U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 896,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
How did that come out? I didnt try your recipe as of yet but I will!!
Marye,

The chicken parisienne came out great, and it was easy. I will do that one again. I've been doing a chicken or beef dish every week in the crockpot, but now I'm ready for something different. I think I'll move on to some Mexican stuff.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:17 AM

1,649 posts, read 4,697,077 times
Default Low Carb/Sugar Slow Cooker Recipes

Does anyone have some tried and true slow cooker recipes that are low carb/sugar?

I tried to doing a CityData search, but I didn't find any connections to previous discussions about this type of slow cookin' here.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 AM

3,367 posts, read 10,523,174 times
Default Sprouted Grain Bread cooked in a Crock-Pot!

Saw this recipe and thought it looks amazing - it's super-healthy, made from ONE single ingredient, and cooked in a crockpot.

Has anyone tried making it - and would it be worth me buying a crockpot (thinking Craigslist!) just to make this?

I spend nearly $4 a loaf buying the Alvarado St brand here in TX.

Sprouted Grain Bread Recipe For Your Crock-Pot

PS any other crockpot bread ideas welcome!

Last edited by southdown; 09-09-2008 at 09:43 AM..

Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 AM

142 posts, read 535,121 times
Talking Crockpot Recipes!

Hello all! I am fairly new to this board, and I'm so glad I found it! I love to cook and this is my first time peeking into this recipe forum, and I didn't see anything on crockpot recipes. Now that the cooler weather is settling in, I love to take my crockpot out and make some dishes. What's not to love about the crockpot? Not only does it serve a nice comfort dish, but for me it also saves on time with our kids' busy schedules.

Please post all your tried and true (and delish) crock pot recipes here! I will start by posting just a couple of mine, and when I see that this thread becomes more active with interested parties, then I will add more and more. I have gotten TONS of compliments on my crockpot recipes....they really are delish!

So come on....let's share our crockpot recipes!!!

Here's just a couple to start off with:

Let's start with a super popular one. Lots of people have made this when I gave them the recipe and love it, along w/ anyone I've ever made it for.

Swiss Chicken Casserole

(A dish that EVERYONE loves!!!!)

-6 chicken breasts - boneless & skinless
-6 slices swiss cheese
-1 can (10 3/4) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
-1/4 cup milk
-2 cups herb stuffing mix
-1/2 cup of marg. or butter, melted

Spray crockpot with cooking spray (very important!! or I have used those crock pot liners). Arrange chicken breasts in crockpot. Top each breast with cheese, layering cheese if necessary. Combine soup & milk; stir well. Spoon over cheese; sprinkle with stuffing mix. Drizzle melted butter over stuffing mix. Cook on low 8-10 hrs. or on HIGH 4-6 hrs.

** The very first time I ever made this, I cooked it on high. I winded up turning it to low after about 3 hrs. I always try to cook it on low, and I recommend the same for you.

This meal tastes so yummy. I make it with garlic mashed potatoes and a veggie. Tastes just like a T-giving feast!! Oh, and even if you DON"T like swiss cheese or cream of mushroom soup, it's fine! You don't even taste the flavor...but it makes everything so creamy!

Another good and delicious one...
Pork Chops & Potatoes in Mustard Sauce

-6 pork loin chops
-2 T cooking oil
-1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
-1/4 cup chicken broth
-1/4 cup Dijon mustard
-1/2 tsp dried thyme - crushed
-1/4 tsp garlic powder
-1/4 tsp black pepper
-4-6 medium potatoes - cut into thin slices
-1 onion - sliced

In skillet, brown the pork chops on both sides in hot oil; drain fat.

In any size CP, mix cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, mustard, thyme, garlic powder & pepper.

Add potatoes and onion, stirring to coat.

Place browned pork chops on top of potato mixture.

Cover and cook on low 8-10 hrs. or high 4-5 hrs.

Country-Crock Chicken Noodle Soup
This is delicious and I make this all the time as well.

- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp basile
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 3 TB dry parsley flakes
- 1 pkg. (10 oz) frozen peas (I personally like to use corn instead)
- 1 2 1/2 - 3 lbs. whole fryer (I use chicken parts...breasts, thighs, whatever)
- 4 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 cup noodles

Place all ingredients in CP, except noodles, in order listed. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hrs. or high 4-6 hrs. One hour before serving, remove chicken and cool slightly. Remove meat (and skin) from bones and return meat to CP. Add noodles. Turn to high. Cover and cook 1 hr.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 AM

232 posts, read 799,877 times
Hi Mamma

I have 3 crockpots and I have to say I really dislike cooking with them. (Your recipes sound YUMMY tho)

I remember when I was a kid seeing meals made in a crockpot and how they cooked all day long.

With my crockpots, the temperature on LOW is so hot the food is cooked in a couple hours.....part of why I have 3 of them. I kept thinking the heat sensor was out of whack and I would buy a new one.

Is there a specific brand you use? What temperature do you think low should be in a crock pot? Any ideas?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 AM

3,928 posts, read 10,877,119 times
Thanks for the recipes mammaof2girls! Following is a link to an older City Data thread with some more recipes --> //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...t-dinners.html

Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
Hi Mamma

I have 3 crockpots and I have to say I really dislike cooking with them. (Your recipes sound YUMMY tho)

I remember when I was a kid seeing meals made in a crockpot and how they cooked all day long.

With my crockpots, the temperature on LOW is so hot the food is cooked in a couple hours.....part of why I have 3 of them. I kept thinking the heat sensor was out of whack and I would buy a new one.

Is there a specific brand you use? What temperature do you think low should be in a crock pot? Any ideas?
Hi Vesper!!!

Actually I DO know what you're talking about. My "low" setting also seems to cook quicker as well. So all I do is this: when a recipe calls for "cook on low for 10-12 hours" , I will usually be ready to eat it in like 7/8 hours. So for me, I just take a look at what the recipe time calls for, then just shed off some hours (it depends what's in there, if it's "wet" like cooked in alot of liquid, etc.)

So for example....my first recipe (swiss chicken casserole....you gotta try that though!!), it says to cook on low for 8-10 hours. I don't think I have honestly cooked anything for TEN hours! That would mean I would have to turn it on at 8 am!!! I would probably cook that one anywhere from 6-8 hours. But certain dishes cook more better longer than other dishes. Again, it all depends on what's in there and if it's covered in a sauce or liquid, etc.

I hope this helps, and try that method by just adjusting your own cooking time to a shorter cooking length. And if you work and have one of those self timer ones, you can set it to start later then. Mine is just a simple Rival one. Just has an off, high, low and warm feature.

Oh, and if you think these recipes look good....I have SO MUCH MORE yummy ones! I even have one that uses FROZEN chicken cutlets only!!!

Anyone else interesting in crock pot cooking and want to share any recipes??

Old 09-23-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Thanks for the recipes mammaof2girls! Following is a link to an older City Data thread with some more recipes --> //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...t-dinners.html
Ah, thank you! I will certainly check that out!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:03 AM

14,321 posts, read 24,034,208 times
Another reason to try and find an older, vintage crock pot. I have an older one and it has not burned or overcooked ever - and I have left a roast in there for over 12 hours once and the meat was tender and juicy.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:42 PM

431 posts, read 1,129,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
I was talking once with an old lady and she gave me this advice about crock pot. If the heat is intense even on low, try freezing the content of your recipe, add to the pot just before you leave this will slow the cooking about 2 to 4 hours time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes