Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:00 PM

67 posts, read 213,398 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 years old and I can't cook to save my life. I know, I know - I should have learned by now. Anyway, my boyfriend does all the cooking, all the time, and I'd like to be able to help out. We're on a tight budget AND schedule, so I'd like some input on cheap, quick and easy meals to make.

Maybe something that makes a few servings so that it can be eaten a couple nights. Or, frozen and brought out at a later date.

Anyone? Everyone? I'm completely open to suggestions. I'll never make a good wife if I don't learn soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:16 PM

737 posts, read 2,577,942 times
fry up some burger meat (2 lbs. is my prefence), cut an onion, red, white or yellow, doesn't matter (size doesn't really matter here, just don't cut yourself), Ragu spaghetti sauce or some other prepared sauce, pre-cut mushrooms (again, your knife skills aren't that "sharp" yet and you'll be safe). Low heat and and boxed pasta. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese over it before serving. Total cost, depending on what you pay for the beef, less than $4/pp.

Now if you really want to get things going, you'll want to invest in fresh (or dried) oregano and add to the sauce. I also add Italian sausage, but you'll increase the cost.

In any case, you can freeze the leftover sauce and use over and over again... think lasagne, baked spaghetti, oh the choices are endless and making me hungry!

Boxed stuffing covered with a poached egg and Campbells Soup... sounds gross, but actually, with fresh ground pepper, pretty darn good.

Or, a whole chicken, baked upside down (breast is on the bottom); whatever spices you like - and I'm thinking budget here so salt and pepper is just fine but please consider REAL butter or a more expense olive oil to coat. Place the chicken on plenty of cheap, white onions (more is better); if you can afford it, some fresh sage, rosemary (use sparingly) and/or apples. Yum. Again, cheap box stuffing has come a long way from back in the day. Don't be afraid of the boxed risotto and some other prepared foods... save money and eat well!

I know there are other foodies that will give you great and guaranteed advice. Enjoy!

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 08-10-2009 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: By the way, I had to call the toll-free Butterball hotline when I was your age. Have fun!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:24 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,327,686 times
First of all, go out and get a good beginners cookbook. Go to a bookstore with a large selection and find one that appeals to you. I'm pretty sure they have some "Cooking for Dummies" type books. If you can read, you can cook!
If recipes call for herbs and spices, go to a supermarket that sells bulk spices. Do NOT buy the spices from the spice aisle. They are way too expensive. Get them out of the jars in the bulk section and buy just what you need. It'll cost just pennies.
Here's a cheap and delicious rice casserole.

Rice Vegetable Cheese Casserole
Serves 4 to 6

I’ve made this so many times, but have never measured or written it down.
It’s delicious every time and doesn’t really need specific quantities.
Just put in what you like or have and leave out what you don’t. The only “musts” are the rice, butter, cheese and liquid. Here’s what I put in mine, but you can make it your own with your favorite ingredients.

3-4 cups cooked rice.
4-6 TB. butter or margarine
11/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2-3 cups sliced tomatoes, white or yellow onion slices, sliced mushrooms, broccoli and/or zucchini or any veggies of your choice.
1 cup liquid. It can be chicken or vegetable broth or white wine or a combination.
Water is OK too.

Spread a cup of cooked rice on the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Layer
veggies on top of the rice. Dot with 1-2 TB butter, divided so that you have 5 or 6 “dots”.
Sprinkle with ¼ to 1/3 cup of the cheese. Repeat until you run out of rice and vegetables.
It doesn’t matter what ends up on top, but some cheese is nice. Pour the 1 cup of liquid over the whole thing. Cover and pop into a 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes or until it’s piping hot in the center. Serve with crusty French bread and a fruit salad.
Tastes even better the second day!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM

878 posts, read 2,725,863 times
On this forum...there is an easy recipe for busy day meatballs...it is fantastic and ever so easy with ingredients that everyone has and cheap...worth a shot if you like meatballs and can serve it over pasta, rice, veggies or whatever you choose.

Last edited by dens; 08-10-2009 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 03:03 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Tight budget? Try your local library, most have a decent assortment of cookbooks or can get them for you. And have fun! Try things, some will be better than others but it's all a learning experience.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,234,980 times
I agree with all of the above, also make sure the cookbook has great step by step pictures - will make things easier! Good luck!

Old 08-11-2009, 01:23 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,479,962 times
In between all the reading your going to be doing

Get a box of Hamburger or Tuna Helper

For the tuna helper omit the tuna and add shrimp, white frozen
pearl onions, garlic powder, frozen mixed Asian style veggies after
you pour into a serving dish sprinkle to top with parmesan cheese

For the regular hamburger helper lets say lasagna add a can of
mushrooms, garlic powder, dried oregano after you pour it in a
serving dish cover the top with shreadded mozzarella cheese
and let it sit until it melts

Here's one that will always hit a home run and it's great
using left over chicken !

Here is what you'll need:

1 can of Grand Biscuts
1lb of chicken cut into bite sized pieces
1 can cream of chicken & mushroom soup
1 bag of mixed veggies (peas & carrots)
1 small can of mushorrms
1 13X9 cake pan

Open up Grand Biscuts and place half of them on bottom of cake pan
and bake as directed.

Heat frying pan to a Med.High heat

Put chicken on a plate add ½ teaspoon of cooking oil and spices
pepper,salt,poultry seasoning mix around with a fork.

Put 2 tablespoons of cooking oil into hot frying pan along with
2 teaspoons of butter add chicken and stir until all sides are golden
brown, drain and return to stove add cream of chicken & mushroom
soup, mushrooms & veggies fill empty soup can ½ way with milk and
add slowly turn heat down to medium cover and simmer 10 min and
keep stiring !

Carefully pour over baked Grand Biscuts and add the left over Grand
Biscuts to the top and pop it in the oven bake until they are done

Think of learning cooking as an adventure you can share together

Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,327,276 times
This is a must have cookbook. Step by step instructions, practically fool proof and delicious results. Amazon.com: The New Best Recipe: All-New Edition (9780936184746): Cook's Illustrated Magazine, John Burgoyne, Carl Tremblay, Daniel J. Van Ackere: Books

Old 08-11-2009, 10:03 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,198,514 times
I agree...this book that Beretta mentioned is wonderful. Hey girl, if I can cook anybody can cook!! It takes times and some failures--that was always tuff for me--but you will get it!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:59 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,984,510 times
You can't go wrong with roast chicken, but I'd do it a little differently than Sunset Beach. Just get a whole chicken, wash it out, dry it well with paper towels, coat it with salt and pepper. Take a piece of aluminum foil, twist it into a "rope" and use that to tie the legs together. Put it breast up on a rack in a shallow pan in a 420 degree oven. And do nothing. No basting, no covering with butter, nothing. It will brown beautifully in about an hour and ten minutes or so and will have delicious, crispy skin. If you baste or coat it the skin will be softer, which I don't like as much. You might want to take the oven rack down a notch, because if it's very close the top of the oven the reflected heat can overdo the breast. Right before you serve it microwave a bowl of frozen peas with some salt and butter, and make some instant gravy and instant mashed potatoes, both of which are super-easy and pretty cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes