Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:59 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,689 times

Advertisements

Tri-tip is great in the crock. Make BBQ beef sandwiches, tacos, burritos with the leftovers. You can't go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Hubby wanted me to mention one of the things that I make that he loves; especially during football games and it is a must make for the Super Bowl

Italian Beef in the slow cooker

any type of beef roast
1 jar of banana peppers (zesty or mild whichever you prefer)
1 small canister of grated parmesan cheese

brown beef in pan and put in slow cooker. Dump jar of peppers with juice and canister of parmesan in slow cooker. Cook until very tender. Use two forks to cross shred the beef in the slow cooker and allow it to mix and soak up the juices. Serve on Steak or Sausage Rolls with fresh provolone and mustard and/or horseradish sauce. So delicious!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 PM

543 posts, read 2,309,745 times
I use my crockpots like I would my oven. I even make my dressing for Thanksgiving and Christmas in mine to free up oven space.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,995 times
A good ol' fashion roast (my husband loves it when I make it because I don't serve red meat). Get a roast that will fit in your cp. Drop an onion, s & p, worstershire sauce. Eventually drop in some veggies - potatoes, carrots...

If you like mexican food you can make authentic chili verde - a mexican stew. That requires a pork roast. You can get a recipe on foodtv.com. A little time consuming but oh-so-worth it.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
My favorite things to cook in a crock pot are so simple.

Beef roast, add roast, season with pepper and Adolphs Meat Tenderizer, whole baby carrots and potatoes.

Corned beef, add corn beef, carrots, potatoes and cabbage.

Whole chicken, I take a whole chicken and put Shake and Bake for chicken in a lerger plastic bag and coat it and cook it, wonderful!

Old 08-24-2007, 02:35 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
My favorite thing to do with my slow cooker (I have 3 different sizes) is to cook a roast all day. Shread it. Let it cool and the bag it up in 1 lb bags and put it in the freezer.

Then when I want to make Bar-b-ques, tacos, etc I use the shreaded beef instead of hamburger. Always figured it was healthier. Don't know if it is though. haha But take the shreaded meat, add your taco seasoning and cook it as per the package. I make my own taco seasoning with individual ingredients.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Chop an onion, place it in the bottom of the pot. Add as many boneless pork chops as you like. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pork chops with beer (the amount will vary depending on how many chops you cook; if you're lucky, there will be some left over for a little taste -- unless it's 8 a.m. then just add all the beer!, unless you've been up all night already ... LOL) and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:49 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
South Carolina Catfish Stew:

1. Layer the bottom of the crock pot with bacon
2. Dice up potatoes, add to pot
3. Add 1 can diced tomatoes to pot
4. Cut 2lbs of catfish into squares, add to pot
5. Dice up onions and carrots, add to pot
6. Add 1 can stewed tomatoes to pot
7. Add cayenne pepper to taste

Add ingredients in layers, and do not stir. Cook for several hours and serve over white rice.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:57 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
South Carolina Catfish Stew:

1. Layer the bottom of the crock pot with bacon
2. Dice up potatoes, add to pot
3. Add 1 can diced tomatoes to pot
4. Cut 2lbs of catfish into squares, add to pot
5. Dice up onions and carrots, add to pot
6. Add 1 can stewed tomatoes to pot
7. Add cayenne pepper to taste

Add ingredients in layers, and do not stir. Cook for several hours and serve over white rice.

mmmmmmm - This recipe is a great excuse for me to eat bacon... sounds really good...

Old 08-24-2007, 06:41 PM

417 posts, read 1,281,830 times
Life is short, eat dessert first!!

Love this recipe, and I have used other canned pie fillings with the same great results:

CHERRY CRISP

21 oz cherry pie filling
1/2 cup quick oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon granulated (white) sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened

Spray the crock pot with Pam. Pour cherry pie filling into crock pot. Combine oats, flour, sugars, and cut in butter to make a crumb mixture. Sprinkle crumb mixture over top of cherry pie filling. Cook on low for 5 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes