Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:21 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,819,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I don't think you guys are reading....I revived this thread and asked for a tartar sauce recipe that did have pickles, and a cinnamon like flavor This thread is from 2009, and OP is no longer a member.

See 3 posts up
How about using chopped cornichons and a tiny bit of cinnamon in any recipe for tartar sauce or remoulade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 09:10 AM

6,546 posts, read 4,694,082 times
Terra, I too love tartar sauce (although I'm not sure about that cinnamony flavor you're talking about ), but I rarely have any in my fridge.

I have found that mixing a bit of relish with mayo (or maybe miracle whip if you are of a mind) usually suffices. I just mix it until it looks like what I think it should look like. I suppose you could experiment with adding cinnamon to the whole thing a little at a time.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:16 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,511,585 times
I've experimented with the cinnamon Pugubabug. (And I could never use Miracle Whip-strictly home made or Hellmans)

Here's what I've been messing around with.

I can't stand sweet relish, and I love the Koscher dill Claussen's spears. So I'm using them as the 'relish,' and then the Hellman's mayo, and a dash of cinnamon. I hate dill, so that's out. (unless one of you can tell me that dill married with another spice changes it's complexity and original taste)

But the flavor is not complex enough.
Guys, what am I missing?

PS: Also tried with some fresh lemon juice added, but still missing something.

Oh, and Pug, you'd loooove this cinnamon tartar sauce the fish restaurant makes...it is so unique. I have got to match this recipe up

Last edited by TerraDown; 01-09-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-09-2016, 09:32 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,327,276 times
I don't eat tartar sauce but I have seen some recipes that call for sweet paprika.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:38 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,511,585 times
Paprika sounds good, thanks for the tip

Old 01-09-2016, 11:33 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,819,285 times
What if you were to steep some extremely small-diced shallot with some vinegar and cinnamon for awhile before assembling the rest of the sauce. Perhaps tarragon vinegar.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:04 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,114,319 times
I like the Tartar Sauce at Anthony's Fish Grotto in San Diego. Closest I can come is 3Tbsp Mayo, 1/2 tsp yellow mustard, 2 tsp dill relish. Not exact but tasty. I also make it with sweet relish for a change.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:06 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,423,524 times
Quote:
I've experimented with the cinnamon Pugubabug. (And I could never use Miracle Whip-strictly home made or Hellmans)

Here's what I've been messing around with.

I can't stand sweet relish, and I love the Koscher dill Claussen's spears. So I'm using them as the 'relish,' and then the Hellman's mayo, and a dash of cinnamon. I hate dill, so that's out. (unless one of you can tell me that dill married with another spice changes it's complexity and original taste)

But the flavor is not complex enough.
Guys, what am I missing?

PS: Also tried with some fresh lemon juice added, but still missing something.

Oh, and Pug, you'd loooove this cinnamon tartar sauce the fish restaurant makes...it is so unique. I have got to match this recipe up
I always put finely diced onions in my tartar sauce. My older cookbooks call for onion juice in it.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:02 PM

32,477 posts, read 47,405,393 times
Quote:
.....But the flavor is not complex enough.
Guys, what am I missing?........
Tartar sauce needs a drop of horse radish. Not very much. You don't want it to taste like horse radish, but a bit of that flavor is necessary.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:22 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,370,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I always put finely diced onions in my tartar sauce. My older cookbooks call for onion juice in it.
I grate the onions and dill pickles on the fine side of a box cheese grater. You end up with juice. I also don't like chunks of onion/pickle even fine chopped in my tartar sauce. I take the grated pickles/onions up with a fork draining them, add to mayo and then add the left over juice slowly to consistency that is not runny.

For a sweet tartar sauce, I use chow chow relish which is a green tomato/cabbage/pepper relish that is much finer consistency than pickle relish.

To the OP is it possible the spice you are tasting is tarragon? I've seen that in recipes. It can taste a bit like anise which has a licorice flavor that you may be perceiving as cinnamon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes