U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 07:17 PM

9,368 posts, read 23,873,150 times

Advertisements

I found her recipe and made a crock pot full. This is the easiest recipe and smells so good while it cooks all day long. I made a few changes, so I am not giving away her original recipe, but my family and neighbors loved it.

5 large onions- I used yellow and red- cut into various sizes from 1/4- 1/2 (chunks)
10 cups beef broth/stock- I used one container of stock, the rest broth
1/2 cup red wine
5T butter
2T flour
Salt - I used Kosher, but any will do, pepper
Toasted bread slices (french, sourdough, whole grain bagette- get sliced at store)
Sliced mozzarella or gruyere cheese

Saute onions in pan with butter for about 20 minutes
Add flour and cook 5 minutes more
Place in crock pot and add beef broth/stock. Cook all day in crock pot
Season to taste during last hour of cooking

While cooking, brush one side of bread with olive oil & a touch of garlic powder (not enough to over power the soup) and put in 300 degree oven, turning once, until well toasted and crunchy.

To serve-

Pour soup into bowls- I found onion soup bowls for a song at a thrift store- the rims of the bowls are just the right size for the cheese to drape across to top.

Let the soup cool to serving temp. Add toasted bread, top with slice of cheese and broil in oven until it begins to brown and get bubbly.

It's important to let the soup get to be serving temp before adding the toasted bread and cheese, otherwise, by the time the soup is cool enough to eat, the toast is soggy- or, like us, you can't wait and burn your mouth!

I chopped the left over bread up and made croutons while toasting the bread, which my kids ended up putting on top of the cheese before eating.

I didn't have any apple juice, but I think the red wine added a mellowness, as well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 07:54 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,349,672 times
Default slow cooker mac and cheese where u don't boil noodles....looking for recipe

...looking for a good mac and cheese recipe....thanks.....one for a slow cooker where u don't cook macroni

Old 06-12-2009, 08:18 PM

15,981 posts, read 29,755,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
...looking for a good mac and cheese recipe....thanks.....one for a slow cooker where u don't cook macroni
I don't have a tried and true but I found this one online: Recipes: Slow cooker mac and cheese - by Angela Pollock - Helium

Old 06-13-2009, 01:24 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,763,748 times
Not slow cooker, but take a pot, add the amount of noodles you want, then water an inch over that. Simmer on low until almost all the water is absorbed and the noodles are tender, then add a knob of butter, a splash of cream, and as much american cheese as you want. Add some different kinds to make it even more flavorful, but the american is what gives it the gooey-ness of mac and cheese. It surprisingly makes a really good stovetop mac and cheese.

I'm sure if you figured out what your preferences are using that method, you'd be able to do the same thing in a slow cooker just fine.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 AM

12,054 posts, read 21,713,645 times
I found this recipe in one of the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks, but you do have to prepare the macaroni.

2 cups prepared elbow macaroni
2 T oil
12 oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cup milk
3 cups pasteurized process cheese spread, shredded
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 T dried minced onion

Combine macaroni and oil; toss to coat. Pour ino a lightly greased slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat on low setting for 3 to 4 hurs, stirring occasionally. Serves 4 to 6.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:01 AM

11 posts, read 25,996 times
Default Crock-Pot

I have this great crock pot recipe that I kind of just through together. It's simple but really tastes amazing, and it costs nothing to throw together. I was wondering if anyone wanted to try it out and let me know what they thought? Maybe it'll be an idea for someone who's tired of the same old stuff

A Roast
Minced Garlic
Pepper
Vidalia (Sp?) Onions
Russet Potatoes
Paul Newman's Balsamic Vinegarette

I cut the Roast usually into quarters so it will be jucier when done. Put pepper and minced garlic all over it. Throw those in the bottom. Peel the onions and then cut them just in half. I usually use 3 onions, then put on top of the roast. Then peel the potatoes and cut them into about inch thick slices. put those mixed in with the onions. Throw pepper and minced garlic on onions/potatoes. Then take a whole bottle of the balsalmic vinegarette and make sure its covering the roast. Cook for 8 hours. It's unreal!

Old 06-26-2009, 02:10 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,635,527 times
I love balsamic vinegar so that recipe sounds like a must try for me! Thanks for posting it

Old 06-26-2009, 02:19 PM

727 posts, read 1,772,944 times
That sounds good......I usually just throw Ramen noodles,Slim Jims and Chili cheese fritos in and let cook for a day or three! j/k your recipe sounds great!!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:26 PM

7,499 posts, read 7,700,315 times
That sounds awesome! And so simple. I'll have to try it. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:21 PM

31 posts, read 71,600 times
is this what your looking for?

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
  • 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup cubed velveeta
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp onion powder or minced onion
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  1. Coat the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, add fresh and evaporated milks. Mix in uncooked macaroni and 2 cups shredded cheese, and 1 cup velveeta. stir in seasonings as well.
  3. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. If using a large crock pot time will be alot less more like 4 hours. Try not to stir or remove lid while cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes