U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Pocono Mts.
9,482 posts, read 11,319,085 times
Reputation: 11441

Advertisements

Mine isn't exactly home made, but it's really good. McCormik brand seasonings has a crock pot packet for making your own pulled pork b-bq. It tastes like authentic southern pork bbq. All you have to add is pork shoulder roast. I serve it on really soft rolls and with my take on cole slaw (very thinly sliced cabbage w/ grated carrot mixed with pepper and italian dressing)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2008, 09:05 PM
 
Location: East Tennessee
3,928 posts, read 10,723,145 times
Reputation: 5241
Default Memphis Style Pulled Pork

Poconoproud, your's sounds much easier and just as good. Below is one of our family favorites that I had previously posted in the What's For Dinner Tonight thread:

Memphis Style Pulled Pork
1 medium onion
6 fresh garlic cloves
2 (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium beef broth
1 (18-ounce) bottle BBQ sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 boneless Boston Butt pork roast (about 3 1/2 pound)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
6 bakery french (or regular) hamburger rolls

Peel onion, slice thickly and place in slow cooker with garlic cloves. Stir in broth, BBQ sauce, sugar, vinegar, and pepper; add pot roast. Cover and cook on high 6-8 hours or low 10-12 hours or until pork is fork tender.

Remove pork from slow cooker.

Shred pork using two forks. Split hamburger rolls, if needed.

Serve pork on sandwich rolls and top with additional bottled BBQ sauce. Serve with Old-Fashioned Cole Slaw.

Old-Fashioned Cole Slaw
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (16-oz) bag shredded cole slaw mix

Whisk in medium bowl, vinegar, sugar, and celery seed. Add mayonnaise, salt, and pepper; whisk until smooth.

Stir in cole slaw mix until evenly coated. Chill until ready to serve.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2008, 09:05 AM
 
Location: City of the damned, Wash
428 posts, read 2,321,495 times
Reputation: 260
Hawaiian Chicken

6-8 chicken thighs
1 can pineapple w/juice
1 cup teriyaki sauce
lots of peeled sliced ginger
garlic cloves to taste

Dump all in pot. Cook till very steamy and all wonderful-smelling. Serve over rice w/more teriyaki sauce drizzled over.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2008, 01:13 PM
 
8,893 posts, read 4,253,777 times
Reputation: 5574
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Poconoproud, your's sounds much easier and just as good. Below is one of our family favorites that I had previously posted in the What's For Dinner Tonight thread:

Memphis Style Pulled Pork
1 medium onion
6 fresh garlic cloves
2 (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium beef broth
1 (18-ounce) bottle BBQ sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 boneless Boston Butt pork roast (about 3 1/2 pound)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
6 bakery french (or regular) hamburger rolls

Peel onion, slice thickly and place in slow cooker with garlic cloves. Stir in broth, BBQ sauce, sugar, vinegar, and pepper; add pot roast. Cover and cook on high 6-8 hours or low 10-12 hours or until pork is fork tender.

Remove pork from slow cooker.

Shred pork using two forks. Split hamburger rolls, if needed.

Serve pork on sandwich rolls and top with additional bottled BBQ sauce. Serve with Old-Fashioned Cole Slaw.

Old-Fashioned Cole Slaw
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (16-oz) bag shredded cole slaw mix

Whisk in medium bowl, vinegar, sugar, and celery seed. Add mayonnaise, salt, and pepper; whisk until smooth.

Stir in cole slaw mix until evenly coated. Chill until ready to serve.
Okay, do I add in the cornstarch and water at the same time with everything else?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2008, 01:54 PM
 
1,270 posts, read 3,873,191 times
Reputation: 775
I did, Denise. Hope this is right! We'll see when 6 o'clock rolls around and we're ready to eat. It sure smells good!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2008, 02:36 PM
 
8,893 posts, read 4,253,777 times
Reputation: 5574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
I did, Denise. Hope this is right! We'll see when 6 o'clock rolls around and we're ready to eat. It sure smells good!
I ended up adding it in. I stared my today so I won't have to cook tomorrow. Let me know how it came out!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2008, 04:00 PM
 
Location: East Tennessee
3,928 posts, read 10,723,145 times
Reputation: 5241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
Okay, do I add in the cornstarch and water at the same time with everything else?
Denise, Sorry! You can do it either way to thicken the broth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2008, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Looking East and hoping!
28,227 posts, read 20,293,670 times
Reputation: 2000000942
Easy and good-take a rump roast or arm roast. Put in crockpot, add 1 bottle of beer, packet Lipton's onion soup mix, 3 or 4 cloves of garlic.

Beef will fall apart almost shredding. Hard rolls dipped in juices, fries you're set.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Everett, Wa
601 posts, read 1,797,422 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Easy and good-take a rump roast or arm roast. Put in crockpot, add 1 bottle of beer, packet Lipton's onion soup mix, 3 or 4 cloves of garlic.

Beef will fall apart almost shredding. Hard rolls dipped in juices, fries you're set.


thnx-- I will try this one...sounds good!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 PM
 
11 posts, read 18,437 times
Reputation: 27
Default Shredded Beef for Tacos

I love using my crock pot to cook as well. It's so easy! This is a really good recipe and very adaptable to your specific tastes so I wanted to post it. Also, it lasts for a few days. When I last made it we had it with corn tortillas, cheese, sour cream and avocado slices the first night. The second night we used it to make nachos. Delicious!

1 (4 pound) frozen rump roast - or chuck
1 cup white wine - or beer
2 (7.75 ounce) cans Mexican style hot tomato sauce
3 tablespoons crushed garlic
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Place the frozen roast in the slow cooker. Pour the wine and Mexican style hot tomato sauce over the top. Season with garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.

Cover, and cook on low for 9 hours. When done, the roast should shred easily with a fork. Shred the roast into the juices, and mix in the chopped green onions and cilantro. (Defrosted, cook about 5 hours)


*If you like full on flavor I would say follow the recipe exactly. I don't like too much full on flavor and I don't like things too spicy so I used regular tomato sauce one time and a jar of salsa another time. I also did not use onions, don't like 'em. I also did not store the meat back in with the juices, I kept them separate stored in the fridge. Like I said we ate it for a few days so I thought the meat might take on too strong a flavor sitting in the juice for those days. If you like all that flavor though, go for it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top