Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 09:07 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times

Advertisements

This is one of my oldest, most wrinkled and splattered recipes. It's from 1994 found in one of my women's magazines. This is a great all-around recipe for chili that's not too spicy (you can always doctor it up if you like). Kids and adults love it. It's easy to eat and great for those fall and winter nights when it's cold out.

TURKEY CHILI

1 pkg (about 1 1/4 lb.) JENNIE-O Lean Ground Turkey
1 can (16 oz.) kidney or pinto beans, undrained (we like pinto beans)
1 can (16 oz.) stewed tomatoes
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
2 tablespoons each chili powder and dried onion
1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, oregano, cumin, paprika, black pepper and salt

Spray large saucepan or dutch oven with no-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat about 30 seconds.

Crumble ground turkey into saucepan. Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned.

Add remaining ingredients plus 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water. Stir thoroughly. Cook over medium heat 15 to 30 minutes.

Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions and sliced black olives, if desired. 6 servings (about 9 cups).

Personal tip: I go to the local grocery store and get some of that French bread they make fresh every day and serve that alongside with butter.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 12-12-2009 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
This sounds great!! Thanks for sharing!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:32 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
^^ What yankeegirl said! Thanks, I love the tried and true recipes.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:58 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,949 times
you can also use cut-up chicken pieces or skinless-boneless chicken...

Sautee the chicken pieces till lightly browned, then add the remainder of ingredients.

Can finish cooking in oven, cover pot with lid or foil and oven cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 325f untill the chicken is tender and sauce is rich a thick.

serve over some Spanish rice.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:47 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
you can also use cut-up chicken pieces or skinless-boneless chicken...
Or the left-over turkey from Thanksgiving

Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
This is one of my oldest, most wrinkled and splattered recipes. It's from 1994 found in one of my women's magazines. This is a great all-around recipe for chili that's not too spicy (you can always doctor it up if you like). Kids and adults love it. It's easy to eat and great for those fall and winter nights when it's cold out.

TURKEY CHILI

1 pkg (about 1 1/4 lb.) JENNIE-O Lean Ground Turkey
1 can (16 oz.) kidney or pinto beans, undrained (we like pinto beans)
1 can (16 oz.) stewed tomatoes
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
2 tablespoons each chili powder and dried onion
1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, oregano, cumin, paprika, black pepper and salt

Spray large saucepan or dutch oven with no-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat about 30 seconds.

Crumble ground turkey into saucepan. Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned.

Add remaining ingredients plus 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water. Stir thoroughly. Cook over medium heat 15 to 30 minutes.

Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions and sliced black olives, if desired. 6 servings (about 9 cups).

Personal tip: I go to the local grocery store and get some of that French bread they make fresh every day and serve that alongside with butter.
This is sooooooooooo good, i have made this also, pretty much the same as you. Last time i made it i also sauted in the pan chorizo sasuage, along with the ground turkey. At the very end i add beer, it cooks out, it is so delcisious. I heard about the chorizo and beer on the radio talking about different chili's. You can also put the chli, in the winter in a bread bowl. in the winter this is so good. We sometimes have either the French bread, or on occasion homemade garlic cheese bread, my family loves it and i love chili, mostly when it is cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes