Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times

Advertisements

I'm the first to admit I'm NOT a morning person! I know I should get up a little earlier and fix a good breakfast, but I just don't get up until last minute! My husband goes to work very early and my kids are grown, so it's JUST ME to worry about in the morning! I do eat breakfast as I know it's important and I don't feel well if I don't eat something. So usually I just grab a granola bar or a yogurt or a little cottage cheese, always with a piece of fruit of some kind, as I'm literally running out the door! I know that most granola bars/breakfast bars aren't that healthy and I'm looking for healthy alternatives. Any ideas you have for "on the run" breakfast ideas would be appreciated. I don't mind fixing something the night before, as long as I can just grab & go in the morning! Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 11:11 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
Breakfast burritos! Scramble some eggs, fry some sausage, add some picante sauce, put on a tortilla. Wrap in wax paper, put in microwave that morn and out the door.

Omlette in a wrap. Make an omlette, put in a tortilla, wax paper, heat and go. In the omlette add ham and cheese.

What about a ham sandwich? Hamburger from night before? Meatloaf sandwich...from night before?

Ham & cheese wrapped in lettuce, throw in some tomatoes.

BLT, w/leftover bacon.

T-bone steak w/baked potatoe...........ok, little crazy, I'm just hungry now.

Bet your hubby would like a t-bone steak w/baked potato for b-fast! I know I do.

Think "outside the box" ...of cereal.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I just drink some OJ, eat a blueberry yogurt, and I'm good to go! Plenty of calories and nutrients (oh--don't forget the coffee!)
I just can't eat a huge breakfast, or I'm done for the day!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:21 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
I'm not a morning person either, but I was always a freak for muesli. What I do now is the night before, run raw old fashioned oats and whatever nuts I have on hand through a nut chopper [I have a little hand crank one], then put it in a large glass, cover with plenty of milk, and let it soak overnight in the fridge. The next morning one can add berries - fresh or frozen - or whatever else. Actually, my 'glass' is either a large travelling mug, or one of those insulated tall things that are also great for iced tea. Since it does tend to settle, anything with a tight top is best, that way it can be swished around to mix it between slurps.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:23 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Sometimes I take a bag or little tuppaware of cereal to work and eat it dry, with a glass of milk or juice to drink. (I keep milk at work in the fridge).
There are good healthy cereals (like GoLean Crunch or Autumn Wheat - Kashi brand) which are chunky enough not to need a spoon to eat them with!

Baked sweet potatoes - another healthy food - are delicious cold, bake the day before, wrap in foil and take along.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:31 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
I have been making muffins and freezing them. Then in the am, if I want one I can just pull it out zap it in the micro and eat it and run.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:09 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
Whole-grain bagels with lite veggie cream cheese, sprouts, cukes, and tomatoes is a favorite of mine.

I also like to bring instant oatmeal packets to work, along with hot chocolate mix to add to my coffee to make mocha when I need a pick-me-up

Breakfast burritos are super yummy and satisfying too.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:15 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I make this on the weekend, cut into serving portions, wrap individually in baggies, and take them out as needed for breakfast at the office. Just pop them in the microwave at work!

Crustless Chile-cheese Quiche

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, melted
10 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 8 oz can chopped green chiles
1 pint cottage cheese (small curd)
1 lb monterey jack cheese (or mozzarella), shredded
salsa - optional

Directions
In a 13 x 9 inch pan melt butter
Beat eggs lightly in a large bowl
Add flour and baking powder, combine
add remaining ingredients including melted butter from pan
(except salsa); blend well
Pour batter into pan and bake at 400 F for 14 minutes
Reduce heat to 350 F and bake 35-40 minutes longer.
Cut into squares and serve warm with salsa.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Breakfast burritos! Scramble some eggs, fry some sausage, add some picante sauce, put on a tortilla. Wrap in wax paper, put in microwave that morn and out the door.

Omlette in a wrap. Make an omlette, put in a tortilla, wax paper, heat and go. In the omlette add ham and cheese.

What about a ham sandwich? Hamburger from night before? Meatloaf sandwich...from night before?

Ham & cheese wrapped in lettuce, throw in some tomatoes.

BLT, w/leftover bacon.

T-bone steak w/baked potatoe...........ok, little crazy, I'm just hungry now.

Bet your hubby would like a t-bone steak w/baked potato for b-fast! I know I do.

Think "outside the box" ...of cereal.
Lots of great ideas! Thanks! You'll laugh when I tell you that my husband eats a Banquet TV dinner every morning for breakfast!!! Not quite a steak & potato, but it's the "manly" thing to do, I guess!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I'm not a morning person either, but I was always a freak for muesli. What I do now is the night before, run raw old fashioned oats and whatever nuts I have on hand through a nut chopper [I have a little hand crank one], then put it in a large glass, cover with plenty of milk, and let it soak overnight in the fridge. The next morning one can add berries - fresh or frozen - or whatever else. Actually, my 'glass' is either a large travelling mug, or one of those insulated tall things that are also great for iced tea. Since it does tend to settle, anything with a tight top is best, that way it can be swished around to mix it between slurps.
So is it kind of like a thick smoothie after you get the oats & nuts all chopped up? Having soaked in the milk all night I imagine they are pretty "smooth" by morning Sounds good, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes