Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,460,840 times

Advertisements

I've decided to stop buying spaghetti sauce in the jar. I've never made marinara sauce at home. There are tons of recipes on the net, but I'd like to try some tried and true recipes for marinara sauce from the posters here.

Also, is it true that you shouldn't make the sauce in a aluminum pot? That's all I have. What is the best kind of pot I can buy to make my marinara sauce in? Can I make it in a crock pot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
so easy. Chop an onion, sautee it in some olive oil. Salt and pepper. Chopped garlic, chopped parsley, and chopped basil if you have it...I grow the herbs in pots on my terrace, but get them from the grocery store is fine, or I guess dry would be fine in a pinch, but fresh is sooooooooo much better. Add I small can tomato paste and cook a bit with the onion and herbs. Add 2 large cans whole tomatoes. Kind of chop up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon or something. Let cook for an hour or two. I always add some pecorino romano cheese during the last 10 mins or so.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:02 AM

187 posts, read 589,076 times
The tomatoes can interact with the aluminum. You can add more garlic or less or more oregano or less to make it to your own taste.
Marinara - about 3 cups
6 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes
2 TBL olive oil\
1 TBL finely chopped garlic
2 tsp dried oregano
3 TBL chopped parsley
Salt & pepper to taste

Place the tomateos in a saucepan & cook until reduced by half. Stir often to prevent sticking. Heat the oil in another saucepan & add the garlic. Cook briefly making sure not to burn it & add the tomatoes, oregano, parsley, salt & pepper to taste.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:59 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
We had a sauce thread recently!

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...pe-needed.html

Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8doglove View Post
Also, is it true that you shouldn't make the sauce in a aluminum pot? That's all I have. What is the best kind of pot I can buy to make my marinara sauce in? Can I make it in a crock pot?
Aluminum particles "bleed" off into acidic items...Tomatoes are very acidic...Therefore aluminum pans aren't recommended. Any other pan is fine. Also don't be confused by aluminum "disk" pans, which is pan of different metal with only a CORE of aluminum. Those are fine. Yes you can use a crock pot.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:39 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
I did some blind taste tests...I've found that BERTOLLI TOMATO & BASIL jarred sauce simmered for an hour tastes just as good as any canned tomato recipe. I do like to add 4 pressed cloves of garlic to it. It's a great base and you can make it more intense by adding other ingredients. A lot less work, same results.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:14 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
simple easy, in fact I have a stainless steel pan simmering the gravy, (sp. sauce) right now. This is the best time of year to make the sauce, I took 12 Roma tomatoes from the garden and scored each tomato on the bottom with an X using a sharp paring knife. Add the tomatoes in a pot of boiling water, covered for 3 mins. Ladle the tomatoes with a slotted spoon in a cold ice water bath, the skins will come off themselves.

2 T of oo in a non-reactive pan to simmer, add
6 cloves of chopped garlic
3 T minced sweet onion
dash of dry Burgundy wine
lots of fresh basil
Italian parsley
1 T tomato paste
s/p & red p to taste
crush tomatoes and add to the above ingredients, simmer for 1 1/2 hrs.

delicious, inexpensive and no preservatives

Any other time of the year sub. good Imported Italian crushed tomatoes, ie. San Marzano, Pastene

Once you have home made you will never buy another jar of sauce.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:53 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
I agree, kelsie. Altho, once in a great while, when I'm absolutely flumoxed as to what to have, I will succumb to a cheap representation of gravy.

So, once my kitchen is back to normal, I'll be making some 'sketti and meat-a-balls for dinner. (Sung to the tune "someday my prince will come").....Someday my sink will come......

Old 08-14-2009, 11:04 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,460,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Aluminum particles "bleed" off into acidic items...Tomatoes are very acidic...Therefore aluminum pans aren't recommended. Any other pan is fine. Also don't be confused by aluminum "disk" pans, which is pan of different metal with only a CORE of aluminum. Those are fine. Yes you can use a crock pot.

Okay everyone, for the first time ever, I made my homemade marinara sauce. And yes, I cooked it in my crock pot, on low, for four hours. It turned out very rich and delicious!

My ingredients were:

One 28 oz. can of Contadina crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs
1 small can of tomato paste
4 shallots and 3 garlic cloves, minced and sauteed in a fry pan then added into the tomato mixture
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbs sugar

Stirred all the ingredients together and let simmer for hours, stirring once an hour. Served it over breaded (baked) eggplant with a side of whole wheat angel hair pasta. I'll never buy jar spaghetti sauce again. I can't believe I didn't think to do this sooner.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:15 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
gr: when using the crockpot for cooking an important tip is to NEVER open the crockpot to stir the food, each time it is opened you lose a 1/2 of cooking time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes