U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 06:58 PM

193 posts, read 786,076 times

Advertisements

If anyone has a fantastic recipe for rolls please send them my way. I love the rolls that are really soft and kinda have a sweetness to them(lonestar steakhouse or logans style rolls), but have not found a recipe for any yet. Hope you guys can help. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,889,201 times
Laura's Rolls

Makes 24 nice rolls

This is my own recipe that I have used for years. It has been compared to Lambert's "Home of the throwed rolls" and is said to be better than the steakhouse rolls.. Got to remember though, that I have been making them for over 30 years, almost daily (at work) so I have it down to a fine tuned process...

1st thing is a kitchen aid mixer, make them SO much easier to make! Use the dough hook..

(Oh, and I use this same dough to make a lot of things, pizza dough, cinnamon rolls, New Orleans King Cakes, deep fry in balls and inject grape jelly into, then glaze, hot pockets... Couldn't make my living cooking without my roll dough!)

5 to 6 cups all purpose flour (I use Gold Metal or Martha White)
2 packs yeast (Remember, these packs today are INSTANT so there is NO need to dissolve it first!)
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt

Put half the flour in the bowl with the salt, sugar and yeast and stir with a spoon to blend ....

Heat 2 cups milk (Whole milk or low fat.. NOT skim milk... I have used instant milk and added to the dry ingredients in the step above.. I do not like the taste of them made with water or skim milk).. I heat the 2 cups of milk in the microwave for 1;40 to 2 minutes. You want it warm like a baby bottle.. To cold it won't activate the yeast, to hot it will kill the yeast.

I crack 1 egg into the milk and stir it up. (The egg is for color and can be omitted if you don't have a egg)

Add all the milk to the flour mixture that you have in the bowl (only half the dry ingredients, remember?) and stir vigorously with a spoon until everything is wet. Lower the dough hook into it and cut the mixer on low to med... Let it mix and blend until it is smooth and you don't see any lumps. Then slowly add about 1/2 cup of the remaining flour at a time and let it blend well each time you add flour until it is smooth and no lumps.. Keep adding until all the flour is in the bowl. (note: Do not be in a hurry during the adding the flour and the mixing, I often walk away and do other small things while this is going on between adding the flour and letting it blend. Take this slow. You want the dough smooth as silk so don't hurry it up!)

Once it is all smooth, use cooking oil or butter and oil/grease the dough lightly so that the dough is covered all around and top to bottom. You want it to rise smoothly without ripping away from the bowl. Cover with Saran Wrap and put in a warm place without a cold draft.. Let rise (about 30 to 45 minutes or doubles in size).. I always grease the pan I am going to bake them in at this time.

Once it has risen, grease your hands and you are ready to make what ever you plan to make with the dough. Let rise the second time in a warm place and when doubled in size again...Bake at 400* until they are the color you like them..

After baking, brush lightly with butter or cover with a paper towel and foil (so it can sweat and soften the rolls if you are watching your fat intake)

I often use half the dough for lunch one day, refrigerate the rest for my cinnamon rolls or whatever for breakfast the next morning.

If I want a crispy roll for lasagna or spaghetti, I use olive oil in place of the cooking oil/butter.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:32 AM

193 posts, read 786,076 times
Those look really really good. Thank you so much. I will definatly try them out. I cant wait! Again thanks!

Old 06-06-2009, 12:04 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,889,201 times
You are indeed welcome!! I did forget to put this warning on there... WARNING, these can be addicting and fattening, making you gain weight!!

I talked my daughter into getting a kitchen aid mixer and with in a month she was calling me chewing me out for talking her into buying it.. She could no longer fit into her clothes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes