U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 12:11 PM

3,169 posts, read 4,606,767 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find a good chow chow recipe, much like the kind my grandma used to make back in Mississippi. I know, I should be shot for not paying good enough attention back then or at least trying to get the recipe from her.

Most every recipe I've looked up has cabbage in it as well as some other ingredients like tumeric, lol. I am certain her recipe didn't contain cabbage just as I am sure she never bought tumeric in her life. Her recipe contained tomato, peppers, onion, and I think okra.

Does anyone have a good recipe?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 PM

8,092 posts, read 14,002,598 times
I don't even know what chow chow is!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:48 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,905,548 times
chow chow is green tomato relish and I have a great one that came out of the mountains of Tennessee somewhere but it has cabbage in it.. I'd have to dig and dig to find it so lets wait and see if anyone has one like you asked for.

Question, where will you get the green tomatoes? I haven't made any in years because nobody will give up their green tomatoes. They'll let them rot on the vine ripe but not let you have any green ones for relish or frying. I LOVE that stuff..

Grandma use to make it when we were kids and I searched for years for one that tasted like Grandma's, tried many they just were not what I wanted until I met a woman from Tennessee who had her mothers recipe and gave it to me.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 AM

3,169 posts, read 4,606,767 times
We (2 of my sisters and I) figured out something yesterday. What we had growing up is called tomato relish. It's a lot like chow chow but my grandma used both terminology to describe this relish. Authenic chow chow does come with cabbage in it! It's funny how most people use the terms interchangeably.

Laura, you can make it with ripe red tomatoes, too. We had it with both but the majority of it was made with red tomatoes. I'm going to try my hand at making it tomorrow.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:47 PM

31 posts, read 70,559 times
I found this recipe from Paula Deen (dont know if this helps you, but it sounds good)

tomatoes and okara

1 tablespoon peanut oil, for frying
1/4 pound bacon, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
4 cups diced tomatoes, peeled and cored
1 cup water
1 tablespoon chicken base
4 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Serving suggestion: steamed white rice
Directions
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add bacon, butter, onion, green pepper and garlic. Saute until the vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent. Add seasoned salt, garlic powder, tomatoes, water, chicken base and okra. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,342 times
Default Looking for the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I'm trying to find a good chow chow recipe, much like the kind my grandma used to make back in Mississippi. I know, I should be shot for not paying good enough attention back then or at least trying to get the recipe from her.

Most every recipe I've looked up has cabbage in it as well as some other ingredients like tumeric, lol. I am certain her recipe didn't contain cabbage just as I am sure she never bought tumeric in her life. Her recipe contained tomato, peppers, onion, and I think okra.

Does anyone have a good recipe?
I am looking for the same thing. My granny was from Mississippi as well and made one similar to what you described. Have you had any luck with finding that recipe? If so, I'd love to get it from you. Thanks, Chris

Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,526,638 times
I was fascinated by the cabbage comments as I have never had chow chow with cabbage in it - is that an American thing perhaps or just that in my neck of the woods in Canada they don't put cabbage in chow chow?

In any event, here's a Canadian recipe I am going to try today.
Green Tomato Chow Pickles « Cooking With Candra

and she even does a step by step video (in case anyone here hasn't canned before!)
Homemade Green Tomato Chow - Part 1 - YouTube

Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,526,638 times
Okay I had to post an update on the link I posted yesterday - I made this recipe and it is to die for ladies and gents!!! SO GOOD! And that is just from a preliminary taste test of what's left over from canning. It says it is best to bottle it and then leave it for three months - but it is so good even at this point that it'll make your socks roll up and down!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes