U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 AM

228 posts, read 435,907 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Virginia between 1994 and 1997, a neighbor use to toss together sweet peas and corn and a few other items with mayo and chill it a few hours before dinner. I have searched and searched different recipe sites, and have come up empty handed. Now, I wish I would have paid attention! I know it was only a few items tossed together with mayo....but I was wanting to make sure I was correct. I want to say it was corn, peas, (maybe) tomatoes and mayo...but I don't remember if she put anything else in the bowl.

Any one happen to know what I am talking about? If so, thanks for any replies!

Have a Great Sunday Night and Monday!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:35 AM

4,166 posts, read 14,192,450 times
Not familiar w/ that but we went to a picnic once and one of the men (someone's neighbor) made a recipe w/ corn, peas (I think or maybe string beans) and beets - not in mayo though but in some other dressing (italian, vinegarette - ?) - it prob. had onions in it too - it was so good and colorful. I have a feeling it was one of those recipes done from memory though, one of these days I'll play around w/ it. I rem. seeing a recipe for some kind of pea salad in mayo (or yogurt) recently but it was in a dr's office - will see if I can pull anything up and will post later if it sounds familiar.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 AM

4,538 posts, read 8,476,958 times
I have no recipes, but am very familiar with pea salads like you describe. I used to travel for work, and frequently to the South where buffets are popular. And there one would find that delicious pea salad.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,868,193 times
My mum used to do a corn/pea/fresh tomato/small chunks of cheddar salad with mayo.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:39 AM

7,525 posts, read 15,546,608 times
Using peas, corn, blackeyed peas, lima beans, black beans, garbanzos, diced beets, etc ........in fact you can use just about any canned vegetable to make a cold salad. Whatever is on hand is good. I always add a couple of things....first I use real mayo (not the "salad dressing" like Miracle whip....but that is a matter of taste). sliced hard boiled eggs can go in it. I always like to add salad olives, red onions, and pimentos. Fresh veggies (diced celery, jicama, squash, tomatos, etc) can go in as well. For a Mexican style dinner add some cilantro and mix some cumin in the mayo. For a more northern or german style, add some dill to the mayo. for interest and variety add some curry powder to the mayo. diced cheese or diced ham can contribute to it, and it can make a really good meal on its own. Instead of Mayo use other salad dressings...Italian, Green Goddess, Ranch, oil and vinegar, balsamic......all can make the dish different and good.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:29 PM

14,785 posts, read 20,926,206 times
PEA SALAD
2 (17 oz.) can green peas
1 lg. jar diced pimentos
2 c. grated carrots
2 c. grated cheese
1/2 c. green onions, chopped
1 sm. bell pepper, chopped
3 tbsp. salad dressing
4 tbsp. sweet pickle relish
2 tsp. mustard
3 hard-boiled eggs, chop 2 and save one to garnish top

Drain peas; put all ingredients in a large bowl in order that they are listed. Stir well. Slice one egg and place on top of salad. Sprinkle a little paprika on for a beautiful salad. Chill before serving.

This is the recipe that my mother used and I hope it works and hope this is what you are looking for . let me know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes