Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:19 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,762 times

Advertisements

I forgot to post on the results. I personally don't like either pumpkin or pecan pie but made it for the rest of the family and it was a hit!! Based on their responses I will make it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeowo View Post
If you want to try something different I got this one from penzeys.com It's obviously not the traditional pumpkin or pecan pie but I'm planning on trying it this year...

Pumpkin-Pecan Pie

No holiday meal is complete without pie, and this recipe from Bill makes two beautiful, delicious pies that will delight pecan pie lovers AND pumpkin pie lovers.

Pie Crust
11/2 sticks butter, room temperature (3/4 cup)
11/2 Cups flour
1 TB. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3-5 TB. milk
Pumpkin Layer
1 16 oz. can pumpkin (not pie filling)
3/4 Cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. PENZEYS CINNAMON
1/2 tsp. GROUND ALLSPICE
1/2 tsp. PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
2 large eggs
Pecan Layer
1 Cup white corn syrup
1 Cup dark brown sugar
1/3 Cup melted butter
1 tsp. PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 Cups chopped pecans

Crust: Using a fork or your fingers, mix the butter with the flour, sugar and salt until it looks likes peas and crumbles. Drizzle the milk in bit by bit, using the fork or a spoon to blend the crust until it just sticks together. Divide the dough in half and pat into discs. Cover in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes before rolling out. On a well-floured surface, roll the discs from the center to the outer edges with a well-floured rolling pin. Add more flour if needed. Roll until the circles are larger than your pie pans. Gently ease the crusts into the pans.

Pumpkin Layer: Prepare the pumpkin layer while the crust dough is chilling. Preheat oven to 350°. In a mixing bowl, beat together the pumpkin, sugar, salt, CINNAMON, ALLSPICE and VANILLA until well mixed. Add the eggs and beat until combined. Divide the pumpkin mixture evenly between the two crust-lined pie plates. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Check the pies by jiggling them gently. You don’t want the pies to be completely set, you want them to still be slightly under-baked but not runny. Remove from the oven and let cool while you make the pecan layer.

Pecan Layer: In a mixing bowl, combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, butter and VANILLA. Mix well. Add the eggs and mix to combine. Fold in the pecans. Divide the pecan mixture between the two pies and return them to the 350° oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
Prep. time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 15 + 45 minutes = 60 minutes total
Serves: 16-24 (2 pies)

Nutritional Information: Servings 24;
Serving Size 1 slice (87g); Calories 280; Calories from fat 140; Total fat 16g; Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 180mg; Carbohydrate 33g; Dietary Fiber 2g.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Wow!!! Sounds amazing! Thank you!

Old 12-26-2010, 11:15 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Here is a very good sugar-free chocolate pecan pie I made. Turned out very well. Instead of sugar or corn syrup I use agave: both the regular syrup and a new product that is chocolate agave (I found it at the health food store; agave with cocoa mixed in).

You will need: 2 cups agave (one cup chocolate agave, one cup regular agave; if you don't have the chocolate agave, just use the regular);
3 ounces of Eggbeaters (or three real eggs);
1/3rd cup of butter (I used Smart Choice butter);
package of pecans (about 1 1/2 cups);
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract,
1/4th teaspoon salt,
and an uncooked pie crust.

First, roast the pecans in a dry skillet at medium heat for five minutes, then set aside.

Now, using another skillet or pan, heat up the agave and bring it to a gentle boil for 10 minutes (helps to get rid of some of the high water content of the agave). After ten minutes, pull it off the heat, let cool for a few minutes, and then mix in the other ingredients (except pecans).

Pour the lightly roasted pecans into your pie shell, then pour in the mixture (during baking the pecans will rise to the top), and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, at which time you will place a piece of aluminum foil or pie shield over the pie, and bake for yet another 30 minutes (total, 60 minutes). When you pull the pie out you will note that the filling is gently boiling. Let the pie cool, and it will firm up nicely.

The pie actually tasted better the next day (as is often the case). Anyway, a pretty darn good chocolate pecan pie, with no sugar. Agave is suitable for diabetics (like me) since it has a low glycemic value. It does have 60 calories per tablespoon (both chocolate and regular) so it is rather high in calories.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:34 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I use the recipe on the back of Karo's light corn syrup bottles, it comes out perfect every year.

I use that recipe too! I throw in a handful or two of chocolate chips & the pie always turns out great

Courtney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes