U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 08:22 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,094,569 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me with a good green chili and/or mole sauce recipe? The kind of green chili recipe I used to have was for a thicker type sauce that was more of a beige slightly orange color than clear like you sometimes see. No chicken ingredients please. The best green chili I ever had was at a restaurant in Greeley, Colorado called Casa Verde but they went out of business a long time ago. I dream of finding their recipe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 11:23 AM

8,092 posts, read 13,980,998 times
Both of these are TNT.

Chili Verde
Recipe By : Nat. Pork Producers Council
Serving Size : 8
2 pounds boneless pork butt (shoulder) - cubed & dusted with flour seasoned with black pepper
2 tablespoons bacon drippings, or oil
3 cups chopped onion
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 tablespoon oregano
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt - or less **
24 ounces green chiles - diced (can used canned, drain first)
5 cups chicken broth - up to 5-1/2 cups
1 teaspoon Tabasco (hot pepper sauce) - more or less to taste

** If I use home-made broth, I add salt. If I use canned broth, I don't add salt
Heat fat in Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add pork cubes and brown evenly on all sides.
Add onions and garlic to pan; cook and stir until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients and bring all to a boil. (Note - can put it in a crock pot at this point, but it usually doesn't thicken up)
If you don't put it in a crock pot - lower heat to a simmer, cover and simmer until pork is very tender and liquid is slightly thickened. Serve immediately. Or pour it all into a crock pot and serve at parties.

Yield: 3 pints
3 ounces garlic cloves - chopped
2 pounds onions - chopped
2 1/2 pounds poblano peppers ** (not dried) - chopped
2 ounces olive oil
2 tablespoons silver tequila (can use gold, it's a taste thing with me)
4 ounces chocolate syrup
2 ounces cocoa powder (not the sugary drink kind)
3 tablespoons five-spice powder

**Can use Anaheim peppers if you can't find Poblano.
Sweat the garlic, onions and poblanos in the oil until tender.
Add the tequila and cook for 1 minute.
Add the chocolate syrup and cocoa and mix well.
Add the five-spice powder and remove from the heat.
Puree in a food processor or blender until very smooth, thinning with a little chicken broth or water if necessary.
For parties, add already cooked chunks of chicken or pork to your crock pot. Pour molé over it. Set on buffet table :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes