Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 10:31 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I also use this and get compliments every time. Their pepper relish is the best.
Have to always make extra-it goes so fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 10:35 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
One softened block of cream cheese, topped with Red or Green Hot Pepper Jelly/Jam.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:56 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Sun Dried Tomato Spread

1 can tomato paste
1/2 cup sun dried tomatos (I use the ones that you reconstitute instead of the oily jarred kind)
1/4 cup olive oil - add more to taste
dried Oregano - approx. 1 tsp or to taste
1/4 tsp sugar
1 large garlic clove, minced
red pepper flakes to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in processor or blender and that's it.

This spread goes great on crackers with:
cheese
hummus
baba ganoush
and even on top of pasta or polenta

This stuff is habit forming if you love tomatoes. The flavor is intense.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnhoneypot View Post
I made this yesterday to take over to my parent's house last night. It was good. I did however doctor it up though with added chopped onions, green bell pepper. I just about burned up the motor on my food processor mixing it all together. It was really, really thick. In fact I had to add a lil milk. Everyone loved it though.
You are like me......you take the basic recipe and 'adjust it'......

Did you make it when the cream cheese was fresh out of the fridge or cold (and harder?)

I'm glad it turned out for you......

Old 12-27-2009, 03:46 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Here is one that I got out of a little holiday Betty Crocker cookbook eons ago...I've made it so many times that it's one of my signature recipes...here is the actual recipe and then read below to see how 'I make it mine':

Beer Cheese Spread

1 lb. extra sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
3/4 cup beer
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon red pepper cheese

Place all ingredients in a blender container. Cover and blend on high speed, stopping blender occasionally to scrape sides, until smooth, 2-3 minutes. Spoon into crock. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
About 2.5 cups.

I am one who makes something a few times and then ceases to measure...I always use more (of everything), than what it calls for because this is a crowd-pleaser.

Here is what I have learned over the years:

I buy the 2 lb. brick of Tillamook white cheddar from Costco and use about 2/3 of it...it's in a black, waxy wrapper... Any sharp white will do though....sharp white from Canada is also very good but it's a bit pricey...

Open the beer ahead of time so that it'll go flat...room temp is fine...you'll have a few swallows left in the bottle....don't let it go to waste...drink it...

I only use unsalted butter...(heck, there's enough salt packed into the cheese)...the softer the better, or even melt it somewhat in the microwave to help speed things along, (I am all for speeding things along)... And I use about 2/3 of a stick of butter.

After a few experiments over the years, I only use Corona...the brand of beer will definitely alter the taste...i.e. Heineken is a LOT different than Corona...and I never use low-cal beer either.....I tried low-cal Corona one time and it made it watery-tasting.

I use more than a teaspoon of dry mustard....(maybe even closer to a tablespoon)....and I mix two kinds--regular dry mustard AND hot, dry mustard, (as in Chinese---not always easy to find). The hot mustard won't make it hot---it'll make it tangy.

I never measure the Tabasco...and I use more than 1/8, but not a lot. (Be careful during your first few times at this recipe---too much and it will definitely start to taste like something other than beer cheese).

After a few tries, (trust me, you'll make this more than once), you will get the consistency that you like....remember, once you chill, it'll thicken up... BUT, I have also been known to shred more cheese into it at the last minute (after it has been blended and I am not happy with the thickness), if I have added too much beer....

It's fairly hard when you first take it out of the fridge...(forget the 4-hour chill time. I make it the day before the party)...it'll break crackers... Let it soften up before serving...

At room temp, (after an hour or so, if it lasts that long), you might see a little of the liquid (beer) separate from the cheese....just give it a stir.

Don't serve this to recovering alcoholics....it's not baked so the liquor doesn't evaporate.....

Sorry if I didn't catch all the typos. I need a new keyboard.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnhoneypot View Post
I made this yesterday to take over to my parent's house last night. It was good. I did however doctor it up though with added chopped onions, green bell pepper. I just about burned up the motor on my food processor mixing it all together. It was really, really thick. In fact I had to add a lil milk. Everyone loved it though.
Instead of milk - try ranch salad dressing out of a bottle next time!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:00 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Salmon Vegetable Dip
2 cups salmon, canned OR 2 cups leftover cooked salmon
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
16 ounces sour cream (or combination sour cream and plain yogurt to total 2 cups)
1 package Knorr Vegetable Soup - dry mix
3 green onions -- chopped

Flake salmon and combine with remaining ingredients. Refrigerate several hours before serving. Serve with raw vegetables, crackers, chips, and bread.
Serving Ideas: hollowed-out round loaf of dark bread
Source: Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute
This almost sounds like spinach dip only with the salmon....I would use leftover salmon, much better than canned and I hate picking the skin and bones...

Old 12-27-2009, 06:33 PM

507 posts, read 2,297,348 times
Quote:
Instead of milk - try ranch salad dressing out of a bottle next time
I could have, but thought with all the spices in there already from the Hidden Valley seasoning pkg, it was flavored enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes