Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 05:07 PM

149 posts, read 260,207 times

Advertisements

My favorite is preparing enchiladas. First I cook the ground meat in there with a diced onion and let it steam thoroughly til Cooked. Then I remove the ground beef. Add a little oil to thoroughly coat bottom of cooker. Then I add the rolled enchiladas filled with the ground beef mixture add some cheese roll them up cover with sauce and cook!

I also like to cook chili in the rice cooker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Film critic Roger Ebert has written an excellent cookbook about cooking in a rice cooker, which he calls "The Pot."

Roger Ebert's Cookbook 'The Pot and How to Use It': Rice Cooker Is Focus Of Movie Critic Who Can't Eat

Old 09-08-2012, 08:49 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
I was born to Chinese immigrants, so we used this thing almost daily when I was younger.

Chicken, beef, tofu, mushrooms, peas, herbs, onions, even carrots all work. Rice really makes the meal but I imagine you could use just one or a combination of those listed ingredients. For best results, the items should be sliced as thin as possible for thickness actually made them mushier.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook is another great resource.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbecue_is_a_noun View Post
My favorite is preparing enchiladas. First I cook the ground meat in there with a diced onion and let it steam thoroughly til Cooked. Then I remove the ground beef. Add a little oil to thoroughly coat bottom of cooker. Then I add the rolled enchiladas filled with the ground beef mixture add some cheese roll them up cover with sauce and cook!

It's necessary to brown meat at a higher temperatrure in order to allow the Maille reaction to take place. That's the reaction tha gives us hundreds of interesting compounds that provide the special flavor of browned meat. If you need a lubricant while you're cooking the filled enchiladas add a bit of the fat from the ground beef, not oil which adds an alien flavor. I cook ground beef, or better, ground chuck (15-20% fat) in a rather hot skillet and keep it moving. I drain it afterwards. Then I bake the enchiladas in a regular oven that provides dry heat.

I rarely make enchiladas but mine are better than any Mexican restaurant's.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Film critic Roger Ebert has written an excellent cookbook about cooking in a rice cooker, which he calls "The Pot."

Roger Ebert's Cookbook 'The Pot and How to Use It': Rice Cooker Is Focus Of Movie Critic Who Can't Eat
I love this book! I had been reading his blog on rice cooker recipes for a couple of years so I was really happy when he announced he was writing the cookbook.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:04 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbecue_is_a_noun View Post

This is a really good idea! I don't eat meat but plan to try this with my meatless enchilada recipe.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:55 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Default Is having a rice cooker worth it?

I don't eat a ton of rice although I do love rice. I have been reading how people will cook other things in the rice cooker that isn't rice, like meat. I have a crock pot. Is there an advantage to having a rice cooker if I don't eat a ton of rice? I read a good recipe for pulled pork to be cooked in a rice cooker. Tell me if it is worth the money or if my crock pot is good enough along with just maki9ng my rice in a pan like I usually do.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:48 AM

18,389 posts, read 19,023,642 times
a rice cooker is super simple to use. I have a cheap one that wasn't more than 20 bucks and it has lasted for ages. I don't cook anything in it other than rice. we don't eat a lot of rice either but it is fast and easy when we do.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:41 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Don't buy a rice cooker to make pulled pork in! You'll do much better with the crockpot you already have. That recipe you saw was just for someone who ONLY has a rice cooker.

What makes a rice cooker handy is that it's automatic. You measure your rice and water into the pot, it cooks the rice and then rings a bell and turns itself down to a stay warm setting, or off, depending on the model.

What makes a rice cooker work is that as long as the rice/water mixture has any liquid left to boil the temperature is limited to the boiling temperature of 212 F degrees. Once the liquid disappears the rice is ready (if the proportion of the measurements were correct). As soon as that happens the temperature rises and a thermostatic mechanism flips the switch and rings the bell. It's a very simple mechanism, simpler than a toaster, and they're very inexpensive to buy.

For most people the decision to buy one or not depends mostly on whether you have room to store it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes