Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 03:11 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,240 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a bread recipe that rocks? I have the amish bread and make cinnamon rolls with that recipe which is sooooooooooooo good. I would like to get a whole wheat recipe and anything else that is different. I will have to make it with my own hands. So please share with me? Oh does anyone have recipe on how to make sourdough bread starter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 09:31 PM

145 posts, read 375,212 times
Default Beer Bread

have you ever tried to make beer bread? some people like to make it with an artichoke dip too.

3 C. flour
1 1/2 t. salt
3 t. baking powder
1/3 C. sugar
1 can of beer

Mix dry, add beer and stir. Pour into 9 x 5 pan. Bake at 350 for 50 - 60 minutes.

* I also pour 2 T. melted butter over the batter before baking *

Old 11-05-2007, 01:49 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,240 times
Interesting....Thank You

Old 11-10-2007, 06:23 AM

187 posts, read 589,267 times
WHOLE WHEAT POTATO BREAD - 2 loaves
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups mashed potato flakes
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 pkg dry yeast
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup stick margarine or butter
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

In a big bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the bread flour, the potato flakes, salt & yeast. Blend well. In a medium saucepan heat water, milk, margarine & honey until very warm (120 to 130°). Add warm liquid & eggs to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened.
Beat 4 minutes 1 medium speed. By hand, stir in remaining bread flour & 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the whole wheat flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.
On a floured surface, knead in remaining whole wheat flour until dough is smooth & elastic, about 10 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl & cover loosely w/plastic wrap & cloth towel. Let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
Punch dough down. Divide into 2 parts & shape into balls. Allow to rest on counter, covered with inverted bowl for 15 minutes. Shape dough into 2 loaves & place in two 8x4" or 9x5" loaf pans.
Cover & let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 30-45 minutes. Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 35-40 minutes or until deep golden brown & loaves sound hollow when tapped lightly. Immediately remove from pans, If desired, brush w/butter.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:18 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,149 times
Thumbs up Great Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleme View Post
WHOLE WHEAT POTATO BREAD - 2 loaves
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups mashed potato flakes
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 pkg dry yeast
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup stick margarine or butter
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

In a big bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the bread flour, the potato flakes, salt & yeast. Blend well. In a medium saucepan heat water, milk, margarine & honey until very warm (120 to 130°). Add warm liquid & eggs to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened.
Beat 4 minutes 1 medium speed. By hand, stir in remaining bread flour & 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the whole wheat flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.
On a floured surface, knead in remaining whole wheat flour until dough is smooth & elastic, about 10 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl & cover loosely w/plastic wrap & cloth towel. Let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
Punch dough down. Divide into 2 parts & shape into balls. Allow to rest on counter, covered with inverted bowl for 15 minutes. Shape dough into 2 loaves & place in two 8x4" or 9x5" loaf pans.
Cover & let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 30-45 minutes. Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 35-40 minutes or until deep golden brown & loaves sound hollow when tapped lightly. Immediately remove from pans, If desired, brush w/butter.
I just made this bread. It turned out wonderful! Good flavor, soft texture, easy to make. Definitely a keeper.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:15 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,959 times
Default Rosemary Bread

I make a lot of bread...all sorts. I usually make hearty artisan breads, but the following recipe is a good soft bread. I got the recipe from The Net and modified it just a bit, actually clarified the instructions and added comments. It is easy to make and is ready in just a little over 2 hours. As written the recipe makes one fairly small loaf...and if like others who have tried it you will eat it up rather quickly.

Breads 276 (Rosemary Bread 06 - Romano's Macaroni Grill Copycat 01)

2 teaspoons sugar
½ cup water, divided
1½ teaspoons (approximately 1 packet) regular dry yeast (see COMMENTS)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves (or 1½ teaspoons dried), divided
1 tablespoon olive oil or soft butter, plus additional to grease dough
1¼ cups (about) flour (see COMMENTS)
½ teaspoon salt
Kosher salt (optional) for application to finished loaf
vegetable oil spray

1. Mix the sugar into ¼ cup of the water. Microwave 30 seconds or until very warm (105°F), and stir to be sure sugar is dissolved. Sprinkle on the yeast and set aside for 5 minutes, until foamy.
2. Meantime, chop half the rosemary very fine, mix with additional ¼ cup of the water, and microwave 1 minute or until water is very hot but not boiling. Let stand 5 minutes.
3. Place yeast mixture, rosemary mixture, olive oil, 1 cup of the flour, and salt in food processor or bowl of mixer fitted with dough hook. Mix until a soft dough forms, adding more flour if it's too sticky. Knead 5 minutes by machine or 10 minutes by hand, until smooth and elastic.
4. Form dough into a ball, rub all over with oil, and cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
5. Punch dough down and shape into a round loaf. Spray a cookie sheet with oil and place the dough in center. Sprinkle with the remaining (unchopped) rosemary, pressing lightly into surface. Let loaf rise again until doubled in size, about 35 minutes.
6. Heat oven to 375°F. Place the cookie sheet with the formed load on the middle rack. Place a pie pan of boiling water on a rack beneath the loaf. Bake about 20 minutes, until bread is lightly browned and sounds hollow when tapped (the internal temperature should be about 205°F).
7. Set bread on wire rack to cool. After 5 minutes, brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt (if desired). Serve warm with olive oil mixed with cracked pepper, balsamic vinegar (optional), and Parmesan cheese for dipping or just smear with real butter.

NOTE: If multiplying recipe, after punching the dough down, divide the dough into equal size balls and let rest for 5 minutes before shaping into final round loaves.

COMMENTS: The dough is very soft and tender. Bread flour is recommended but all-purpose flour will suffice. A standard packet of active dry yeast contains about 1¼ teaspoons, but since the yeast reproduces rapidly in this recipe the slight variance from the 1½ teaspoons called for is generally inconsequential. As with any bread, it may be necessary to adjust the amount of flour or water slightly to allow for moisture content, weather conditions, and other variables. The bread may rise more quickly than indicated in the recipe so be sure to watch it carefully. It may be desirable to use more rosemary depending upon the strength of the herb available.

Yields 1 (8- to 9-inch) loaf (8 servings)

Recipe from: Rice pudding recipe is a classic | Athens Banner-Herald

Old 11-01-2008, 08:34 PM

849 posts, read 1,952,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyheyheyhey View Post
have you ever tried to make beer bread? some people like to make it with an artichoke dip too.

3 C. flour
1 1/2 t. salt
3 t. baking powder
1/3 C. sugar
1 can of beer

Mix dry, add beer and stir. Pour into 9 x 5 pan. Bake at 350 for 50 - 60 minutes.

* I also pour 2 T. melted butter over the batter before baking *
I love beer bread. This one is very similar to one I make. Here's mine.

• 3 cups flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder(omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 (12 ounce) can beer
  • 1/4 cup melted butter(to pour over the top before baking.)

Old 11-01-2008, 10:43 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
I’ve made a lot of bread over the years, but I can’t really think of a recipe. Lots of flour, some yeast in warm water, sugar and salt. Sometimes eggs, sometimes honey, whatever kind of flour I have on hand, from plain white to whole wheat to rye to whatever. Sometimes some protein powder [for my husband], sometimes eggs, some oil, sometimes potato water or instant mashed potatoes, stir it all together and keep adding flour until it’s stiff enough to knead. It’s a really great way to relieve stress and tension.
Sometimes I bake it in loaf pans - I also have a double french bread pan, sometimes I made big rolls and bake them on a cookie sheet, which my kids called breadlets, sometimes I make little flat patties and bake them on the top of the stove and have English muffins. A couple times I’ve twisted bits and deep fried them to make donuts - those really need sugar and cinnamon to roll in.
The only time I’ve ever had a batch fail was once when the power went off about 15 minutes after I’d put 4 loaf pans into the oven. Even the dogs wouldn’t eat those!

Old 11-02-2008, 05:42 AM

187 posts, read 589,267 times
Glad you liked it, Geekduo. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:44 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
Any other recipes, especially recipes for bread machines?
We've just bought a bread machine and I'd like to try different sorts of bread, espacially sweet ones for breakfast...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes