U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,899,309 times

Advertisements

I can find any number of recipes online for cherry salsa, but I have yet to find a single recipe for safely canning cherry salsa. I know it can be done because I have eaten canned cherry salsa made in the cherry capital of the world: Traverse City, MI. I have tried writing to the food editor of the Detroit Free Press, have been in contact with home economists from the the local extension service and MSU, even tried to find a cherry cookbook from Traverse City: all to no avail. Can anyone help me? I have two trees in my backyard that are starting to ripen. I am sure to have a glut of tomatoes, too, so at this point I don't care if it is straight cherry salsa or a blend of cherries and tomatoes. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 12:03 AM

18,286 posts, read 21,416,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I can find any number of recipes online for cherry salsa, but I have yet to find a single recipe for safely canning cherry salsa. I know it can be done because I have eaten canned cherry salsa made in the cherry capital of the world: Traverse City, MI. I have tried writing to the food editor of the Detroit Free Press, have been in contact with home economists from the the local extension service and MSU, even tried to find a cherry cookbook from Traverse City: all to no avail. Can anyone help me? I have two trees in my backyard that are starting to ripen. I am sure to have a glut of tomatoes, too, so at this point I don't care if it is straight cherry salsa or a blend of cherries and tomatoes. Thanks in advance.
I have never tried or heard of cherry salsa but if you post a recipe of what it is you are wanting to can I will give it a whirl to tell you for how long. Plain cherries can be water bathed for 15 & 20 minutes for pints & quarts. But I need to see what else is in your recipe please.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 PM

4,165 posts, read 14,134,421 times
Sounds interesting - have seen mango, pineapple and strawberry (I think) salsa so why not cherry - ? (the mango is pretty good, actually). Maybe if you find one of those recipes, you can improvise and use cherries instead, I *think* cherries would be the same consistency as any of the other 3 fruits (or else halve one of the other fruits and add some of the cherries so the total fruit would be the same amount).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes