Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,372,156 times

Advertisements

It's that time of year for many of us. I am now eating squash and cucumbers everyday. Tomatoes will be next. So I was wondering what kind of recipes you all have for garden vegetables.

Please share. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 10:09 AM

187 posts, read 588,907 times
I'm usually loaded down with zucchini & since I also grow mint, this works well for me:
MINTED ZUCCHINI - serves 5
2 lbs zucchini
2 TBL olive oil
1 TBL butter
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 tsp sugar
Fresh mint for garnish

Cut the zucchini into eighths lengthwise to form sticks. Cut the sticks in half crosswise. Heat teh oil & butter in a large skillet or wok. Add the zucchini & cook over medium high heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, chopped mint & sugar. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes more. Do not overcook. Garnish with fresh mint.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,404,735 times
My squash is coming in nicely - I have yellow and green zucchini, pattypans, and tomatoes too. I cube the zucchini, saute with cubed onions, add Italian herbs and seasoning, and add diced tomatoes for a summertime veggie side dish. Sometimes I toss some corn in too, and grated parmesan goes great with this dish too.

With the cucumbers, I make Hungarian cucumber salad (uborka salata) by slicing the peeled cucumbers with a kitchen mandolin slicer, salt it, squeeze out the excess water, mix a little vinaigrette with just vinegar, sugar, and either smashed garlic or chopped fresh dill, stir in the cucumber, and then blend in some sour cream to taste. This is such a refreshing salad that goes great with practically any summer meal.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:09 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,735,861 times
YL I take zucchini (2) summer squash (2) mushrooms 1 large onion and tomatoes all sliced and diced. As much or as little as you want

Spray a skillet with Pam put in all veggies with a little garlic powder or any season you like ...I also add basil
Cover and simmer....when the veggies start to get soft add some parmesan. When you stir make sure that the condensation that forms on the cover goes back into the veggies.

Makes a lot but boy do they get eaten.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,292,402 times
We went through the squash phase already. My favorite was just slicing them up into thin slices, longways. Then, brush on a little melted butter, salt and pepper, then putting them on the grill, yum!

Now we are on tomatoes and jalapenos.. and I have more than what I need I cannot eat them all! I have already given away bags full, but I am still throwing some out after they have been sitting and end up going bad. Next year I definately know not to plant so many plants!!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:48 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,744,417 times
I like halved Tomatoes sprinkled with parmesan cheese and Italian bread crumbs and broiled.

I like to make lots of pasta salad in the summer, using garden rotini. I always use lots of veggies like cukes, tomatoes, yellow squash, onions, celery, etc. in it...most of the time I use bottled Italian dressing.

My most favorite pasta salad is (no fat):

Boil 3/4 of the 1 pound size box Mostacolli in salted water. (Can use Penne as alternative)
While pasta is boiling, mix 3/4 cup vinegar and 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved... I usually whisk it. Add 1 1/2 Tablespoon yellow mustard, finely chopped celery, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley, black pepper and mix. Add chopped onion, chopped cucumbers, chopped and peeled yellow squash, pimentos if you want for color. Add cooked and cooled mostacolli. I find it's better if you let it sit for a couple of hours and keep stirring it around. I once added tomatoes and didn't like it as much. My guests always rave about this dish.

Fresh Spinach or Garden Lettuce (thoroughly wash) with Warm Bacon Dressing (4 salad servings)

Fresh Spinach or Garden Lettuce (or cut a wedge of head lettuce)
4 to 6 slices of Bacon - fried and crumbled
1 Green onion chopped
1 minced fresh garlic clove
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 to 2 Tablespoon sugar ( can add more/less if desired)
salt & pepper to taste

Put spinach or lettuce on a salad plate/bowl. Top with fresh chopped mushrooms and chopped boiled eggs. Fry 4 to 6 slices of bacon and crumble. Remove bacon fat from fry pan except for 2-3Tablespoons (can use 2 Tablspoons olive oil as substitute if preferred) . Add the chopped green onion and minced garlic to the bacon fat in the pan and scrape the bacon remnants from the bottom. Cook until onion is becoming clear and add vinegar and honey and dijon mustard. Add crumbled bacon last and pour over spinach/lettuce while very warm and serve immediately (do not add to salad until ready to serve) Add sliced red onions on top of the spinach if desired.

Fresh Green Beans ..... snap off just the very ends but leave long - best when beans are young and not really big beans inside. Put beans in Bottled Vinegarette (I like Paul Newman's Sesame Ginger Dressing) of your choice in a ziplock bag and let sit in the refrigerator for several hours. Cook on a George Foreman grill until the beans are still crisp but hot and show grill marks on the bean.

Or, do not marinate the beans but cook them on the george foreman grill and put warm bacon dressing over the beans.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,372,156 times
Thanks everyone. Keep them coming. I made zucchini bread the other day but since I am tweaking recipes it was only "ok".

thegirlinaz- Have you ever tried canning your tomatoes?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:44 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,735,861 times
YL once the tomatoes come in you can make bruschetta...that should keep in the fridge for a while.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,628,829 times
When I finally get some fruit from them, I will simply fry my peppers up in a skillet and serve them with chicken, pork, or sausage.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,174,922 times
YLisa Kraft must have heard your request they sent this recipe to me yesterday to share with ya!

Zesty Grilled Veggies

4 zucchini (1-1/2 lb.), cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
3 each red and yellow peppers cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
1/4 cup KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing
1/4 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese

Heat grill to medium heat. Place vegetables in grill basket.
Grill 10 min. or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally. Place in large bowl.
Add dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes