Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 02:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

I was looking around, found an almond macaroon recipe at Epicurious, and it suggested this recipe:

Blackberry and Apricot Compote
  • 2 firm-ripe apricots
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup picked-over blackberries

Halve apricots lengthwise and pit. Cut each apricot half into 4 wedges and transfer to a heatproof bowl.
In a small saucepan bring water and sugar to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Stir in zest and wine and simmer 5 minutes. Pour syrup over apricots and stir in blackberries. Chill mixture 20 minutes. Serve compote with macaroons.

So, here's my question. Is Riesling a dry white wine? Or do I need to go with a chenin blanc or something else?

Anyone else have any new recipes that they might want to try? Especially easy to make ones? Let's discuss them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:33 PM

193 posts, read 842,733 times
Default spinach dip

I have been dieing to try this spinach artichoke dip that has gotten such good reviews on allrecipes. It seriously looks sooo good. yum! Heres the link if anyones interested in trying it.

Artichoke & Spinach Dip Restaurant Style - All Recipes

Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,034 times
This may sound like a dumb recipe but I sure like it. I'm sure I didn't invent it, but I was just fooling around and came up with this. It's like a breakfast pizza. I have a hard time eating pizza sauce because of the tomatoes so this works better for me.

I use a pizza dough mix I buy at Walmart ...it works the best for this. The package is one of the small pouches and says Great Value on it and it costs around $.44. I first grease the pan with Olive Oil. Then I make the mix and let it rise 5 minutes and stretch it out on my cookie sheet which is larger than a jelly roll pan....so the dough is really thin. I prick the dough with a fork thoroughly and then bake slightly in a 400 degree oven. Bake only until the dough feels set and not browned.

Then I make a package of white peppered gravy as stated on the package. I use Jimmy Dean peppered gravy but any small package of white gravy will work. Spread the hot gravy over the partially baked dough. Then I spread on chopped onions, smoked turkey sausage chopped, some chopped ham, some bacon pieces, canadian bacon, mushrooms and a small amount of mozarella cheese. Bake at 400 until it's done to your liking.

I think this is a super pizza and we have it at night lots of times!!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:57 AM

^I've made pizzas using tortillas before...and one could probably use a pita, or other flatbread.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:06 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I was looking around, found an almond macaroon recipe at Epicurious, and it suggested this recipe:

Blackberry and Apricot Compote
  • 2 firm-ripe apricots
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup picked-over blackberries

Halve apricots lengthwise and pit. Cut each apricot half into 4 wedges and transfer to a heatproof bowl.
In a small saucepan bring water and sugar to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Stir in zest and wine and simmer 5 minutes. Pour syrup over apricots and stir in blackberries. Chill mixture 20 minutes. Serve compote with macaroons.

So, here's my question. Is Riesling a dry white wine? Or do I need to go with a chenin blanc or something else?

Anyone else have any new recipes that they might want to try? Especially easy to make ones? Let's discuss them here.
Riesling is not a dry wine, but I don't know where chenin blanc falls on the dryness scale.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:39 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I just made a Mexican Lasagna that was pretty good and easy.

1# ground meat
1 chopped jalapeno
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis
1 teas. of cumin
1 teas. garlic powder
salt & pepper
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can mild enchilada sauce
18 small corn tortillas
3 cups shredded cheddar/Monterey Jack blend cheese
1 chopped tomato
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
4 chopped green onions

Saute the ground meat and jalapeno, add the tomatoes and spices and cook til hot. Set aside.

Mix soups and enchilada sauce and heat until hot. Set aside.

In a 9x13 greased baking dish, layer the ingredients..sauce, 6 tortillas, 1/3 meat mixture, 1/3 sauce, 1/3cheese. Repeat. Top the casserole with the chopped tomato, green onion and cilantro.
Bake at 350 ..about 30 mins.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:06 PM

Here's a recipe I recently tried, and it tasted pretty good.

1 pie shell (I recommend a deep dish, if you buy it frozen)

1 pint strawberries

1 packet of strawberry gelatin

2 Tbsp. cornstarch

1-1/2 cups water

2/3 cup sugar

Cut strawberries as desired. (The recipe suggest small strawberries in half, and larger ones in quarters, but I sliced mine.)

Place into prebaked pie shell (10 minutes at 350 should be sufficient).

Combine water, sugar, gelatin, and cornstarch in pot, bring to boil. Remove from heat and cool for 30 minutes. Add to pie, then refrigerate for several hours.

You know? Similar pies could probably be made by using different gelatin and fruit. As long as they match up well. Peach at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes