Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:46 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,783,332 times

Advertisements

I know some may not agree but I have always dropped my meatballs into my gravy raw-they just absorb the flavor of the gravy so and stay so tender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 03:54 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,333,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I know some may not agree but I have always dropped my meatballs into my gravy raw-they just absorb the flavor of the gravy so and stay so tender.
Actually that sounds like a pretty good idea. Maybe I'll just brown mine next and then put them in the sauce. Trouble is, the recipe I gave above makes more meatballs than I need at one time. How do you suppose they hold up if I just browned them and then froze them?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:03 PM

I'd brown them and make sure they're cooked with the pork in them and they should freeze. I have always just dropped mine raw into the sauce and they freeze really well. I also just drop my sausage and pork ribs in raw and cook my gravy about 5 hrs on very low uncovered.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:32 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,333,339 times
OK folks I'm going to share one more recipe. I've given this to many people and I'm telling you, if they try it, it becomes their new favorite stuffing. The ones who didn't try it couldn't get past the lemon as an ingredient. This is an absolutely delicious stuffing. Good for so much more than just the turkey on Thanksgiving. Think pork chops, stuffed tomatoes or zucchini, the starch for most any meal, etc.

Here goes - take it or leave it. If you try it, you'll love it.

GARLIC-LEMON- PARSLEY STUFFING

10 C. dry bread cubes (about 14 slices)
1 C. finely chopped onion
1 C. snipped parsley
4 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
(Can sometimes be found dried where bulk spices
and herbs are sold)
2 tsp. dried thyme
4 tsp. dried marjoram
2-3 tsp. dried sage
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced (or more if you like)
1 C. butter or margarine, melted
2 slightly beaten eggs
1 c. water or chicken broth
¼ c. lemon juice (Again, adjust to suit your taste)

Combine bread, onion, parsley, lemon peel, marjoram, thyme, sage, salt, pepper and garlic.
Mix well. Combine melted butter, eggs, water/chicken broth and lemon juice; toss with bread mixture.

Use mixture to stuff one 10-12 lb. turkey. Or spoon into a 2 quart greased casserole, adding about 1 1/2- 2 cups of
chicken or vegetable stock to moisten. Bake, covered, in a 325 degree oven, for 30-40 minutes.
Makes about 7 cups dressing.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:41 PM

Is there anything better than stuffing-think not.

Okay on the turkey a friend told me this over 25 yrs ago-I thought she was crazy-but it makes the best crispiest,juiciest roast turkey ever! Mix mayo,salt/pepper,onion powder,garlic powder, tarragon and rub that bird well. Tent and roast-no basting needed. The skin will put you over the edge.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:51 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,298,396 times
Quote:
I always do the the same. This I learned from my Sicilian Grandmother. I don't remember what beef she used-maybe a mixture but I use ground sirloin and always shake the pot a lot or stir gingerly. Her spadini was to die for-it would melt in your mouth!

Old 08-14-2009, 05:53 PM

My best friend's Mom did it that way and was always droolable!

Old 08-15-2009, 02:13 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,348,636 times
I use a recipe that is Cajun from Paul Prudhomme to make my stuffing. I do cut back a little on the hot stuff but I love the taste the bacon gives it.

You cook the bacon first, take that out, set asside, add all the herbs and cut up vegies, I like to add sweet carrots, red bell peppers and onions, stir together, letting it cook well.

We made it with cornbread but always added some sourdough bread as well. Here is the really good part, you add the herbs and vegies and crumbled bacon AND eggs making sure that the mixture has cooled so the eggs don't scramble and then you add whole cream to it.

It simply the best stuffing I have ever had in my life. So rich you really should only eat it once or twice a year. You could substitute sausage for the bacon if you wanted but it gives a nice smokey flavor to it. There is also a little Tabasco to it, I don't put too much, you want it to be just a HINT in the background.

Again, this is so tasty that it doesn't need gravey but once you have added teh gravey, its heaven on a plate.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:52 AM

904 posts, read 2,865,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
so do you like the results just wondering
Yes and I am told by friends and family that my sauce is wonderful. The only problem is I now can't just pop open a jar of Ragu and boil some noodles for dinner. It does take awhile to make your own sauce but totally worth it.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:06 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,421,319 times
Quote:
I have always baked my meatballs and sausages. Meatballs 350° for 30 mins, then turn over with long tongs and go 30 mins more. Drain on paper towels. Cool in fridge. All day or overnight. Then I add a few to the sauce to get the flavor into the sauce. Keeps the meatballs from falling apart.

Sausages, same temp, but fill pan with about an inch of water. Drain. Poke holes in them to let the fat out. After 30 mins, turn over and poke holes in that side. After 30 mins on second side, drain well on paper towels. Add some to the sauce immediately and refrigerate the rest til needed.

I also add some of the sauce to the meatballs as I'm prepping them, so they've got that taste going on in them from birth! lol

This way, you're not getting all that extra fat into your sauce and veins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes