Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:06 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Thanks and thanks also for the tip on fresh

yes I agree great recipes BUT how long do you crock for??
I find it depends on the crockpot. I have two and one cooks faster than the other. Also depends on whether you're cooking on high or low. Most roasts need 6-8 hours on low, depending on your crockpot and the size of the roast.
Chicken breasts will cook in 3-4 hours, whole chicken in 6 hours, turkey breasts in 4-5 hours. Most newer crockpots cook at a higher temperature.
These are times for my newer crockpot. Older crocks may take longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 09:07 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I usually crock for as long as it takes for the meat to be falling apart, or use the nose test (this can be done once you've been crocking for a while). Basically, there comes a point, after about 4 hours with the high setting, and about 8 hours with the low, when the smell of the food is so good you just can't wait to eat anymore - and that's when it's done!
So true!!! LOL There's nothing better than coming home to a great smelling house and knowing dinner is almost done!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 PM

58 posts, read 295,602 times
Thanks everyone
I never got into the habit of the slow cooker butthe beans sound great
I love a good bean on ricein the winter, with cornbread of course

Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
I find it depends on the crockpot. I have two and one cooks faster than the other. Also depends on whether you're cooking on high or low. Most roasts need 6-8 hours on low, depending on your crockpot and the size of the roast.
Chicken breasts will cook in 3-4 hours, whole chicken in 6 hours, turkey breasts in 4-5 hours. Most newer crockpots cook at a higher temperature.
These are times for my newer crockpot. Older crocks may take longer.

Thanks..I work so I'm gone for about 10 hours and the thought of the main part of dinner already done is great
I wonder if they sell crock pots that have a timer you can set to shut off automatically after so many hours??
Will have to look

Old 08-31-2007, 12:51 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
I use it to make applesauce, ribs and Yankee pot roast (so far).

Old 08-31-2007, 03:52 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Any type of beef roast?? what do you usually use...chuck, eye round???
This will be on the Football Menu for sure
Usually I use a chuck or rump roast. The eye of round is just so lean; we usually like the flavor of a more marbled cut of beef.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:52 PM

187 posts, read 613,842 times
I also have a small cp. For a quick app. I put in Some mexican velveeta, diced green chilis, and a can of rotel tomatoes and peppers. great quick dip with chips and guacamole.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:43 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,306,510 times
Quote:
Thanks..I work so I'm gone for about 10 hours and the thought of the main part of dinner already done is great
I wonder if they sell crock pots that have a timer you can set to shut off automatically after so many hours??
Will have to look
Yes, they do. There are many different models with digital timers that automatically switch to warm after the number of hours you specify.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:19 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Okay, I just want to report back on this recipe. I made it and we had the hoagies. They were very good- but it made A LOT! So I bagged the leftovers in two bags and froze it. Tonight I made enchiladas with it and they were the best I've ever had and my son agreed.

To make the enchiladas- I used the large flour tortilas.
Spread Mexican beans over each*, add the meat, cheese- I used blanco, can use any kind-, I added some diced jalapenos from a jar- rolled them up and placed them in a pan, covered with enchilada sauce- I use canned- more cheese on top and baked for about 20 minutes.

I put them on a bed of lettuce, with fresh avocado on the sides, a dice of tomatoes, onions & fresh cilantro and salsa on top.

I am going to try making chili with the other bag that is in my freezer.

* I made Mexican beans- I winged it with a bag of pinto beans (soak over night in water). But those canned Mexican beans that are a pureed would work fine. I just like to make my own because they are so easy, inexpensive and I always have some to freeze for later.

Boil the beans, covered, in water until they get a little soft, then set to a low boil and add beef stock as needed to keep enough liquid in to continue cooking. While cooking, add:
garlic powder
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper.
I threw in some liquid from a jar of jalapenos and squeezed in the liquid from the frozen meat, too.
Cook the heck out of them til tender and then stick them in a blender and puree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Hubby wanted me to mention one of the things that I make that he loves; especially during football games and it is a must make for the Super Bowl

Italian Beef in the slow cooker

any type of beef roast
1 jar of banana peppers (zesty or mild whichever you prefer)
1 small canister of grated parmesan cheese

brown beef in pan and put in slow cooker. Dump jar of peppers with juice and canister of parmesan in slow cooker. Cook until very tender. Use two forks to cross shred the beef in the slow cooker and allow it to mix and soak up the juices. Serve on Steak or Sausage Rolls with fresh provolone and mustard and/or horseradish sauce. So delicious!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:13 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,397,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
Does anyone cook meals in a crock pot? I bought a crock pot awhile back because I love the concept but I only use it to make beef stew and chilli. Im sure there are lots of other things that can be made with it. I would think soups would be a great idea? Does anyone have any crock pot ideas or recipies?
Doesn't everyone own a crockpot that they don't use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes