Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:10 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,778,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
BstYet2BeI'm sorry you are having trouble with this recipe. First of all I wouldn't butter your pans that is probably why you are getting the burnt texture and taste. Test your oven maybe it is running hotter than most if so turn down your temp. Be sure to cool the muffins in the pans on cooling racks once cooled then remove them. If you remove them while still hot they will just crumble, wait to long and they will set up like cement. I do put the muffins on the cooling racks to let them fully cool down. Once removed immediately put the pans in hot soapy water.

Try these steps and see if you are successful I hope you are because they are fabulous muffins.

Ah ha! No better advice than that from the original OP! Thnx sooo much for answering 'cause I know these are good... I mean the crumbs themselves were awesome... so yep, I will try it without the butter on the pan.

So to be sure I get this right, does this mean exactly that I don't put ANYTHING on the pan or only spray as Beachmel suggested??? Sorry, I want to get it DONE this time... after all, the 3rd time is the charm, eh!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,862,525 times
Can you make these in cupcake papers?

Old 11-19-2011, 09:18 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
These sound great! I will have houseguests for several days next week, and we typically make a big brunchy meal then. These muffins will be perfect. I hope someone will please answer whether to use baking spray or nothing at all. I will make mini muffins and some muffin tops.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:17 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,416,669 times
I am glad I linked you to these Julia; you won't be disappointed! I use spray on mine for extra insurance. Enjoy!

Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
I might try to make them on Tuesday or Wednesday. My company will be here Wednesday night, and I need to feed a crowd for breakfast on Thursday without using the oven (e.g., some kind of breakfast casserole). I can scramble a big pan of eggs with some crumbled sausage.

Are these better warm or at room temp? My oven has a warming drawer.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:02 PM

I think that they are better the day (or 2) after and at room temp. Personal preference.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,400,927 times
I've DM'd Jaxson to ask about using full size cupcake pans and papers. Have plenty of pecans we shelled for GA and I'm getting antsy. Will just regular PAM spray work? Using papers hasn't been answered yet which we would like to do if possible. We don't need to make them until Wednesday just for the two of us. I'll take all the help we can get here.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:14 PM

I am sure it will. I use the spray that is supposed to be for baking (with flour) and I use teflon muffin tins so I am always happy with the release.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:15 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,318,987 times
I know that Jaxson has had some internet connectivity issues in recent months, and it's entirely possible that she might not be logged back in before Thanksgiving. It's not my recipe, but I've made it several times, and have kept notes on the recipe from each time:

Notes: use the 1 1/2-tablespoon-scoop to dip out the batter into the tins. Wondra Flour does improve them. ONLY use high-quality non-stick mini-muffin tins! A narrow flexible scraper works to pry them out, or run a toothpick around the edge to loosen them, but you will likely have some casualties anyway. The tray that baked on the top rack of my oven released most easily.

I have not used either pan spray or muffin papers, but may try one or the other next time. Of the two, I'd be more inclined to try the pan spray, because the batter caramelizes on the outside, and I'd be afraid the paper would wind up permanently cemented to the muffins. (Extra fiber is a good thing, but I do draw the line at eating paper.)

I do recall Jaxson mentioning that it's possible to make them in full-size cupcake tins, but I don't remember how that changes the baking time. Just guessing, I'd probably start checking them at about 30-35 minutes if I did them in cupcake pans. I'll do a search on Jaxson's posts, too, and see if I can find the reference.

I will also add that every time I've made these (for treat day at the office), the tray was down to the crumbs by mid-morning, even though the recipe makes up over 60 of them. They are rich, sweet, crunchy/chewy and thoroughly decadent, and your guests will love them. Enjoy - and thanks again to Jaxson's DD for both inventing the recipe and sharing it!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:29 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,318,987 times
Ok, I found a couple of Jaxson's earlier posts that might offer some insights.

On baking time for full-size muffins rather than minis: //www.city-data.com/forum/10351888-post46.html. In my experience, the mini size took 20 minutes to bake, so at least in my oven, I'd figure on 28 to 30 minutes for the full size.

On using butter to grease the tins, plus tips to remove them intact from the pans: //www.city-data.com/forum/16962016-post70.html. Based on that, I'd maybe try one pan with pan spray and one without; butter does scorch more easily, but it seems like pan spray might be less prone to that. Remember, the recipe itself already has a LOT of melted butter in it, so if anything is used in the pans, it should probably be something other than butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes