Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times

Advertisements

This is all I use Crystal hot sauce from Louisiana:

Baumer Foods : About Us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 03:11 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
my husband and i are sd natives now living in virginia. a couple of years ago i found this recipe Taco Shop Hot Sauce - Menu In Progress ...i make it a lot now. it's the closest i've found...people not from there just don't understand our need for this awesome hot sauce!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Red sauce does not contain tomato...
You must be referring to the red sauce they put on enchiladas - I also like the enchilada verde sauce.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 AM

57 posts, read 112,305 times
I've long suspected the key to the awesome salsa at my favorite authentic Mexican restaurants was canned tomatoes, so I was excited to try this. This is so easy to make. I made it twice: the first time, I followed it exactly. The thing about salsa is that it's very subjective and easy to tweak, so I gave this five stars, even though I found it a little too soupy, a little too hot and it was missing something... which I realized was onions and garlic. So I tried it again: draining the tomatoes, adding two tablespoons of diced onions, a 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder and taking it down to one jalapeno. Success! This is a great recipe to tweak for your own tastes. Love it!

Old 05-04-2014, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,192 times
Wink Taco Shop Taco Sauce

1 can diced tomatoes (I use hunts) and can of water
Dry Menudo Mix (I use El Gaupo Brand) 2 hand fulls
Dry Red Chili Flakes (I use El Gaupo Brand) 1 hand full
small yellow onion
salt to taste
Place all in blender and VWWAALLLAAA
This is the key its perfect. I make all the time and keep in a recycled mason jar.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,102 times
Default Tapatio sauce is not the same as 'Berto's

I happen to have a bottle of Tapatio sitting in front of me and a leftover Berto's burrito. I ran out of sauce and thought I would try the Tapatio as a substitute. Nope. It's not nearly as good as the stuff in the vats at Berto's. (Cholula is also not a good substitute, btw.) Keep looking...

Old 06-20-2014, 12:48 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
If you want to try making it yourself: Taco Shop Hot Sauces - Home Cooking - Chowhound

If you're willing to settle for a bottled sauce, this is the stuff they put out on the tables: Valentina

Old 06-29-2014, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 85,720 times
I now take four or five roma tomatoes with the skin off some cilantro and pepper flakes to taste and I put them in either a Cuisinart or a hand held blender and mix it to the consistency of Roberto's hot sauce. Its the best and the closest I have found and its great.
thanks

Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,871 times
Default SD Bolts

I too am removed from So Cal and have tried everything to find a recipe for that neon orange hot sauce from the Alberto's in Carlsbad and O'side. That stuff was AMAZING. I thought it might be habenero pepper, alas...WAY WRONG! Could it be just the blend of two chilis reconstituted with the water and some vinegar?

Old 07-27-2014, 05:29 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
God I miss the 'bertos. All and any of them. I'd kill for some decent rolled tacos with guacamole. Machaca. Carne asada burrito. Hard to find in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes