Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times

Advertisements

Homars, I agree. I am really enjoying reading this thread. Lubby, your mother's recipes sounds wonderful. I had a neighbor that used to make it with onions and something else. It might have been cheese.

I am making macaroni salad tomorrow. Mine will have cucumbers, bell pepper, celery and hard boiled eggs. I've been craving this for a few weeks now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
I never thought to add cheese to macaroni salad. It sounds good though.

I use just 1 lb. of elbows, (because it makes so much). I also add mayo, drained canned tuna, diced green onions, and diced red or green bell peppers. That way the salad has a little color, along with the taste. If I don't use red bell peppers, I'll sprinkle a little paprika on top for some additional color. If I have fresh parsley on hand, which I often do, I'll dice that finely and add that too. (Oh gee, I made a rhyme!)

Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Homars, I agree. I am really enjoying reading this thread. Lubby, your mother's recipes sounds wonderful. I had a neighbor that used to make it with onions and something else. It might have been cheese.

I am making macaroni salad tomorrow. Mine will have cucumbers, bell pepper, celery and hard boiled eggs. I've been craving this for a few weeks now.
Adding hard-boiled egg would make this the perfectly balanced meal in itself. Protein (eggs), carbs (veggies and pasta) and fat (mayo).

Okay! I'm ready to eat!!!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Adding hard-boiled egg would make this the perfectly balanced meal in itself. Protein (eggs), carbs (veggies and pasta) and fat (mayo).

Okay! I'm ready to eat!!!
Oh yes. I love having this for lunch or a light supper with saletine crackers. During the summer I make it two or three times a month. Here's my routine for tomorrow: cash check, go to grocery store and pay bills.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Oh yes. I love having this for lunch or a light supper with saletine crackers. During the summer I make it two or three times a month. Here's my routine for tomorrow: cash check, go to grocery store and pay bills.
I love meals like this, Antique. Real budget stretchers.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:47 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Default Macaroni salad recipies

Please share yours:

1 pound elbows
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar jack
1 cup mayo
1-2 Tbsp. onion powder
1/2 Tsp. salt

Cook pasta according to package directions. drain and rinse pasta under cold water. Add remaining ingredients, mix well. Refrigerate at least for 2 hours. My mom always makes it like this but she uses shredded white cheddar.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:03 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
My confetti macaroni salad has some combination (or all) of the following: minced celery, red bell pepper, pepperoncini, dill pickles, shallots, and carrot. The key is to get the vegetables chopped very, very, very finely. Extra work, but so delicious. Dressing is mayo with just a little sugar.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:18 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
I don't have a single way I make it every time, but I never use just mayonnaise. I usually use vinaigrette, along with some combination of fresh basil, thyme, parsley, dill, and tarragon. If I do use mayo, I add an equal amount or more of sour cream. When I use sour cream, I put in a lot of dill, and sometimes smoked salmon, snow peas, or cooked frozen peas. I often add chunks of chicken breast I break up by hand. Green vegetables don't go in until the last minute (so they don't turn grey). A Mexican-ish version will contain some chili, cilantro, and fresh lime juice. Kalamata olives go with most of these. I don't usually put cheese in. It gets too soggy.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My confetti macaroni salad has some combination (or all) of the following: minced celery, red bell pepper, pepperoncini, dill pickles, shallots, and carrot. The key is to get the vegetables chopped very, very, very finely. Extra work, but so delicious. Dressing is mayo with just a little sugar.
sounds about the way I like to make mine: I will add radishes as well if I have them. I have never thought to add cheese like many are saying they do. I am a huge lover of cheese but just don't think I want it in my mac salad. I agree with Jay, I think it gets soggy and if there is left overs the cheese would get really awful I would think. Like you I use mostly mayo. In potato salad I use a combo of mayo and sour cream, but in mac salad it is pretty much mayo.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:18 AM

126,277 posts, read 19,048,524 times
My family loves this pasta salad

200 g ( a bit more than 7 oz ) pasta of your choice
225 g ( 7.9 oz) fresh cheese of your choice ( Feta cheese,cream cheese,cottage cheese,hard cheese)
1 tsp hot Dijon mustard
pinch of salt,pepper,sugar
a shot of white balsamic vinegar
250 g ( 7 oz) cooked turkey meat
100 g ( 31/2 oz) spring onions
a cup of red,green,yellow Bell pepper
100 g ( 31/2 oz) English cucumber
a few cherry tomatoes or large tomato
2 hard boiled eggs
a bit of fresh herbs of your choice
a bit of Iceberg salad
a bit of cress

Cook noodles,cool.Meanwhile mix fresh cheese with mustard and add under noodles with balsamic vinegar,salt.pepper and sugar strongly flavored.Slice spring onions and dice Bell peppers,tomatoes and cucumber.Next cut turkey meat in small dices and chop herbs.Add everything to the pasta and mix well. Taste and leave covered in the fridge for a few hours.
Just before serving add a few crisp iceberg lettuce pieces,taste again. I lay large iceberg lettuce in the bowl and pour pasta salad on them and decorate with hard boiled quartered egg pieces and a bit of cress.

(Sometimes I add fresh mushrooms,corn,Black forest thick ham dices,snow peas or watercress.}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes