U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 06:01 PM

13,768 posts, read 35,416,320 times

Advertisements

Black Bean Chili

2lbs smoked sausage cut into 1" pieces
3 15oz cans black beans drained
1 1/2c choped onions
1 1/2c chopped green pepper
1 1/2c chopped celery
4 cloves garlic chopped
2 t leaf thyme
1 1/2 t leaf oregano
1 1/2t white pepper
1/4t black pepper
1/4t cayenne pepper
1 chicken bouillon cube
5 bay leaves
8 oz tomato sauce
1 c. water

Brown sausage in skillet over med heat. Drain fat and transfer to Crock pot. Combine remaining ingredients in crock pot Cover and cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.
Remove bay leaves. Serve over rice
serves 6-8

I love this recipe.. but I usually use celery powder rather than celery since I never seem to have that on hand.

I have also added brown hamburger to it if I didn't have 2 lbs of sausage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:38 AM

142 posts, read 528,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Black Bean Chili

2lbs smoked sausage cut into 1" pieces
3 15oz cans black beans drained
1 1/2c choped onions
1 1/2c chopped green pepper
1 1/2c chopped celery
4 cloves garlic chopped
2 t leaf thyme
1 1/2 t leaf oregano
1 1/2t white pepper
1/4t black pepper
1/4t cayenne pepper
1 chicken bouillon cube
5 bay leaves
8 oz tomato sauce
1 c. water

Brown sausage in skillet over med heat. Drain fat and transfer to Crock pot. Combine remaining ingredients in crock pot Cover and cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.
Remove bay leaves. Serve over rice
serves 6-8

I love this recipe.. but I usually use celery powder rather than celery since I never seem to have that on hand.

I have also added brown hamburger to it if I didn't have 2 lbs of sausage.
Keeper, thanks for that CP recipe! That really sounds YUM! I make something like that, but over the stove. Would LOVE to make this in the CP. Thanks for that one!

Come on everyone...the cooler air is here! Let's whip out our CPs and get some more recipes going!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:29 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,947,817 times
Chili
2.5 pounds ground meat - virtually any meat will work. I have used everything from hamburger to rabbit.
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons cumin
2 Tablespoons paprika
1 Tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
2 cans tomato paste
2 cans diced tomatoes

Cook meat in the crock pot. When the meat is cooked, drain the grease and add everything else. Let cook on low for 20 minutes, then stir and let cook on low for 3 hours. Serve on a hot dog, over rice or pasta, on garlic bread or plain. Freezes well and cans well. It will clear your sinuses really fast when you are feeling stuffy.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:06 PM

79 posts, read 298,576 times
I love using my crockpot and I usually cook with it atleast once a week. Here are a few quick and easy recipes for fast days. I have LOTS of recipes though and will post more later.

Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast & your favorite jar of salsa. Use 2 jars if you want more I usually do. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours and you can shred your chicken breast and make tacos or burritos. If you like it creamy add in cream cheese with the salsa and let it cook then shred. My kids love chicken taco nights.

Here is another one:
Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast
can of cream of chicken soup & can of cream of mushroom soup
put into a bowl together with some milk (I eyeball the milk) then add seasoning salt & black pepper a couple of dashes of soy sauce stir together pour into crockpot over chicken breast. Low 8-10 hours until chicken is tender. I serve with rice and spoon the chicken and cooked soup mix over chicken rice a roni.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:45 PM

33 posts, read 94,749 times
-- Quail & Barley Chow-chow:

-- pearl barley, quail and Monteray Jack cheese come together for lumpy thicker soup; a chowder./ Hearty, meaty, medium herbal seasonings.

-- 1 Spanish onion, sliced thin./
-- a small pat of unsalted butter./
-- 1 whole quail halved./
-- four slices a quarter inch think of Monteray Jack cheese, cubed./
-- 3 cups of pearl barley./
-- 3 tbsp. dry white wine./
-- 2 tbsp. Sweet marjoram./
-- 5 garlic cloves./
-- 3 1/2c or 2 1/2c morel mushrooms./
----------------------
Instructions:

-- separate small iron pan: Add two tsp. cracked green pepper on the onions and add one tbsp. regular water and a small pat of unsalted butter./

-- Saute medium pan and medium heat: The quail halves stirring with the extra virgin olive oil, fresh sprig of rosemary, dry white wine, five garlic cloves and Sweet marjoram until whiter and done enough and seasoned appearing./

-- Next add to the quail: A little chicken skin and pickings from a grocery store (a $.6.99 whole rotisserie roast chicken) combined with perfume of the Sweet marjoram be all the flavor conditioning you need to add./

-- chop the Morel mushrooms forming sticks./

-- Mix the pearl barley with the quail halves pieces picked from & pushed out of the carcass. Add the cheese cubes and morels. Add one tbsp. water atop the cheese./
Wait for this to become melted and creamier./ Add onions & mix evenly./

-- Add a few capers from a jar at the end./

-- serves four./

Serving suggestions:

-- serve with kale of any other mess of collard greens../
-- Safe to sweeten the greens with drizzle of honey./

-- Or serve a little over a bed of fettuccine or spaghetti squash on extra cold day../

-- A fruit salad mix of: cherry halves & apricot halves & frisse lettuce./

Old 09-26-2008, 06:52 PM

33 posts, read 94,749 times
Not exactly Crockpot but you can certainly use a fondue warmer to keep warm and almost similar to fondue. SI guess this turns out similar to those French onion soups but I tried this manner with since I like cheese and quail together. The barleys healthy and goes best with a white cheese. I added the mushrooms since has more appeal and gives more flair. I guess mines also for those watching their weight.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 PM

My DLH liked this dish.

I put a whole chicken in the crockpot with very little water. Cooked on low for 6-8 hours. Depending on my mood, I would put lemon pepper on it, other times I would use Mojo. It falls apart after it is cooked.

If you put skip the lemon pepper or mojo.. you can put noodles in the broth.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,470,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
My DLH liked this dish.

I put a whole chicken in the crockpot with very little water. Cooked on low for 6-8 hours. Depending on my mood, I would put lemon pepper on it, other times I would use Mojo. It falls apart after it is cooked.

If you put skip the lemon pepper or mojo.. you can put noodles in the broth.
How do you overcome the multitude of tiny bones? Every time I put in an entire chicken I am digging bones/cartilage out forever. Thanks

Old 09-27-2008, 10:29 AM

You are putting it in whole not cut up right?

I put very little water in the crockpot, just enough to cover the bottom about 1/4" and when I take it out I use a big spoon so I can get it out almost whole. Not sure what kind of crockpot you have but in mine I have to stand/lean it with the breast side down.

Hope this helps

Old 09-27-2008, 01:39 PM

142 posts, read 528,605 times
Oh, so good to see more people adding in their CP recipes! They sound great! I think you guys are ready for me to post some more CP recipes from my recipe journal!!..... here's another 2 for now!

SLOW COOKER POT ROAST - crockpot
  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 5 1/2 pounds pot roast
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a slow cooker, mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix and water. Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture.

2. Cook on High for 3-4 hours, or on Low for 8-9 hrs.

Notes:
**I have added potatoes, carrots, celery at times.
** Mashed potatoes are definitely a must for this dish, especially if potatoes are NOT added in with the roast. I usually make my garlic mashed potatoes with this.

This recipe gives you the opportunity to make your own BBQ sauce instead of using bottled. It comes out really good! Of course for ease, you can use bottled bbq sauce....but I prefer to make my own via this recipe.

CROCKPOT BARBECUED RIBS (or Pork Chops)

~ 6 or 8 porkchops, or cut up ribs to nearly fill slow cooker (the pkg. I had was a little over 3 lbs. of ribs)
~1/4 cup chopped onion
~1/2 cup chopped celery (I didn't have any)
~ 1 cup ketchup
~ 1/2 cup water
~ 1/4 cup lemon juice
~ 2 TB brown sugar
~ 2 TB Worcestershire sauce
~ 2 TB vinegar (I used red wine...I'm sure apple cider or any other type of vinegar would work just fine)
~ 1 TB mustard
~ 1/2 tsp salt
~ 1/4 tsp. pepper

I first like to cut off any big chunks of fat.

Then you boil (parboil)or roast ribs for about 30 min. -45 min. (I much prefer to parboil it) to eliminate some of the excess fat (Separate the ribs first then just throw them in a big pot of water. Have it boil for like 30 - 45 min. )

Put the ribs (or porkchops) in the CP.

Mix together sauce ingredients and pour over chops or ribs in CP. Cook for 8-10 hrs., until tender.

I loke to make this with fresh sweet corn on the cob and baked potatoes. It would have equally tasted good with mashed potatoes as well. YUM!

At the end I made sure to take a spoon or a baster and put some sauce from the bottom of the CP over the ribs....the saucier, the messier, the better! It's great because the sauce becomes very thick!

**For another idea, the sauce can be doubled and you can make pulled chicken or pulled pork sandwiches, served on buns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes