Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 02:16 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times

Advertisements

Dumb question-I bought my first crock pot and I'm trying a receipe that came with it. It says to fill the container till 3/4 full with water. Isn't that too much water?? I thought you were only supposed to put like 1/2 to 1 cup of liquid (water or whatever) in there? My chicken has been cooking on high for 2.5 hrs (have it on high for 3.5 hrs) and it doesn't seem to be really cooking-just drowning. Have I just totally ruined it and will have to order pizza now?? So sad

Sorry had to add that I was trying to make a festive dinner for bf whos swamped at work..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 03:17 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Dumb question-I bought my first crock pot and I'm trying a receipe that came with it. It says to fill the container till 3/4 full with water. Isn't that too much water?? I thought you were only supposed to put like 1/2 to 1 cup of liquid (water or whatever) in there? My chicken has been cooking on high for 2.5 hrs (have it on high for 3.5 hrs) and it doesn't seem to be really cooking-just drowning. Have I just totally ruined it and will have to order pizza now?? So sad

Sorry had to add that I was trying to make a festive dinner for bf whos swamped at work..
I have never heard of adding that much water to a slow cooker recipe. You can post the entire recipe on here and we can see if we can help. Without knowing what else was in with the chicken and water, and assuming that it is chicken breasts and not the whole chicken: If I were you I would fish the chicken out of the water, sprinkle it with herbs and spices and bake it at 350 for an hour; or place in baking dish, wrap with bacon, smother in barbecue sauce and the melt a slice of cheese on top the last few minutes in the oven. This will at least save dinner for tonight.

If it is a whole chicken, get out a roaster pan (or a 9 x 13 will do), drain water from chicken , season chicken with your favorite spices, place butter pats just under chicken in several places, making sure that your chicken is breast side up you can lay bacon slices across the top (or not), bake at 375 for 15 minutes, then reduce temp to 350 and bake for about one hour 15 minutes. Remove bacon slices and serve.

Hope these help.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
bbq chicken or ribs oven bake 1st.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:20 PM

13 posts, read 37,127 times
Default Chicken & Olives

Received this recipe from a friend and also my first ever crock pot recipe. It is so simple!!

Chicken & Olives

2-3 lbs of bone-in chicken pieces (thighs work great)
salt & pepper
1 clove of garlic
1 large onion
15 oz tomato sauce
12 oz beer
2 bay leaves
1/2-1 cup green olives with juices (pimento or jalapeno stuffed)
1-2 tsp hot giardiniera (optional)

Rinse chicken & pat dry. Season w/ salt & pepper. Combine all ingredients except chicken in crock pot and stir well. Add chicken pieces coating well with sauce. Cover and cook on low about 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.

I usually take the chicken out about 1 hour before eating, take the skin off and then shred the chicken. Add it back to the pot to cook a while longer. Serve over egg noodles or rice.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:26 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
I got this from a list I'm on. I haven't used it yet, but will on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Chicken Stew with Pepper and Pineapple
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound boneless -- skinless chicken breasts, cut into
1 1/2-inch pieces
4 medium carrots -- cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons finely chopped gingerroot or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
1 can pineapple chunks in juice -- (8 ounces) drained and juice reserved
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 medium bell pepper -- cut into 1-inch pieces

Mix all ingredients except pineapple, cornstarch and bell pepper in 3
1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours (or high heat setting 3 to 4 hours) or until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink in center. Mix reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch until smooth; gradually stir into chicken mixture. Stir in pineapple and bell pepper. Cover and cook on high heat setting about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Makes 4 servings

Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Oh man.....we do thighs all the time in the crockpot. Just de-skin and trim the thighs. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Place in crockpot and cover with your favorite bbq sauce (or anything really). Cook on low until meat falls off the bone!! Serve with coleslaw and cornbread.
gota try this one. [Mod Cut]

Last edited by ontheroad; 05-04-2008 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Discussion of reputation is a ToS violation.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
The easiest crock pot recipe I ever found was for Sweet and Sour Pork

Throw in a pork roast, jar sweet and sour sauce, a can of pineapple chunks (including juice), a can of chicken broth, cut up red onion, cut up green pepper. Adjust the liquid portions and vegetables according to the size of your roast. (A 2lb roast may only need one jar of sauce, a 5 lb roast may need 2 - same thing with veggies) I put the rice in the rice cooker before I leave, measure out the water (minus a can of chicken broth) in covered tupperware container before I head out and when I get home, I put the liquid in the cooker and turn it on. 30 minutes later... Sweet and Sour Pork over white rice.

The original recipe called for the pork to be browned, but it's just as good without browning. I usually buy a 2-3 lb roast and set it for 6 hours on low. I turn up the crock pot to high when I throw the liquid in the rice cooker. My rice tends to really soak up the sauce, so I do 2 jars of s&s with a 3 lber, though I don't adjust anything else.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:31 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkelly View Post
I got this from a list I'm on. I haven't used it yet, but will on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Chicken Stew with Pepper and Pineapple
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound boneless -- skinless chicken breasts, cut into
1 1/2-inch pieces
4 medium carrots -- cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons finely chopped gingerroot or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
1 can pineapple chunks in juice -- (8 ounces) drained and juice reserved
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 medium bell pepper -- cut into 1-inch pieces

Mix all ingredients except pineapple, cornstarch and bell pepper in 3
1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours (or high heat setting 3 to 4 hours) or until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink in center. Mix reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch until smooth; gradually stir into chicken mixture. Stir in pineapple and bell pepper. Cover and cook on high heat setting about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Makes 4 servings
That sounds really good. I'll have to try this soon over rice, maybe with some frozen egg rolls.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:37 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,618,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
Sure, marye711! Let me know your thoughts, and if you try any variations. Next week I will be trying a Chicken Parisienne recipe I found. I will post it even though I haven't tried it, b/c it looks easy and tasty (the onyl 2 criteria for a crock pot!)

-6 skinless, boneless breast halves
-salt & pepper
-paprika to taste
-1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can cream mushroom soup
- 1 4.5 oz can mushrooms, drained
-1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- rice or noodles

Sprinkle chicken with flour, S & P, paprika. Put in crockpot. In bowl, mix wine, soup and mushrooms. In 2nd bowl, mix sour cream & flour. Stir sour cream mix into mushrooms & wine mix. Pour the whole thing over the chicken & add more paprika (to taste). Cook on low 6-8 hours.
How did that come out? I didnt try your recipe as of yet but I will!!

Old 05-11-2008, 04:30 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I thought it would be interesting to share some of our crock pot dinner ideas. Lets be creative and see what we can come up with, other than beef stews and stroganoff ideas..I have a great chicken cacciatorre recipe that I will post.. I love my Pot, but don't have many ideas, they seem so boring!!.. Whats better than throwing it all together, and enjoying a cocktail while dinner prepares itself! Please share..
sausage links (Lil' Smokies) Heinz chili sauce, jellied cranberry sauce. Mix all ingredients in pot, set on low all day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes