U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:32 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,773,634 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a good recipe for fry bread? We've found a bunch online and have tried a few, but it always turns out too dense... Perhaps we are kneading it too much?

Also, what kind of oil is best to use, and what temp to you fry it in? Do you use a cast iron skillet or a deep fryer? We've been using about an inch of canola oil in a large cast iron skillet...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 10:01 AM

98 posts, read 179,215 times
The Cherokee version is good. I just use corn or canola oil, whatever I have on hand. I also use my cast iron skillet. Fry Bread Recipes

Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 PM

11,149 posts, read 14,679,782 times
When I taught on the Navajo reservation, fry bread was made with ONLY a certain (non-national) brand of flour and cooked ONLY in lard. Any variation from that norm was unacceptable .....

Old 12-28-2009, 03:48 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,773,634 times
Here is an interesting article I just found which talks about fry bread... some history, how unhealthy it is, etc: Frybread | People & Places | Smithsonian Magazine

There is a lady here in Oregon who went to a fry bread cook-off in Oklahoma, and won! She has a little purple cart just northeast of here, and we're hoping to visit her next summer. I'm sure if you ate it every day, or even every week, you might have a problem. But once in awhile won't kill you!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,314 times
Fry it best in a high temp oil, like corn, peanut, rice bran, something that can handle 375 degree heat. You will want enough grease in what ever you are cooking it in so that it floats while cooking. Make sure that the grease is ready in temp, cooking it too soon will give you a heavy grease soaked taste. Also don't cook it in too hot, otherwise dough doesn't cook on inside then it gooey.

Don't work the dough too much. I have my own secret recipie that I use, varies from the more tradish. But it sells good. Are you using a yeast or a baking powder mix?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:36 AM

1,076 posts, read 4,046,545 times
Frybread .. now that got my attention .. although just realized the original post is a year old ..

Let's get some great recipes happening if anyone is willing to share their wisdom. 'afraid I don't have any, yet.

Growing up it was a tradition in our family, to have what we knew as 'cripples' for breakfast on rare occcasions. Yeasted bread dough, pieced and stretched, and deep-fried. yum! so good for you too!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:26 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,761,472 times
I will post a recipe later, I grew up close to the Navajo reservation in Four Corners. No one makes it better than my friend. In Utah we go to Powwows just for fry bread, and Navajo Tacos. On the res though, they use a lot of lamb, mutton, and posole in the tacos. History of fry bread is very sad, and made me feel bad. White flour, and lard was all that Indians were given as rations after all the buffalo were killed, and we took their land away. But, if we don't think about the sad history, it is yummy with honey!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 PM

37,407 posts, read 46,074,760 times
Yummmmmmmmm, it's been too long since I had fry bread. I need to find a Powwow close by.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:36 AM

6 posts, read 106,502 times
Yummy.......

Old 04-30-2011, 09:10 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,503,883 times
I have been told that CORN OIL is the best because it can handle the higher temperatures of frying without breaking down during the cooking process, Whereas Canola starts to break down faster and does not cook as well for the longer or higher temperatures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes