Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:22 AM

878 posts, read 2,738,061 times

Advertisements

Totally agree with last post. Keep it simple. Get a cheap one, use it for rice only. Love that it is automatic so no worrying about it. Even if you only use it once a month, it is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 05:29 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,945 times
No!

Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
I have a pot with a lid...makes perfect rice. save the money and buy you some jasmine or Basmati rice to cook.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Don't buy a rice cooker to make pulled pork in! You'll do much better with the crockpot you already have. That recipe you saw was just for someone who ONLY has a rice cooker.

What makes a rice cooker handy is that it's automatic. You measure your rice and water into the pot, it cooks the rice and then rings a bell and turns itself down to a stay warm setting, or off, depending on the model.

What makes a rice cooker work is that as long as the rice/water mixture has any liquid left to boil the temperature is limited to the boiling temperature of 212 F degrees. Once the liquid disappears the rice is ready (if the proportion of the measurements were correct). As soon as that happens the temperature rises and a thermostatic mechanism flips the switch and rings the bell. It's a very simple mechanism, simpler than a toaster, and they're very inexpensive to buy.

For most people the decision to buy one or not depends mostly on whether you have room to store it.
Thanks for the explanation -- I've thought about getting one myself. I LOVE rice and it's pretty easy to make on the stove top, but I always end up scraping something off of the bottom of the pot. I'm all FOR automatic devices that shut themselves off and don't overcook!

Old 04-28-2013, 10:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I love my (really inexpensive) rice cooker, but I use it very often. It just makes better rice than I make on the stovetop, and I don't have to watch it, so I can be making something else while it's going. It's small, too, so it stores well.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 AM

126,280 posts, read 19,053,589 times
I don't think it is necessary at all to have a rice cooker. If you know how to cook rice proper than it is easy as 1 2 3 ...For me just a waste of money...but that is my opinion.Get a good quality rice that is important!

Old 04-28-2013, 10:40 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,814 times
The one I have makes rice and also steams the veggies.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I have a rice cooker but haven't used it since I switched from white rice to brown rice. Brown rice takes longer to cook, so the timer on the rice cooker has lost its value to me.

OP, would you eat more rice if it were super convenient to cook it? The rice cooker does its job well.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 AM

874 posts, read 636,738 times
I don't cook a lot of rice, either. So, I went with a microwave rice cooker. It was really cheap from someplace like Walmart. It is heavy-duty plastic, lightweight, easy to handle, dishwasher safe, stores in the cabinet. I love it.

I, too, cook rice on the stovetop and have for decades. However, you do have to stir it and watch it and it takes up a burner. Sometimes, I like to toss the rice/water/salt into the cooker, shove it in the microwave, and go do something else for 20 minutes. It is also nice if I am using all my stove eyes for something else.

Around here, we eat rice for breakfast with butter and sugar (and sometimes, a little milk). For that, I cook it on the stove because we like it to be more creamy. The rice cooker turns out a drier rice like Mexican rice or non-sticky Asian rice.

Ella

Old 04-28-2013, 12:15 PM

133 posts, read 281,119 times
Default RE: Brown rice in a rice cooker

If you have the type of rice cooker that uses a thermostat instead of a timer, brown rice works just as well as white rice does.

The trick to cooking brown rice in a rice cooker is to use more water than usual. Brown rice doesn't cook as quickly as white.

If I am cooking 1 1/2 cups of white rice I use 3 cups of water.
If I am cooking 1 1/2 cups of brown rice I use 3 1/2 cups of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes