Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:25 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,633 times

Advertisements

I may be wrong, but I think marinara is a lighter/thinner sauce tasting more like a fresh tomato sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 12:19 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Marinara means different things to different people, but a few points...

It's made without meat, bones.

It's a quick sauce; not simmered all day, which leads to the next point...

I think of it as having some discernible tomato pieces, not chunks, just texture. Nona would simmer sauce all day, put it through a food mill to to get out the pieces of skin, seeds so end up with a thick smooth sauce.

Sometimes it is a slightly 'spicier' sauce with red pepper flakes, peppers. Other than the standard oregano, it usually contains basil and sometimes fennel.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I don't really have a recipe since I've made gravy for years, but I start with garlic and tomato paste and fry it in olive oil. Then add a 28 ounce can of tomato puree, some sugar, and fill the empty paste can with water. Let it simmer and see if you need to add more water and/or sugar. Sometimes I add red wine and I sometimes use paste with Italian seasonings. Depends on the mood. I let mine simmer about an hour, uncovered.
You call it 'gravy'. Spoken like a true Italian cook.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:47 PM

29 posts, read 82,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
I finally found an Italian imported sauce that was great until my supermarket decided to not carry it any longer.

Does anyone have a good Marinara sauce they could share? Thanks.

This happened to me, too

I love Olive Garden's Marinara and despite the kopykat recipes, I have not been too successful in duplicating it.

These suggestions are great, everyone.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:33 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
You call it 'gravy'. Spoken like a true Italian cook.
I guess it depends on where you grew up. I used to live in NEPA and never heard anyone call it gravy. NJ, where I am now, is another story.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:44 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
I just saw this TKramer, Marinara vs Spaghetti Sauce (Gravy)

Marinara sauce is the recipe I put on the other page. If you have fresh basil it makes the sauce even better, throw in some "dry" red wine and it makes the sauce very robust.

Spaghetti sauce (gravy) is made with meatballs, sausage, pork bracoile &/or chicken pieces. I simmer this for at least 4 to 5 hrs.

In our home Sunday afternoon dinner is always Gravy with Manicotti, Lasagna or Ravioli with lots of meat, Antipasto & crispy bread. Gravy is usually made Sunday mornings before Church.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:19 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
My old boss never let anyone see what he put in his pasta sauce. I do know he made what he'd call baby food for it. He would take some carrots and onions, garlic and god knows what other veg's and simmer it in a huge pot for hours, then he would take a boat motor (immersion blender) and puree and freeze it in 1 quart portions and use that as a base.. he made a very good traditional red sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes