Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:48 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer: I am a vegetarian, but not one of those obnoxious, judgmental, more-moral-than-thou types that are familiar to all. Not trying to start a controversy here

I don't understand many meat eaters' abhorrence eating "snouts" or "hearts" etc, but loving to eat a leg or a rib of an animal. What is the difference?

A second question, in another thread there is a discussion of meat eaters' abhorrence of eating horse flesh, yet would enjoy eating a pig or cow or chicken. Can anyone explain?

Thanks for your patience with me. I am just a very curious fellow and interested in we people

BTW, I grew up eating scrapple and loved it - a favorite breakfast food. Scrapple and scrambled eggs on a plate or sandwich. Scrapple fried thin and crispy or thick, browned and soft inside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:32 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Disclaimer: I am a vegetarian, but not one of those obnoxious, judgmental, more-moral-than-thou types that are familiar to all. Not trying to start a controversy here

I don't understand many meat eaters' abhorrence eating "snouts" or "hearts" etc, but loving to eat a leg or a rib of an animal. What is the difference?
Idk, I'll try anything and if it tastes good, I'm going to eat it. I'm sure there is some nasty stuff in hot dogs, but I eat those! LOL.

I don't like organ meats, usually, so I wouldn't want to eat heart.

When I heard about hooves being in jello that grossed me out cuz all I could think of was cleaning my horses hooves and all the crap that gets on them. I'm pretty much over that now tho

There was an article in the WSJ last week that talked about eating dogs instead of killing all the strays and not using the meat when people are starving. It was pretty interesting. Even had a recipe. Sounded like sweet and sour pork

Old 11-09-2009, 01:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post

When I heard about hooves being in jello that grossed me out...
Yet another urban myth. Gelatin comes from skin and bones.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:06 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
My Dad used to make it all the time when I was little. I loved it.

...........I found out what it was made of...............

I don't love it anymore...

Old 11-12-2009, 10:21 AM

153 posts, read 238,334 times
As a kid, I was forced to choke down a plate of it almost every morning in the winter months, because it would "stick to my ribs". My grandmother did most of the cooking, and she had a depression era attitude about food. Lord, how I hated scrappel. Sometimes we'd have it for supper, too, because it was cheap.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:23 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,729,620 times
I like Scrapple! Fry it up, get it crispy, and have it with some eggs and toast... oh yeah!!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:20 PM

242 posts, read 533,915 times
mmm RAPPA scrapple! i LOVE it! sliced thin & fried.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:22 AM

133 posts, read 281,010 times
Default Re: Scrapple

Would someone post a recipe for "northern" scrapple?

Growing up we got a dish called scrapple that was made by cooking neck bones or other pork bones in water with onions, then picking the meat off, chopping it and adding cornmeal and sage. This doesn't sound at all like the descriptions here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes