Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 03:54 PM

50,178 posts, read 63,623,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Pomona is the harvest goddess associated with apples.

Re: the recipes, I don't ever use sweet things in deviled eggs. My deviled eggs are very much like my egg salad.
Well you should try it! Why be ordinary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 04:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
I don't like sweet flavors in my food, as a rule. Pretty much no sweet tooth. Savory dishes only. I cringe when I read recipes for salads, slaws, chutneys, etc. that require the addition of sugar, Miracle Whip, sweet relish and the like. If it's not one of a few select desserts, I don't want it sweetened.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:36 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,927,961 times
Kinda like my Potato salad mashed potaotes. eat at cool temp.... not hot or cold-cold

Old 07-06-2013, 04:47 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,158,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have never heard of this, but then I don't get around much. I was about to make the same old egg salad recipe for lunch, and I had an epiphany. Since everyone loves deviled eggs, why not make the egg salad with the ingredients in deviled eggs? Duh.
I guess it depends upon how you make your deviled eggs, but mine are nothing like plain egg salad.

I don't measure but...
6 boiled eggs, chopped
1 large plop of sweet relish (1/4c?)
1 large plop of mayo (1/4c?)
salt & pepper
2-4 T ketchup
1 t. dry mustard
dash Tabasco

Adjust the ketchup to taste. It becomes kind of a Thousand Island or Crab Louis sauce.
Yeah - I do this. I don't add the tabasco or the ketchup. I use a little horseradish and chopped jalapeno, for kick. It's not your momma's egg salad. BTW, my deviled eggs also have the same ingredients.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
Horseradish and chopped jalapeno are good, and also very finely minced onion. Egg salad is also good when garnished with a bit of french fried onion for texture.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
Ketchup in egg salad? Pass.

A touch of dry mustard instead. I made an excellent potato salad the other day, with hard boiled eggs, crisp celery, red peppers, red onion, parsley, and a light oil vinegar dressing, it was delicious.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,350,584 times
Paprika!

It's really odd to me that nobody has yet mentioned paprika, which I consider to be a key ingredient of deviled eggs. The term "deviled" means spicy, and spicy hot paprika... ground red peppers... was what made it deviled.

Matter of fact, I can do a delicious deviled egg with just egg, mayonnaise, mustard, and paprika.

I still prefer a good Hungarian or Spanish paprika to be superior to Tabasco for the purpose, because I don't want the vinegar taste. And ketchup? Not for me.

But my secret ingedient, for special occasions, is smoked paprika.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 AM

4,488 posts, read 4,962,189 times
I add a splash of tarragon
Vinegar to my devil eggs.
Whip the yolks with mustard, lil bit of
Mayo, salt, pepper, place on a devil egg platter sprinkle eggs on platter with paprika and dill.
Use a decorator bag to squeeze the filling onto the egg halves.
Looks pretty and taste DELISH.
Whenever I need to take a dish to a get together or party and don't want to spend money or go to the grocery store, this is my go-to dish.

It's the first thing to get gobbled up!!!
I call them devil eggs because when my daughter was younger, this is what she called them.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Egg salad and deviled eggs don't provide the same eating experience. Both the taste and feel in the mouth are different. I tried it once; never again.

I don't eat sweet deviled eggs. Here's my recipe for Deviled Eggs Pomona, my own recipe.

12 relatively soft hard cooked eggs
6 dashes Tabasco (original)
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp Grey Poupon Mustard
Hellman's or Best Foods or homemade mayo
Salt

Slice eggs and transfer yolks to a small bowl. Add Tabasco, vinegar, and mustard; blend until smooth. Then add salt and mayo in alternating small amounts until reaching correct taste and texture. This recipe assumes the use of extra large eggs. If you're using different or unsized eggs you'll need to adjust the number. The apple cider vinegar imparts a delightful hint of smokiness.
I've made deviled eggs using all sorts of ingredients; these are the best.
Shame on me. I forgot to mention that the final step is to sprinkle them with smoked paprika.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:53 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have never heard of this, but then I don't get around much. I was about to make the same old egg salad recipe for lunch, and I had an epiphany. Since everyone loves deviled eggs, why not make the egg salad with the ingredients in deviled eggs? Duh.
I guess it depends upon how you make your deviled eggs, but mine are nothing like plain egg salad.

I don't measure but...
6 boiled eggs, chopped
1 large plop of sweet relish (1/4c?)
1 large plop of mayo (1/4c?)
salt & pepper
2-4 T ketchup
1 t. dry mustard
dash Tabasco

Adjust the ketchup to taste. It becomes kind of a Thousand Island or Crab Louis sauce.
Everything does sound great except I think I would use dill relish and leave out the ketchup. I am not a ketchup person, but the Tabasco sauce sounds like a nice added touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes