of cream cheese

1 jar or fire roasted peppers or whole pimentos (I usually use the Trader Joe's brand Fire Roasted Red Peppers or there is a good Greek brand on the market too (sorry, I have forgotten the name)

Shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)

Salt and pepper to taste

Place the room temperature cream cheese into a food processor. Process until it is smooth. Drain the roasted peppers and add to food processor and pulse just a few times (it will get well processes when you add the shredded cheese). Add the shredded cheese and pulse until it is incorporated. I like my mixture a little chunky and thick. If you think it's not "cheesy" enough, add more cheese. If you like your mixture more smooth, add some mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste.

The spread is great on crackers and as a spread for sandwiches.

Enjoy!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 AM

11,994 posts, read 10,747,049 times
Thanks for this one too!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,293,410 times
I will try that. Sounds very good!

Old 04-27-2009, 11:44 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,688,017 times
Oh my favorite! Being from the south and living up north, it's hard to share my love of pimento cheese with anyone. I was very glad to see your recipe! Thanks for posting it.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:26 PM

I can't wait to try this, George. I usually make a simple version - grated sharp cheddar, drained pimentos, touch of garlic powder, touch of worcestorshire sauce, little salt and pepper and mayo to taste. My neighbor made one similar to yours with the cream cheese, but I cannot find what I did with the recipe, so I am glad you posted this one!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM

It's so easy to make and everyone thinks that you have slaved over it for hours!!!

Kats, try it with fire roasted peppers instead of pimentos. I think it gives it a better texture.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:42 PM

Will do!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 AM

424 posts, read 1,601,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post

The spread is great on crackers and as a spread for sandwiches.

Enjoy!!!
Thank you for the recipe. That is quite similar to one of the types I make, but I WILL have to try it with roasted peppers next time. There are so many variation on Pimiento cheese, just depending on what you are accustomed to for the most part. BTW, George Chong, where did you grow up? Was this a family recipe?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 AM

I was actually raised in Buckhead Chastain Park to be more precise. Most of my people are lactose intolerant So it is not a family recipe. I have noticed that lots of Southern traditions have fallen by the waist side and I wanted to preserve them since Atlanta is my adopted home.

I took a Paula Deen recipe and modified it. Paula's recipe calls for mayonnaise. I like mine a little chunkier. The funny thing is, I rarely eat it even if I make it. It's more so for my guests who thinks that it's the best thing since sliced bread. My partner loves it too so it's a "double good thing".

Other than tasting it for consistency and flavor, I don't eat much more of it

The Trader Joe's brand of roasted red peppers is good. So is a Greek brand that I get at the DeKalb Farmer's Market sometimes. I ran out of that brand and didn't want to drive all the way to Decatur for one item. They are priced about the same. I did however notice that the local grocery stores that carry roasted peppers are so much more expensive. So I avoid them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
Thank you for the recipe. That is quite similar to one of the types I make, but I WILL have to try it with roasted peppers next time. There are so many variation on Pimiento cheese, just depending on what you are accustomed to for the most part. BTW, George Chong, where did you grow up? Was this a family recipe?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:36 AM

424 posts, read 1,601,705 times
Default I like it chunky, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I was actually raised in Buckhead Chastain Park to be more precise. Most of my people are lactose intolerant So it is not a family recipe. I have noticed that lots of Southern traditions have fallen by the waist side and I wanted to preserve them since Atlanta is my adopted home.

I took a Paula Deen recipe and modified it. Paula's recipe calls for mayonnaise. I like mine a little chunkier. The funny thing is, I rarely eat it even if I make it. It's more so for my guests who thinks that it's the best thing since sliced bread. My partner loves it too so it's a "double good thing".

Other than tasting it for consistency and flavor, I don't eat much more of it

The Trader Joe's brand of roasted red peppers is good. So is a Greek brand that I get at the DeKalb Farmer's Market sometimes. I ran out of that brand and didn't want to drive all the way to Decatur for one item. They are priced about the same. I did however notice that the local grocery stores that carry roasted peppers are so much more expensive. So I avoid them.
You can make dainty tea sandwiches or big ole' bubba beasts with it, too! You're right about so many Southern traditions declining...but most everyone at least knows that of whic you speak when you mention it. When taking a platter of sandwiches to a picnic of Left Coast folks once I was looked at like I had horns growing out of my head. They had never seen such creations before. Actually most did try them and seemed to be genuinely impressed by their simple elegance, Admittedly, I also enjoy a toasted sandwich or just some good stuff spread on a crisp Ritz cracker, Waverly Wafer, or something fancier. And you cannot beat celery stuffed with...probably my favorite way to eat it! Maybe in a few months we'll also be able to make some platters of pimiento cheese sandwiches that have been joined by fresh (home-grown) tomato sandwiches and cucumber sandwiches.

And yes, now we should also be making some cheese straws for a savory and crisp treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes